YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What about ppl with scoliosis?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

jessheek
Posted 2005-04-10 12:19 AM (#21545)
Subject: What about ppl with scoliosis?

Hi there

It seems people generally regard Bikram as dangerous for people with scoliosis and all the fun things that go along with that. I really like Bikram, but don't want to go headfirst into it and do myself more harm than good.

If I were to engage a private Bikram instructor once a week to truly teach me the correct poses/modifications for my body, would that be enough for me to get back into Bikram? I hear people saying that people with problems should do Iyengar, but I feel Bikram is endowing me with other benefits such as the detoxification through the sweating etc.

Anyone have any opinions on this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-10 9:46 AM (#21563 - in reply to #21545)
Subject: RE: What about ppl with scoliosis?

how severe is your case?

i have scoliosis i do and teach Bikram Yoga/Hot Yoga.
some of the postures are more difficult of course. twists- lateral bending but
i have never ever heard this idea of it not being good.
as a matter of fact-
i think a heated room might be the best for you WITH A GOOD TEACHER WHO knows more than "lock the knee". I've seen the yoga+ heat combo appear to change the spine and make a HUGE improvement in how women hold themselves. the visible curvature appears to lessen. i have noticed visually it in my students. i have not done an x-ray comparison nor am i aware have any of them doing any. i have been thinking of it. there is an old pre-yoga x-ray of my spine. i ought to get another to see what's different after 5 yrs.

I too am curious to hear from others...

Dee
jessheek
Posted 2005-04-10 6:32 PM (#21591 - in reply to #21545)

Hey Miss Dee,

I have about a 30 degree curvature with a pelvic tilt... I'm just concerned that there are probably some exercises I shouldn't be doing because the pelvic tilt will mean I can't do the poses correctly, and may actually exacerbate the tilt.
yogabrian
Posted 2005-04-10 6:52 PM (#21592 - in reply to #21545)

Personally I would find a VERY good bikram instructor. One who really know their anatomy and has lots of education in the body. Find someone who has experience treating your condition and ask lots of questions about that experience. You may find however, most(not all Bikram instructors) know very little about how to properly treat your aliment safely. I would advise going to a senior teacher in your area. The senior teachers tend to get continuing education and have a little time in the saddle of teaching yoga.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-10 8:10 PM (#21597 - in reply to #21545)
Subject: RE: What about ppl with scolio

Expert Yogi

Jess, don't eliminate the option of doing both a style which can help you learn to modify for your condition and one which you enjoy for other reasons. You could go to Iyengar classes (or Anusara if available in your area) and get some help and go to Bikram also. You also have the option of home practice. I realise some people prefer the group setting but it is worth considering.
ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-11 1:07 PM (#21632 - in reply to #21545)
Subject: RE: What about ppl with scolio

I've got a couple students at my studio with scoliosis. They do fine and don't need to modify the postures much. One of them has told me that nothing has helped her scoliosis as much as her Bikram pratcice. Don't be afraid to try it for a while and see how it works out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)