YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Please help
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

Ashleigirl101
Posted 2003-12-31 4:50 PM (#2996)
Subject: Please help

I have so much stress in my life mycousin and I do yoga to try and take some of that stress but I stiill think thatthere is a way to relieve more stress please help
Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2004-01-01 6:11 PM (#3003 - in reply to #2996)
Subject: RE: Please help

Hey Ashley,
if you have so much stress that even a yoga class can't distract you from it then you most probably have to get rid of the things triggering the stress itself. In order to help you with that a few more informations about the stress in your life are necessary. But then, you maybe should better join a psychologic forum. Or just learn to handle your stress better. Don't take everything so serious, grew a thicker skin, don't let the stress get you. Learn to manage your life better.
Okay, that's easier said than done but you have to start somewhere, isn't it?
Shanti
badi
greathunter
Posted 2004-01-02 2:11 AM (#3007 - in reply to #2996)

hi i think the most important thing is not the technique but your mind ,so just say relax ,and think it will be ok.
nubianyogi
Posted 2004-02-18 10:17 PM (#3849 - in reply to #2996)

Thankfully, yoga can be a good training ground for cultivating the fine art of relaxation. And the skills we learn in our yoga practice can support us in the rest of our lives, helping us manage stressful times with clarity and balance.

What can we do to deepen our ability to drop into a state of relaxation and ease? How can we connect with our inner state of peace when our outer lives are awash in stress and chaos? These suggestions can help you make your way back to balance and tranquility, on and off the mat. Exhale. One of the best ways to bring yourself back down to earth is to lengthen your exhalations. This form of breathing—-as prescribed in the Yoga Sutra—-encourages the nervous system to become calm and quiet, moving the body into a more restful state of being.

Focus your mind. Sometimes when the world sends us spinning, we want to do nothing more than drop into an easy chair and stare into space. But this approach often gives the brain free rein to continue its obsessive and agitated thinking. Instead, try focusing your mind in a constructive and engaging way: Practice a challenging asana or an absorbing breathing exercise.

Minimize external stimulation. Turn off the television, unplug the telephone, and dim the lights—turn down the volume of your life, remembering that outer calm nurtures inner calm. During your yoga session, use an eye bag or eye wrap while you’re in restorative postures to quiet the eyes and the brain.

Substitute positive thoughts for negative ones. The ancient yogic sage Patanjali counseled that when we are disturbed by negative thought patterns, we can recover our balance by inviting peaceful thoughts into our minds. So the next time you find yourself reeling with an agonizing fear or a depressing thought, notice the negative habit, toss it out, and use your creativity to develop a more positive outlook on the world.

Practice, practice, practice. It won't happen the first time

ker4earth
Posted 2004-05-06 9:59 PM (#6064 - in reply to #2996)

Yes, anyone you're looking for advice from would need much more information on what is stressing you out. How often do you practice yoga? A good idea is to live the yogic lifestyle on and off the mat. Learn to breathe with all situations.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-06 10:23 PM (#6066 - in reply to #2996)

I agree with the previous answer. You have to know the Cause of the Stress. Then, very slowly work twoards counter acting it. Giving a simple example: You are a Real Estate Agent in Manhattan, NY. And, you drive 6 hours a day. This will and should cause stress, unless you are a super human. Now, you must start decreasing the driving, regardless of anything. How to do is your own decision.
neel kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)