YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bikram and fasting...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

satoripadma
Posted 2004-08-30 1:08 AM (#9530)
Subject: bikram and fasting...

is it healthy?
the fast im about to start is called the master cleanse and to me its not a "real" fast as in you arent drinking just water. it calls for 8-12 glasses of "lemonaid" (lemon juice [organic] maple syrup and cayenne pepper) a laxative tea at night and a quart of salt water (2 teaspoons of sea salt in a quart of spring water) upon waking-for 10 days.

can one fast and safely practice bikram?

thanx in advance for any replies given,
'tori
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-08-30 7:03 AM (#9531 - in reply to #9530)
Subject: RE: bikram and fasting...

You asked: "can one fast and safely practice bikram?"

Having no empirical evidence, I can't say for sure if it's safe to do. However, I'm thinking it's a moot point as you won't be able to do both as you won't have the energy to practice Bikram while fasting. During my recent weekend with Rajashree Chourday (Mrs. Bikram), she made it a point in asking each time we gathered if we had eaten.
demyfan
Posted 2004-08-30 9:03 AM (#9533 - in reply to #9530)

I tried to do the master cleanse last spring and only made it through one day--it was far too taxing to undertake while maintaining a busy work schedule, in my opinion. I don't think I would try to do Bikram while on such an extreme fast. There is a MC forum, like this one, where you might want to ask that question. I remember that there were some postings by people that succeeded in doing Bikram during the fast, but my impression was that these were very experienced fasters. I was debilitated that first day. It wasn't just about being hungry--I can go without food for a day without feeling awful--it was about all the toxins that got stirred up. Yuck. I felt like I had the flu. Everyone says that the first 3 days are awful, and that as of Day 5 you start to feel like Superman, so what do I know?

Just fyi, I did eventually try a different detox program called the "Fat Flush", which allows you to eat organic fruits and veggies and which works on giving the liver a nice rest.

Aren't fasts supposed to help us rest? Maybe exercise and fasting aren't a natural combo. But I'm just thinking out loud. I am by no means an expert.

Good luck either way!
afroyogi
Posted 2004-09-02 3:50 PM (#9618 - in reply to #9530)

A friend of mine just finished a week of fasting under a heavy regime. He did it during his vacation to get enough rest. In the book about that fast the author writes that you're not supposed to do any hard work or have any excitement. Sounds logical in my ears.
innerline
Posted 2004-09-04 4:57 PM (#9648 - in reply to #9530)

I have done it in the past. I am currently doing a cleans which is not the same as fasting but it is close. You need to really stay with your breath while you do the yoga and reduce the urge to try to accomplish anything in the yoga on the physical level. I would also need to go into dreaming afterwards, so you will need to take a nap in the final dead body pose if possible. Eloctrolytes also become a bigger issue when you fast and do yoga. I would have it in my water as I did the class. This is pushing the limits of the minds strong identification with the body and can release these strong binds. I have had amazing insights when I have done this. You are not what your mind tells you and what is happening can not be well understood by anything previous. The physical body will bring up some of its big fear issues and the mind will try to take you out with this fear. Can you accept and be in the unbearable lightness of being. Is it healthy? What constitutes health? Health for the physical? Health of you? Are you your physical body? What is creating your experience of your body? Can we really damage our true self???? Big questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)