YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginner
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

LauraBelle
Posted 2004-10-26 8:00 PM (#11243)
Subject: Beginner

I'm a student at UMass Amherst and my roommate and I were thinking of taking a Bikram Yoga class in Amherst. Both of us have only taken one yoga class before so I was wondering if Bikram might be too difficult for us. Also, what kinds of foods should we eat before class and how often would you recommend going to class at the beginning? I've heard a lot of people say that they've lost weight doing Bikram Yoga but do you gain the weight back if you stop doing it? I run 3 to 5 miles 5 days a week and my roommate doesn't work out but she burns calories by being high strung Any advice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-10-26 8:41 PM (#11244 - in reply to #11243)
Subject: RE: Beginner

Go for it...it's NOT like the single yoga you've sampled. Eat light before you go to class-2-4 hours before. Drink a gal. of water a day prior to going and quit drinking 2-4 hours before you go to class. It's very difficult--it's hot, it hurts, and the teachers are nazis. They'll harass you if you have to leave during the class to cool off or go to the bathroom. It's a miserable time. Bikram and the teachers will tell you to go every day for 60 straight days claiming it'll get you in the best shape you've ever been in.
Now, if you're up for the challenge--do it. See I went to Penn State and we're manly men there--bred from the industrial revolution, years in the coal mines so we're tough. I don't know if if UMass folk have the mettle to handle it....prove me wrong...and welcome to the dark side of yoga--and the forums too.
foofer
Posted 2004-10-26 9:31 PM (#11245 - in reply to #11244)

Sounds like great advice, Bruce. I have been practicing Bikram for one month, three to five times a week. Enjoying every tortorous, sweaty, challenging moment of it, too. The only thing I wasn't sure about in your reply was the thing about quitting drinking 2-4 hours before hand. What's up with that?

The only advice I could add: don't wear your typical 'yoga gear'. You'll want to wear as little as possible...well, bike shorts and a sports bra seem perfect. Nothing to hinder your movements.
Good luck!
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-10-26 9:44 PM (#11246 - in reply to #11245)

Expert Yogi

Whoa! This is pretty hardcore advice. I agree about not wearing not too much, but
make sure you cover up where you might want to be covered. The class has lots
of forward bends, and people are behind you... and there are mirrors too. On the
water, I would drink water before and during class...maybe half a litre beforehand and
a two litres during.. but I sweat the way a nimbus cloud rains.

Seems like an age ago. I gave up Bikram on August 1.

Posted 2004-10-26 11:01 PM (#11250 - in reply to #11245)

Welcome to you too Jennifer. Regarding not drinking before class--just my own experience after aover a year of Bikram--drinking before class guarantees I'll have to go to the loo come mid savasana. Not that I won't go if I have too but then the teachers give me grief and I won't put up with it and they get pissy, I get pissy and so it goes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)