YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

possible gallstones and traini
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

pigeonsailor
Posted 2005-04-05 1:04 PM (#21168)
Subject: possible gallstones and traini

I'm getting ready to do the teacher training for Bikram in a few days now and I've realized in the past couple of days that I think I have gallstones. I am having only very mild attacks (really, just twingles of pain, maybe 2 on a pain scale of 1 to 10) in my right side after eating, as well as gas. I have some health insurance now but haven't had time to see a doctor, and I also just don't want to hear anything about surgery. I've looked online about doing a liver flush, which it seems I still have time to do, but I found too many posts from people who suffered severe attacks after the flush. I've also read statements from people who believe that the gallstones passed from the flush are not actually gallstones, but instead deposits from the epsom salts and olive oil consumed during the flush.

I'm hoping that the Bikram will eventually take care of the stones, and mostly, I'm hoping that the stones won't interfere with my training.

Any advice or information?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogabrian
Posted 2005-04-05 1:42 PM (#21170 - in reply to #21168)
Subject: RE: possible gallstones and traini

Go to your doctor immediately and get checked out. Don't mess around, you want to be totally healthy if you are going to go to the training.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-05 1:50 PM (#21171 - in reply to #21168)

Expert Yogi

There is a gentler way to deal with gallstones in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Instead of doing the Olive Oil method, eating apples and sleeping on your right side with your right leg up - which can be quite dramatic and dangerous if you don't know what your doing. Eating apples daily can help flush your gallbladder, gradually. But avoiding rich fatty foods, nuts especially peanuts, then adding unrefined grains, vegetables, fruits and legumes is the best gradual process. Pears, parsnips, seaweeds, lemons, limes, and Tumeric hasten gallstone removal. The milder version of the Gallbladder Flush using Olive Oil mentioned above, which is slightly less effective, is for 5 consecutive days, ingest on an empty stomach 2 Tablespoons of olive oil followed by 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice. Anyway, this is springtime which is related to the Liver and Gallbladder. I would seriously find a Doctor whether it be natural or whatever, that can assist you in your healing process. Shouldn't be too hard to find in L.A. Personally, I like Acupunture and it seems to be a faster and gentler process if you can find an experienced one.

Also, those deposits you mentioned are from your stagnant liver which is sediment that often settles out of the bile and forms accumulations that resemble sand, or mud in the gallbladder. They say that Flax oil is good for removing this sediment and you should take it for six days a week for 2 months. A 160 pound person needs 5 teaspoons.

Make sure you can find an experienced doctor to assist you with these procedures, because after you do it, you need some supportive herbs to keep you balanced and maintained. Perhaps your Bikram TT will be very beneficial for your gallbladder in general, but I would still be cautious doing this on my own if there is a gallbladder/stone problem present.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-05 3:33 PM (#21175 - in reply to #21168)

Extreme Veteran

How is Bikram yoga going to cure gallstones?

Posted 2005-04-05 3:50 PM (#21177 - in reply to #21168)

Wendy,

I'll second folks in recommending getting to a doctor for the gall stones especially if you have fever, jaundice, and persistent pain. Other symptoms of gallstones can cause

• steady pain in the upper abdomen that increases rapidly and lasts from 30 minutes to several hours
  • pain in the back between the shoulder blades
  • pain under the right shoulder
  • nausea or vomiting
  • abdominal bloating
  • recurring intolerance of fatty foods
  • colic
  • belching
  • gas
  • indigestion
  • chills
  • low-grade fever
  • yellowish color of the skin or whites of the eyes
  • clay-colored stools

And geeze, many people with gallstones have no symptoms. These stones are called "silent stones." They do not interfere with gallbladder, liver, or pancreas function, and do not need treatment.

gogirl58
Posted 2005-04-10 1:10 AM (#21549 - in reply to #21168)

Extreme Veteran

Bruce, this sounds a lot like heartburn, of acid reflux, which are certainly more common.
I agree, a medical visit would be great. In LA there are no shortage of Western and Chinese practicioners. Do you have time for this during training?
I deal with my acid reflux by using a chinese herbal formula. I get a prescription from my acupuncturist.
In the SF Bay area I go to Chinatown and have the herbs made up.
It did take some time for the herbs to take effect. (days to a couple of weeks) For me, when I began Bikram, the problem
intensified. I think Bikram intensifies the problem and then helps to deal with it. IF it is ACID REFLUX. I don't know about what to do if it is gall stones.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)