YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram at home: books or videos?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

g_louise
Posted 2004-09-08 3:42 PM (#9735)
Subject: Bikram at home: books or videos?

Hi everyone- new to the Forum.

I took Bikram classes over a year ago, and really enjoyed them. I would like to get back into the practice, but really can't work classes into my schedule, so I'm considering starting up at home. The space heater idea in the other 'at home' thread was really helpful! (question, though- I live in a dry climate- is humidity important as well as heat?)

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on books/videos that could help me get working at home. I was thinking of getting Bikram's book, but would love a CD to lead me through the workout, like an instructor on CD. Is any such thing available?

thanks,
g_louise
Top of the page Bottom of the page
demyfan
Posted 2004-09-08 10:34 PM (#9744 - in reply to #9735)
Subject: RE: Bikram at home: books or videos?

As far as I know, Bikram doesn't have a video, but he does have an audio tape that you can purchase from the web site and in which he talks you through the whole series. I love the tape. I know people who don't want to listen to the same recording over and over, but I like not having to time myself through the poses (I'm sure I would cheat!). Of course, you don't have the benefit of seeing the poses done, so I wouldn't recommend this audio tape to anyone who hadn't been to SEVERAL studio classes first and who isn't very confident of doing the poses correctly. I definitely recommend getting the book. I've consulted mine often.

I practice at home all the time (except recently, unfortunately, because of sciatica) and love it. Good luck!
Gracie
Posted 2004-09-08 10:42 PM (#9745 - in reply to #9735)

The owner of the studio I go to said that Bikram is developing a DVD. I sure hope so, but I wouldn't count on it
g_louise
Posted 2004-09-10 8:56 PM (#9822 - in reply to #9744)

Thanks for the information! I found the audio tape on the Bikram website- I don't know why I didn't think of checking there myself...

Posted 2004-09-10 9:15 PM (#9823 - in reply to #9745)

Bikram's wife, Rajashree, told me last week that indeed he IS close to a video/DVD. Don't mean to intone we were having dinner or something--she was hosting a seminar and mentioned it.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-09-10 10:18 PM (#9824 - in reply to #9823)

FYI, they were "close" to having a video 2 years ago, too, while I was in training. I wouldn't hold my breath, IOW.

Check out Yoga Challenge I with Tony Sanchez. It is basically the Bikram series, sans fixed firm and a few extra asanas. It's about 60" as opposed to the 90" Bikram class.

Peace,
Gwyn

Edited by My Cats' Mom 2004-09-10 10:20 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)