YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air in studios
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

MariaFloresta
Posted 2004-07-22 3:34 PM (#8558)
Subject: Air in studios

Just wondering if other people notice a big difference in certain studios in the air. Mine has a special ventilation system, but, while visiting friends, I took class in a different place and I could really feel the amount of oxygen decreasing later on in the class. Even with a deep breath I never felt like I could get a full tank of air. I didn't get dizzy or light headed - just felt like I was hiking in Colorado in higher elevation. He did open the window a one point, which helped. I just wonder what happens in a really huge class when there is so little ventilation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-07-22 3:37 PM (#8561 - in reply to #8558)
Subject: RE: Air in studios

Expert Yogi

This sounds familar! Some studios are small and unventilated,
and the air quality goes downhill all through class. I've always
wanted to bring along CO2 and O2 meters to such studios to see
whether there's a measurable effect. The humidity can also rise, which
will have the same general effect.
Yintang
Posted 2004-09-17 7:25 PM (#10049 - in reply to #8558)

I've been doing Bikram for a year and half but last night in class I totally freaked out about the quality of the air. I felt like I was breathing poison. I spent 40% of the class in sivasana because I wouldn't let myself take full (nevermind deep) breaths. Perhaps I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should but I think the issue of the air quality is a fair one. Does anyone out there who actually manages or owns a Bikram Yoga College have any solutions? What about plants in the room? Where I do Bikram the owner tells us any discomfort is "our bodies releasing toxins".

Any words of wisdom out there?

Thanks! Yintang

innerline
Posted 2004-09-17 7:38 PM (#10051 - in reply to #8558)

The heating system needs to be engineered for the space. The recirculated air needs to be mixed with new air from the outside as it goes back through the system. So the return air ducts are critcal as well as allowing for new air to come into the heater. New studio's should be spending about six months tweaking the system to get it just right. Small spaces in my opinion are dangerous. You what a space that has some extra cceiling room. This is an important topic. There was three of us that started a studio in 2002 in Boulder. The humidity can be the hardest issue. Most heating engineers way underestimate the humidity part. So if you open a studio you want to go with a 70 gallon humidifier right away and you will not have a problem.
Gracie
Posted 2004-09-17 7:38 PM (#10052 - in reply to #8558)

Yikes, that sounds nasty! I am very lucky that the studio owner for my place is completely anal about hygeine. I have smelled bleach on the carpet on numerous occasions. She has humidifiers going and numerous vents. I don't know if I could handle such bad conditions for my practice, and I definitely haven't run into such things at the 3 studios I have been to. You really should mention this to the owners.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-09-17 10:29 PM (#10058 - in reply to #10052)

Expert Yogi

Don't get me going on this topic! I have seen bad HVAC design in Bikram studios
so many times that it seems like the norm (...sorry, that's "heating, ventilating, and
air conditioning"...a catch-all for the systems that are supposed to maintain fresh
healthful air at the desired temperature in spaces where people live, work or play).
Most of studio owners don't seem to understand the concept of make-up air...bring in some
fresh air and flush some bad air...they don't realize that this can be done without making
the heating bill go through the roof. Humidity control is often ignored, and, with every person
in there is giving off maybe a kilogram of water vapor in each class, you can see that it will
get humid!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)