YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First Yoga Experience
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

Sariah004
Posted 2004-08-29 12:59 AM (#9497)
Subject: First Yoga Experience

Hi Everyone!
I just had my first yoga class last Wednesday and thought it was so neat. I am sore in places I didn't even know existed! I am going to start going weekly with a friend of mine. I was told to go once a week to start and then eventually work up to twice a week. Is there anything wrong with going twice a week at the beginning? I know I would be even more sore, but wouldn't that be the only downfall? Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-08-29 7:46 AM (#9503 - in reply to #9497)
Subject: RE: First Yoga Experience

Welcome Sarah. Most folk I know do some yoga daily. I find that tough to do as my life gets in the way. I try to get to class at least three times a week. So going twice a week as you mentioned should not be a problem.
redtail
Posted 2004-08-29 8:43 AM (#9506 - in reply to #9497)

Hey Sarah,

Welcome to the forum!!! I would agree with Bruce. You could easily move it up to 2 times per week and not have a problem. I would like to add that if you are feeling pain, be careful. You should be able to tell if it is muscle soreness or joint soreness or connective tissue soreness. A little muscle soreness is normal, but BE CAREFUL with your joints and connective tissues. Beginners in yoga tend to want to progress faster than they really should (we are so excited about what we have found). Just be careful and listen to your body. If your instructor has you do something that is painful, simply stop it. Explain to him or her that it hurts. Be especially mindful of the forward bends. This seems to be a pose that beginners can easily injure themselves in. Do not get too deep into the point where the hamstring connects to the hip (sit bone). Try to keep the stretching in the muscles and not at the point of connection.

Congratulations on taking the huge step to start a yoga practice. It could be the best thing that you've ever done for yourself.!!

Namaste
ballardla
Posted 2004-08-31 2:16 PM (#9580 - in reply to #9497)

Yeah, I started yoga about a year ago, and really dove in--3 to 4 times a week. Then, I managed to injure my plantar fascia while overdoing it in an astanga class (all that jumping around), and my work schedule picked up, so I've more or less fallen into a routine of twice a week, plus stretches I do on my own. I find that works to maintain my yoga abilities and my fitness. With once a week, I don't feel like I'm getting enough, and I feel too stiff from not having done anything for the past 7 days. However, when I really want to improve, I feel like I need to go to the studio 3 times a week.

Also, bear in mind that, once you learn a few basic poses and start to realize how good they actually feel, you can and probably will easily do them on your own without going to a studio or without doing a full-fledged workout. It's hard to say how much yoga I'm actually doing. I may only visit a studio 2-3 times a week, but I often do a sun salutation in the morning, and I rarely sit down in front of the TV without doing at least a couple of forward bends or whatever pose I feel like I'd like to work on. Sometimes at work I shut my door after lunch and lay on the floor in savasana for a few minutes. It's great--when I get up I feel as good as if I'd had an hourlong nap!

Edited by ballardla 2004-08-31 2:17 PM
Sariah004
Posted 2004-08-31 10:43 PM (#9586 - in reply to #9497)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually went to another class yesterday evening and it was quite different from my Wednesday class. It was a different instructor and she threw some pilates into her routines. It was pretty difficult and something I don't think I'm quite ready for. I was a little dissapointed because of the difficulty. I walked out of the class and I was shaking. I think I'll continue to go on wednesdays and buy a tape to work on at home to keep it simple for a while. Anyway, I'm not giving up. I've been wanting to do this for a while and I know it will be worth it! Thanks again!

Edited by Sariah004 2004-08-31 10:43 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)