YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

locked knees
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-28 11:11 PM (#23127 - in reply to #23126)
Subject: RE: locked knees

Expert Yogi

Innerline,

What you are describing by way of Rolfing is very similar to the Chinese Medical Massage, Tui Na. (Note: there are many forms of Tui Na but the one I'm referring to is the one that is used medically to manipulate and stimulate the meridian function). Also, there is a Japanese massage called Shiatsu (sp?) which is also very similar as well. Where did Rolfing originate from?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-28 11:57 PM (#23133 - in reply to #23086)

Expert Yogi

Jean - I think the original meaning of "lock" the knee a la Bikram (and this is from a casual observer, not a student) is to push it back and I think many have found this to be unsafe for the knee. No, from my understanding of anatomy (which is imperfect, to put it mildly) there is no hidden benefit from doing this, although some may be able to do it for many years and not hurt themselves. There are human bodies that just seem to be able to go like the Energizer bunny forever and not break - ultramarathoners come to mind. Dancers used the "ballistic" stretch for centuries and many didn't get hurt - but I am sure many did and had to retire early due to misuse of their bodies. Most people find the microbend of the knee with intense quad engagement to be much more difficult and demanding than pushing the knee back. Why take the easy road?

As a total aside - if you ever watch the ballroom dancing competitions on TV, you'll see the Latin dancers sometimes over extend the knee in the same way. But in the past few years it has become less and less prevalent, and I am sure it is because the dangers of such a position are better known now. Plus it looked horrible and ruined the line of the leg.
ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-29 8:38 AM (#23139 - in reply to #23100)

innerline - 2005-04-28 5:12 PM

ebenjen: There are alot of other muscles in the leg. Focusing on just one set, is doing yoga in parts and not from the whole. To fully engage the quads most likely leads to the exlusion of others. Focusing on fully engaging the quadricep muscles, get peoples minds and bodies into active will. Balanced intention is a balance of passive and active will. Your statement completly misses the passive part. Sounds just like the normal Bikram teacher. Do,do, do this, do that, also some of this. To ignore something is very similiar to being in denial. And I would not call it safe. Ya, ignore what everyone has to say because I got it, its the quads, ya the quads. Sure you do. Just when you think you got it, life shows you what you missed as substance for your next enfoldment.

Sorry but your response falls into that 95% that I think is mostly hooey. You misconstrue my words by taking them out of context and projecting a lot of meaning onto them that wasn't there. You make assumptions about what and how yoga should be taught without considering context. You also have a tendency to make it sound like yoga is a highly complex and dangerous endeavor that is best left to the experts.

I see yoga (particularly "beginner" classes) as being a little more simple and accessible to the average person with average capabilities. I'm not going to get sucked into the debate about the minutia of locking the knee. I'm also not going to let you bait me into becoming defensive about Bikram yoga. It works.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-29 10:01 AM (#23142 - in reply to #23139)

Expert Yogi

ebenjen - 2005-04-29 8:38 AM

You make assumptions about what and how yoga should be taught without considering context. You also have a tendency to make it sound like yoga is a highly complex and dangerous endeavor that is best left to the experts.

I see yoga (particularly "beginner" classes) as being a little more simple and accessible to the average person with average capabilities. I'm not going to get sucked into the debate about the minutia of locking the knee. I'm also not going to let you bait me into becoming defensive about Bikram yoga. It works.

THANK YOU ERIC!!! I can't believe you took the words out of my mouth and I wish I could have written it myself. This is exactly what I was trying to convey earlier about simple and accessible. This is the reason I hate most American, Yes I did say American Yoga instructors. All they do is try to dominate you into thinking that you are so much lower than them, and unless you can speak and write their mumbo jumbo lingo you are stupid and not capable of doing this Yoga practice. To me this is the BS!! What is it with you people?? Half the stuff that was writtien in these previous posts are so technical that my mind just blows into smitherines when I try to read it. Which BTW, I have Marylin Barnett's Hot Yoga Book that I'm going to send you Jean, that will really blow you away, you may want to have someone read you the instructions on each little step cause I doubt you can remember each detail before entering each posture. Sorry, like I said earlier, I will take a million days of dealing with Bikram's simple broken English, eating Dal if I had to, any day compared to this, no way and no thanks. Besides, the body does have a way of KNOWING...you really do not need a teacher to do Yoga, only some really good instruction from a teacher from a good lineage will get you going, the rest falls into place...I'm a great example of this and is why I do Yoga at home.

Sometimes I do not know why I wasted so much time here, but for anyone who is reading this forum and your not sure about Bikram and you've seen all this..I wish you the best of luck, and don't listen to half of this garbage...listen to your own intuition and don't worry about your buttocks being tucked in, locking or unlocking your knees, and whatever. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE TECHNICAL to do YOGA...ANY kind of Yoga. Just do the best you can, do what is best for you, take a break - no one is going to push you where you don't want to go - only you have control over that one!! Just go out and do it and Have a great time!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-29 10:35 AM (#23146 - in reply to #23142)

Expert Yogi

Eric and Cyndi - You are both right that the average student does not need to know all the technicalities of the alignment of poses, but the TEACHER does need to know it. I would never go into the intricate details of the knee in a beginner class, but I know what to watch for and can quickly give extra help to anyone who may be about to hurt themselves. Cyndi, you yourself said you need guidance from someone knowledgable to get you started and you are absolutely right. You can practice on your own for a good long time and then you will come to a place where you need more instruction - you will become stale or injure yourself or just get curious about how to go deeper in some pose or learn some new poses. Then you go back to the experienced person or someone new and gain some more knowledge and on you go. Some of us do that weekly and some less frequently.

And Cyndi - please consider (and I am saying this in the kindest possible way because I think you mean well) that you accuse many on this board of negativity especially toward Bikram yoga, but you yourself frequently rant on and on about how you hate all American yoga, all the American yoga studios and all American yoga teachers. That is pretty harsh coming from someone who does not actually attend classes in any style.

Eric - I don't think you need to worry about innerline wanting to convert you from Bikram since he is a Bikram teacher.....
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-04-29 10:39 AM (#23148 - in reply to #23004)

Cyndi, some of us actually enjoy detail and find it interesting, not condescending or stifling at all. If you prefer not to learn that way, fine, but do not assume that everyone responds to such instruction in the same manner. Also, while I am glad you have not had any injuries yet, those "details" can make a huge difference, when faced with one. To each their own, but I am finding your constant sermonizing on all this a bit tiresome. I think we all get it.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-29 11:12 AM (#23157 - in reply to #23146)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-04-29 10:35 AM

And Cyndi - please consider (and I am saying this in the kindest possible way because I think you mean well) that you accuse many on this board of negativity especially toward Bikram yoga, but you yourself frequently rant on and on about how you hate all American yoga, all the American yoga studios and all American yoga teachers. That is pretty harsh coming from someone who does not actually attend classes in any style.

Dear Tourist,

Consider your comments duely considered, duely noted and appreciated - you are one of the kinder ones As for my comments about *some* NOT ALL American Yoga, I didn't single anyone in particular out - yet. I'm sorry that is my observation from experience in all the types of Yoga with Americans that I've experienced...not to mention all the reading that I do - this is how I have learned. I totally agree with you about the fact that IF, you have a good instructor, then by all means learn everything you can and do what you have to do...learn all the technical stuff you want. But...I mean this, it is NOT a requirement to do the YOGA practice. You can read simple verbal instructions about how to do most of these asana's and practice them successfully, that is what I'm saying. If you want to go deeper, then of course you would need a live teacher or more instruction.....I think most of us have the common sense to seek that out when we have reached that level. BTW, most if not all of my YOGA studies and instructions have come from India, the American version of Yoga is totally confusing to me and that is me being honest. Like I have always said, I started out with a great Bikram Instructor who taught me a lot, I am grateful, but..the instructions I've received from Bikram and other Indian Yogi's and Masters have been more beneficial to me because of the simplicity. If there are people like Maria that like the technical lingo, fine, go for it, but don't make claims that everyone else is wrong for doing it in simple form and we are not stupid or ignorant because we CHOOSE not to fill our heads with all that...I like my mind to stay very clear.

Maria, I'm sorry you think I'm preaching...but, some people don't get it and I didn't take all my precious time out to type all this for nothing...so let us keep clearing the air...this is all really good stuff, I always love cleaning house and it is spring after all
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-29 11:39 AM (#23162 - in reply to #23004)

Totally agree that most students don't need all the micro-details of each pose. Especially beginning students, that's just too much to remember and they get overwhelmed, then bored, then you never see them again. Then they might miss out on the simple yet powerful joy of just being in the poses!

But, as a teacher, I find the anatomical minutiae very interesting, even though I'll probably never use all the medical jargon in a class. It still helps me to understand the poses better and find new ways to communicate them to my students. As does reading everything I can get my hands on! I may not agree with or practice all the styles I read about, but knowing as much as I can about everything helps me become a better teacher, IMHO.

And it makes me feel like a smarty-pants!
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-29 11:51 AM (#23163 - in reply to #23162)

jeansyoga - 2005-04-29 10:39 AM
But, as a teacher, I find the anatomical minutiae very interesting, even though I'll probably never use all the medical jargon in a class. It still helps me to understand the poses better and find new ways to communicate them to my students. As does reading everything I can get my hands on! I may not agree with or practice all the styles I read about, but knowing as much as I can about everything helps me become a better teacher, IMHO.

And it makes me feel like a smarty-pants!

here! here!

and as a side note, i wonder if you have a "pants" fetish?
"jeansyoga" "smarty-pants" and that is a dog on your avatar...
i dont know about yours, but my dog, PANTS!!!!

Dee
yogabrian
Posted 2005-04-29 11:56 AM (#23166 - in reply to #23004)

I agree with Tourist. The average beginner for the most part will not grasp detailed anatomy and kinesology of the Asanas. Most just want to stretch and feel better. However Yoga can be dangerous if done incorrectly. You are putting the body in various potentially damaging postions if not guided correctly. This is part of what getting proper instruction is about. The person teaching must have sufficient knowledge of both asana and science of the body.

I also agree with innerline to a certain degree about over focusing on the pulling up on the quads. The movement you are encouraging is not a natural one to gravity or how we are build as humans in conjenction to standing. This motion would encourage instablity in the knee joint and decrease a persons ability to balance correctly and safely. Perhaps this is why so many people can't do the standing series all the way through without falling out of the poses. I would suggest perhaps encourage student to push their weight down into the floor. This would activate the quad correctly with gravity and encourage proper balance.

I have heard (not confirmed yet) That Bikram has updated his dialogue to omit the term "locked knee". It is interesting to note also that Bikram has photos up in his studio of him doing the asanas. There are shots of him NOT hyperextending his knees in the standing series and indeed doing the asanas with a small bend in the knee. If Bikram personally doesn't hyperextend his knees why should anyone else who practices Bikram yoga do it?
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2005-04-29 1:16 PM (#23171 - in reply to #23004)

I find that simply extending my energy through the bottom of my foot, my leg is firm & straight. The action also brings my hip back in line with my knee as opposed to sagging to the side.

Cyndi: "but for anyone who is reading this forum and your not sure about Bikram and you've seen all this..I wish you the best of luck, and don't listen to half of this garbage...listen to your own intuition and don't worry about your buttocks being tucked in, locking or unlocking your knees, and whatever. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE TECHNICAL to do YOGA...ANY kind of Yoga. Just do the best you can, do what is best for you, take a break - no one is going to push you where you don't want to go - only you have control over that one!! Just go out and do it and Have a great time!"

If I had known about tucking my tailbone in backbends, I could have avoided 2 years of back pain. Having a little technical knowledge under your belt can save you a lot of grief later. "Just go out & do it & have a great time" is such an American attitude -- I'm surprised to hear it from you
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-29 1:51 PM (#23178 - in reply to #23004)
Subject: pants fetish

Dee - I think I do have a pants fetish! I never realized it . . . all the animals get pantsy nicknames though. I'm always calling them Mr. Fluffypants or Mrs. Barkypants instead of their real names (Dennis and Xuxa)!

But, realizing I have a problem is the first step to recovery, no?
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-29 4:04 PM (#23184 - in reply to #23178)
Subject: RE: pants fetish

jeansyoga - 2005-04-29 12:51 PM

Dee - I think I do have a pants fetish! I never realized it . . . all the animals get pantsy nicknames though. I'm always calling them Mr. Fluffypants or Mrs. Barkypants instead of their real names (Dennis and Xuxa)!

But, realizing I have a problem is the first step to recovery, no?

ahhh yessss....
*The Great Darlini* knows all and sees all...!!

Does that mean i am tele-pant-thic?

Dee
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-29 11:09 PM (#23209 - in reply to #23184)
Subject: RE: pants fetish

Expert Yogi

You gals have it easy. There just ain't no decent yoga pants for men.
I blame the Yoga Journal for not making an issue of this sexist situation!!

ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-29 11:16 PM (#23212 - in reply to #23004)

Just a few general (rambling) comments...

Context is everything.

I would never critique a posture by looking at a photograph, just as I would not critique a posture simply by reading a written description of it. On the other hand, if I did, I would probably include the disclaimer, "of course, this is theoretical, I'd prefer to see what you're doing in the flesh."

I keep a copy of BKS Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" at my front desk so I pulled it out this morning and looked to see what he had to say about the knee in standing postures. First thing I noticed is that there are three distinct photos of him standing on one leg with what appears to be a hyperextended knee. Imagine that. Further, he has a paragraph talking about the importance of standing properly in which he basically says it's important to "pull the knee caps up," to keep the feet parallel, and to distribute the weight evenly on the feet, all of which is consistent with the Bikram Method. There doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about the dangers of yoga in this book which seems to be geared towards a mass market, ie, beginners as well as experienced practitioners. In fact, most of his instructions are brief and basic, rarely taking more than one or two sentences to describe the different parts of a posture.

I haven't tried Iyengar Yoga yet but I'm going to someday.

I think I referred to jeansyoga as yogajeans earlier. If so, sorry about that. I don't track some of the names very well.

There are many safety features built into the Bikram Yoga method. Much of what I'm learning from the wonderful book, "Anatomy of Hatha Yoga" by H. David Coulter supports this. It's a dense book and highly technical so I'm working my way through it sporadically and slowly.

Aren't there thousands of Bikram Yoga* teachers in the world? Who could possibly know enough of them personally, or even second-hand, to make vast sweeping statements about what *most* of them are like?

* substitute any other categorization and the point remains.

Whenever I see a prolonged and heated debate, I think of the words, "Methinks thou dost protest too much."

One of my favorite quotes from my training is from Emmie Cleaves: "This isn't your Om-Shakti-Shanti Yoga, this is Bikram Yoga!" (Which is really a close second to Bikram's "Eat sh*t and die. I love that. That's poetry!")

I'll shut up now and get back to locking my knee.

ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-29 11:18 PM (#23213 - in reply to #23162)

jeansyoga - 2005-04-29 11:39 AM

Then they might miss out on the simple yet powerful joy of just being in the poses!

Amen to that!

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-30 8:32 AM (#23218 - in reply to #23212)

Expert Yogi

ebenjen - 2005-04-29 11:16 PM

I keep a copy of BKS Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" at my front desk so I pulled it out this morning and looked to see what he had to say about the knee in standing postures. First thing I noticed is that there are three distinct photos of him standing on one leg with what appears to be a hyperextended knee. Imagine that. Further, he has a paragraph talking about the importance of standing properly in which he basically says it's important to "pull the knee caps up," to keep the feet parallel, and to distribute the weight evenly on the feet, all of which is consistent with the Bikram Method. There doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about the dangers of yoga in this book which seems to be geared towards a mass market, ie, beginners as well as experienced practitioners. In fact, most of his instructions are brief and basic, rarely taking more than one or two sentences to describe the different parts of a posture.

There are many safety features built into the Bikram Yoga method. Much of what I'm learning from the wonderful book, "Anatomy of Hatha Yoga" by H. David Coulter supports this. It's a dense book and highly technical so I'm working my way through it sporadically and slowly.

This reminds me of some discussion we had in one of the other forums, about Iyengar's
teaching as it has evolved over time. Iyengar himself has referred to the man in those
photos (his younger self) as knowing nothing about yoga. My own Iyengar teacher teaches
a number of those poses quite differently than they are shown/described in LOY, and
this is a teacher who follows Iyengar's current teaching quite strictly. I would easily agree
that some of the alignments in LOY can be improved (including those knees you mention),
but I'd balance this by noting two other things:

1. Iyengar's teachers are specifically trained NOT to make those misalignments, and
they spend copious amounts of time teaching students to avoid them.

2. Iyengar's book was one of the first book's to provide photographic examples of
many most of these poses, and it includes nearly 600 plates spanning several hundred
distinct asanas. And he demonstrated every single pose himself. There are not many
people in the world who can do such a diversity of asanas to perfection...in reading
the book, I find that he's a very precise backbender, strong in arm balances, and
a deep forward bender as well. He's not so neatly aligned in some of his inversions,
twists, standing asanas, although I'm told that he himself would not today accept
some of the alignments shown in LOY.

I also agree with you about the brevity of the instructions in LOY.

Now, you should look at some of his later books to see the evolution of his teaching
and writing. Light on Pranayama is one of the most thoroughly detailed and
precise books on yoga that I have ever read. A full chapter on how to sit, a full
chapter on how to place the fingers on the nose, and a full chapter on savasana.
There's also the newer book on asana (the great big full color one from DK), which
goes into the details of basic postures in the way that you note LOY does not.

My point, then, is that LOY is an early snapshot of Iyengar yoga. It is a catalog of
asanas, and the only catalog to include the more difficult asanas. The evolution of Iyengar
yoga over the past 50 years has been substantial, and the teaching and training of
teachers is far more expansive than what is represented in that book.

~~~~

On Coulter's book, almost everyone who has touched that book seems to ocme away
saying what you've said. Impressive, detailed, surely important, and VERY hard to read
straight through.
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-30 9:50 AM (#23219 - in reply to #23004)

With response to the attitude about American Yoga and it's teachers:

I regularly attend a studio in town that offers community (free) classes on Sundays, and at one point they were offered on Saturdays as well. Each week a different teacher from the studio, a member of the teacher training course, or an apprentice teaches that class. In a year and a half, there has been ONE teacher who has had this percieved negative attitude. And I was in a particurlarly foul mood that day - so it might not be the most accurate assessment. Generalizations are dangerous, and personal bad experiences are just that - let's keep that in mind, shall we?
tourist
Posted 2005-04-30 11:34 AM (#23222 - in reply to #23219)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - you are so right about BKS. It seems obvious to me that a person's practice and teaching would evolve in some way over 50 years. What kind of a statement would it make if it didn't? Their yoga would be a stale series of exercises and no longer be worthy of the name "yoga." Many of our teachers go to the Institute in Pune regularly and remark often that BKS has discovered some new and exciting insight into a pose during his practice (which, BTW, he does right in the classroom area while classes are going on) - even something as basic as trikonasana - and is excited and inspired by it every bit as much as we mere mortals are inpsired and excited by our little accomplishments.

Lora - **And I was in a particurlarly foul mood that day - so it might not be the most accurate assessment.** This is such a good observation. I have had similar experiences where I was feeling miserable and therefore all my experiences at that time were coloured by that bad mood. It is so good to have that awareness and give the teacher or the restaurant or the movie another try when one is in a better mood.
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-30 8:59 PM (#23230 - in reply to #23222)

tourist - 2005-05-01 1:34 AM

Lora - **And I was in a particurlarly foul mood that day - so it might not be the most accurate assessment.** This is such a good observation. I have had similar experiences where I was feeling miserable and therefore all my experiences at that time were coloured by that bad mood. It is so good to have that awareness and give the teacher or the restaurant or the movie another try when one is in a better mood.

lora and glenda:
this is why i always say i will try anything TWICE.
ebenjen
Posted 2005-05-01 11:12 AM (#23239 - in reply to #23218)

Bay Guy - 2005-04-30 8:32 AM

My point, then, is that LOY is an early snapshot of Iyengar yoga. It is a catalog of
asanas, and the only catalog to include the more difficult asanas. The evolution of Iyengar
yoga over the past 50 years has been substantial, and the teaching and training of
teachers is far more expansive than what is represented in that book.

I understand and appreciate everything you say in the post I pulled this quote from. I also note that the book is still being published without being revised. I'm able to apply a similar kind of analysis to Bikram Yoga, specifically in regards to his book, but also in regards to how it is taught. I don't know a single Bikram instructor who teaches people to hyperextend the knee and, at least among the teachers I know, those of us who use the phrase, "lock the knee," take time to define what we mean in more detail, often demonstrating. Yet I still see a lot of critical generalizations being made about Bikram instructors that presumes otherwise and in other ways just doesn't match my own experience. I said I wasn't going to get defensive but it's hard not be a little defensive about being a Bikram instuctor in the face of such prejudice.

I appreciate critical discussion and debate but I'm sorry to say that much of what goes on here is speculation and assumption.

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-01 12:04 PM (#23244 - in reply to #23239)

Expert Yogi

ebenjen - 2005-05-01 11:12 AM

I also note that the book is still being published without being revised.

The basic postures are covered in detail in Iyengar's NEW book, which certainly
counts as a revision of the teaching of those poses relative to LOY. The main
reason LOY continues to be sold is that it is alone among yoga books in
teaching anything about the advanced asanas. I for one would certainly like
to see a revision or new text covering the advanced postures in depth from
today's perspective -- they are the core of my practice at present, and what
I learn about them I either get directly from teacher or discover for myself.
Sequencing, in particular, is quite important to practicing those postures
comfortably and in their full form.

I have been told that Iyengar did once start on a project to remark LOY, using
new photographs. The problem was evidently in finding a model to do all the poses
who could do them at the demanding level of perfection BKS required! As I mentioned
before, hundreds of asanas are involved, dozens of which are extremely difficult for
almost all practitioners.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2005-05-01 1:12 PM (#23247 - in reply to #23239)

Ebenjen: "I still see a lot of critical generalizations being made about Bikram instructors that presumes otherwise and in other ways just doesn't match my own experience."

I concur -- we do get a bad rap. Bikram in general gets a bad rap, many times unjustly IMO. While there are legitimate concerns about the dialogue sometimes, a lot of the criticism aimed at Bikram seems a little silly. For instance, it always cracks me up when students/teachers of other disciplines knock the mirrors in Bikram Yoga. A focal point is a focal point -- who cares if I'm looking at a spot on the wall or a spot on my forehead to help with balance. If someone is so worried that they won't be able to experience "true yoga" because there is a mirror, seems to me they have a lot to work on!

And you're right -- I rarely see Bikram teachers (unless they are very very new) say "lock the knee" anymore without explaining what they mean. As far as the pictures in his book, I heard a VERY senior teacher/studio owner, dedicated Bikram disciple complain about those hyperextended knees. Perhaps Bikram yoga is evolving, too . . .
tourist
Posted 2005-05-01 4:30 PM (#23250 - in reply to #23247)

Expert Yogi

The whole mirror thing is a discussion unto itself, isn't it? I think we had one going somewhere here on the boards. The thing is they can be so distracting and take the practitioner OUT of the body when the purpose is to remain fully WITHIN the body. OTOH - I just heard a senior Iyengar teacher say "you need to practice in front of a mirror for awhile" to get the alignment of a certain pose right. I just installed a large mirror in my home studio and I admit it helps with some poses, helps with our ballroom dance practice and makes the basement room feel bigger. But often I turn away to get the inward focus I need for a deep practice.

As far as evolution goes - it is inevitable for survival. I noticed a great deal of debate around this during the elections for pope. Should the church evolve? Well - it already has - it is just moving at a glacial speed compared to the rest of the world! But if a new pope can have a direct email address, I'm sure Bikram will evolve to keep his students happy, uninjured and coming back to his studios.
innerline
Posted 2005-05-01 6:22 PM (#23256 - in reply to #23004)

How would someone know if they are out of alignment? Case in point. I have seen many teachers of many forms of yoga doing a single leg standing posture. They know about hyperextending? They even talk the talk of it. Then I see their practice and they still are, not very much though. Go figure. How would someone know what balanced weight in the foot is if they never experienced it? They could just be assuming they do have balanced weight distribution in the foot. They can hear something from a teacher or read a book and think they are matching it. Why does alignment matter? Cause alignment makes being on the planet much , much easier. Being easier allows the body to lighten up, liberating ones energy for deep contemplation. Energy would be liberated from the physical body for subtle body work. It is a matter of velocity. Someone can do yoga by themselves and take lifetimes to get into true meditation. I have spent years stuck in certain postures, and found the resolution simple, obvious. I learned my lessons well, cause I was slow in getting to them. Would have been great to have a teacher point it out. Do you want to spend twenty years in an energetic or alignment pitfall or learn from someone who knows. How do we know someone knows? Their suggestions make it easier and quicken your process. Nothing wrong with going the slow long route. I get paid to quicken the process. It is a teachers job to be informed, take as many points of veiw and try them on. A teacher gains the most valuable element on the planet, trust. If you are not working on the issues, asking questions, trying things on, most likely your not in integrity of that trust. So you will have a whole studio getting stuck in the slow long way. Building Karma together. Honesty is the most important asset in my practice and in teaching. I use to own a Bikram studio, had many teachers. Worked with about twenty over the years. Some did get more training. Not one,did I think was experienced enough in their own practice, in their own bodies, to give help on special issues. But they did and I felt that was unethical. I did not say anything. We have the excitment and creativity of an unregulated field. And the negative of not being regulated which is undiagnosed yoga malpractice. And how would they know? No ones their giving them a yoga test. Our bodies are very subtle and sensitive. Treat it like a peice of metal and it just might be some day. The day Bikram takes out "lock the knee" and teaches people to do the postures the way he does it, I will be singing with the doves. Until then I am taking on this Karma because we are all in this evolution together. I wonder how much Karma Bikram has built up?
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)