YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

photos during poses
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

pbwilson
Posted 2004-10-25 8:42 AM (#11181)
Subject: photos during poses

I have wondered if having someone take photos of me during each asana would help me figure out where my strengths and weaknesses are. This would probably be too awkward to do during an actual class, so I would do it in a more private setting, maybe just after a class when I was warmed up and could run through each asana as quickly as (safely) possible.

Has anyone ever done this?
I know there are mirrors in the room to help you see yourself, but that doesn't work for all postures. And I know the teachers are supposed to guide you through the poses, but that doesn't always happen in a crowded class (which most of mine are).
Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Wulfheir
Posted 2004-10-25 9:20 AM (#11182 - in reply to #11181)
Subject: RE: photos during poses

my studio offers one-on-one consultation outside of normal class hours. that might be an option.
tourist
Posted 2004-10-25 10:28 AM (#11186 - in reply to #11181)

Expert Yogi

I set up my digital camera to do short videos of myself sometimes and yes, it is VERY instructive! I have also hurt myself trying to look in a mirror when I should have been looking straight ahead so yes, get some assistance
afroyogi
Posted 2004-10-25 2:28 PM (#11195 - in reply to #11181)

Well, PB, you can find photographs of bikram teachers on some of the sites of bikram studios (for example the studio in Noosa, OZ, forgot the url). Doing it yourself you are right, after class is better than during class when the room is cramped with practitioners. Please be aware of the high temperature and higher humidity in the rooms climate. Best is to take the camera into the room already before class starts so that it has time to adjust to the conditions and avoid fogging. Same for the film rolls, open them quite a while before actually putting the film into the camera. Use high-speed material or flashlight, even if you think the room is well-lit. A tripod might be useful.
That's it, have fun.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-10-26 8:53 AM (#11213 - in reply to #11195)

I would actually suggest a video.
Given the fact that much of our misalignment happens going in and out of an asana, why not take a look at all your movement, vs. what someone taking the photos might think is "the best" of it?

C.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)