YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

complemenary practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

sanjayw
Posted 2005-04-12 5:26 PM (#21750)
Subject: complemenary practice

I have been doing Bikram yoga for about 9 months now. I enjoy the practice but the lack of greater instruction intervention re alignment, the lack of much upper body arm work have me wondering about doing some other yoga as a complement to my bikram practice. Also, frankly I think I have hit certain limits in Bikram for example with Janushirasana with Paschimottanasana where frankly a couple of props could probably help me go farther. Any suggestions as to what would be good? I thought about Ashtanga, but the pure Ashtanga classes in my area are all in the morning (is that an Ashtanga requirement?) and I an unable due to my schedule to do morning classes. Again I want to keep doing Bikram about 3X a week but need something more. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-04-12 6:33 PM (#21759 - in reply to #21750)
Subject: RE: complemenary practice

Hi - I was much in your position a few months ago - liked doing some Bikram but was looking for more individualized technique for my body. Got some great advice here and checked out Iyengar. Definitely what I needed. You won't feel like you are working out at much but it will really teach you alignment and possibly save you from injuries in the long run. The upper body work I do with some power yoga. Ashtanga will do that as well, but without solid technique, you can hurt yourself since it flows. I will move into that eventually, but want to do it when my body is ready.
Maria
innerline
Posted 2005-04-12 6:39 PM (#21762 - in reply to #21759)

I second MariaFloresta. She read my mind or I read hers. Very close to what I wrote then deleted because it was up already. Power yoga has more upper body work starting with downward dog. Need to have alignment training first.
sanjayw
Posted 2005-04-13 5:14 PM (#21859 - in reply to #21750)

Thanks for the advice. Just curious MariaFloresta or innerline did learning proper alignment actually help you get further in your poses? I know that yoga is not a competition etc, but someday I really would like to touch my toes without bending my knees!!
innerline
Posted 2005-04-13 5:17 PM (#21860 - in reply to #21859)

Yes it does. It allows the muscles work more evenly which allows you to relax into the posture deeper.
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-04-13 11:12 PM (#21887 - in reply to #21750)

Yes, I have particularly noticed it in my hips, which is my tightest area. Honestly, I don't know if I would have stuck with Iyengar a year ago, because, like a poster wrote on another Bikram thread, it doesn't feel like a workout in the beginning level. I had a scare with some pain around my knee in December through xc skiing, but which then started to be an issue in my yoga and I knew I needed more individual instruction. That just doesn't happen in Bikram in my experience. I also became curious to know more and other poses. Things cleared up pretty fast and now I just think of my Iyengar as my technique course and get my workout in Bikram, power yoga dvds and hiking. It gives me much more to focus on in my other yoga and I apply it all the time. Can't hurt to try?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)