YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram in MotherJones Mag.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-31 7:16 PM (#20771 - in reply to #20591)
Subject: RE: Bikram in MotherJones Mag.

I talked to the director of our Bikram school tonight about the article. He says that Bikram has a light side and dark side, and when he's in tune with his higher goals, he's tremendous. But the director of my school told me that our school will be broadening out soon to adopt other yoga styles into the curriculum. He'll include Bikram classes if Bikram will allow such a thing, but if not, the school will drop Bikram and introduce other yoga styles. After that article on Bikram and the assurances from my school's director that other forms of yoga are just as beneficial to my bad back as Bikram, I can't say I mind. That article was a shocker.

Jeri
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sirensong2
Posted 2005-03-31 7:32 PM (#20776 - in reply to #20771)

i'm curious cyndi, why do you think he does & says the things he does? what's your theory?
tourist
Posted 2005-03-31 8:06 PM (#20782 - in reply to #20776)

Expert Yogi

Hmmmm- I get a clearer picture now of why so many people say "I love Bikram yoga BUT..." There always seems to be a qualifier with Bikram yogis.

Cyndi - I think I have a vague clue of what you mean. There are some pretty outlandish and impossible people out there that you just accept but those who imitate (my kids used to call them "try-hards") just look foolish. Nevertheless - not my cuppa chai.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-31 8:57 PM (#20789 - in reply to #20776)

Expert Yogi

Sirensong,

My observation comes from the fact that I've been around Indian, Tibetan and Asian people for a long time now and I'm married to one. These people do not take things so serious like we Americans and Europeans do. Some people think that to practice Yoga is like some kind of Sunday School or Baptist Bible Study and its not. Having that said, Bikram is just having fun, being himself and enjoying his life - which is what we should be doing too to get the maximum benefits!! He is also sharing a part of himself and the way I see it, its all innocent fun. We just take things so seriously and are sooo uptight and judgemental about everything - finding fault and critizing. Its a bad habit that is hard to break. Its also about one of the most important metaphysical laws that needs to be observed very carefully. One of the things about having a guru is that they will drive you absolutely crazy - they sorda have a way of mirroring ourselves and basically they are just telling us to "LIGHTEN THE HECK UP"!! It's part of being a true yogi - light, happy, fun, full of life and at the same time, serious when it matters. This is not to say that there are not serious guru's out there, there are. But this one in particular just has his own style and its really okay. As for the obnoxious teachers that don't GET IT, I would keep my distance from them and shake it off. There is always the essence of the truth in everything and that is what I look for, I usually find it in most things. My tolerance test seems to be with these Mountain Hillbilly Rednecks & Bible Thumpers that I live around, LOL!! I'll take on 20 Bikrams any day compared to these guys!

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-31 9:00 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-31 11:11 PM (#20809 - in reply to #20782)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-03-31 8:06 PM

Hmmmm- I get a clearer picture now of why so many people say "I love Bikram yoga BUT..." There always seems to be a qualifier with Bikram yogis.

I haven't met anybody teaching Bikram yoga who doesn't eventually either start
apologizing for his behaviour or saying "I love the yoga, but not the man" (or questioning
the entire premise).

BTW, he's not in the running to be the guru for Iron John Yoga. Iron John yogi's don't
act like that.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-01 4:22 AM (#20814 - in reply to #20591)

Is there really such a thing as Iron John yoga?

Jeri

Posted 2005-04-01 6:29 AM (#20820 - in reply to #20814)

Yes, Jeri, there is Iron John yoga. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Iron John yoga! It would be as dreary as if there were no Jeris. There would be no macho faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which male yogidom fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Iron John yoga! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your husband to watch in all the yoga studios on any weekday morning to catch a guy skippuing work to practice, but even if you did not see them in the class, what would that prove? Nobody sees men ditching work to practice, but that is no sign that there is no Iron John yoga. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Jeri, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Iron John yoga! Thank God! it lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Jeri, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, it will continue to make glad the heart of manhood.

--with apologies to Francis P. Church

jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-01 7:10 AM (#20821 - in reply to #20820)

Wow! So there really is Iron John Yoga. I better get my wish list together!

Jeri

Posted 2005-04-01 7:28 AM (#20823 - in reply to #20821)

While composing your list, just remember that we Iron John Yogis know when you've been sleeping, we know when you're awake, we know when you've been bad or good...so be afraid...be very afraid...
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-01 7:46 AM (#20825 - in reply to #20823)

Expert Yogi

There's been a report of an Iron John Yoga thread on the second or third page
of the General Yoga forum.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-01 7:55 AM (#20826 - in reply to #20825)

Bay Guy - 2005-04-01 7:46 AM
There's been a report of an Iron John Yoga thread on the second or third page
of the General Yoga forum.

Thank you! Now I get it! There really IS such a thing as Iron John yoga!

Jeri
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-01 9:45 AM (#20838 - in reply to #20823)

Bruce - 2005-04-02 9:28 PM

While composing your list, just remember that we Iron John Yogis know when you've been sleeping, we know when you're awake, we know when you've been bad or good...

but can we sit on your lap ??

Posted 2005-04-01 9:55 AM (#20841 - in reply to #20838)

Ho, ho, ho...Thought you'd never ask...
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-01 10:16 AM (#20851 - in reply to #20841)

Expert Yogi

Oooh, that is so gross....ALL YOU YOGINI'S OUT THERE, DON'T LOWER YOURSELVES TO THEIR LAPS.. We must ban together, afterall they are our slaves, we are the QueenYogini's, not lap Yogini's
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-01 10:40 AM (#20861 - in reply to #20591)

i digress...but what can i say? santa claus references get me everytime....that has me analyzing santa claus from a whole different angle
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-01 10:49 AM (#20863 - in reply to #20789)

Cyndi - 2005-04-02 10:57 AM

Sirensong,

My observation comes from the fact that I've been around Indian, Tibetan and Asian people for a long time now and I'm married to one. These people do not take things so serious like we Americans and Europeans do. Some people think that to practice Yoga is like some kind of Sunday School or Baptist Bible Study and its not. Having that said, Bikram is just having fun, being himself and enjoying his life - which is what we should be doing too to get the maximum benefits!! He is also sharing a part of himself and the way I see it, its all innocent fun. We just take things so seriously and are sooo uptight and judgemental about everything - finding fault and critizing. Its a bad habit that is hard to break. Its also about one of the most important metaphysical laws that needs to be observed very carefully. One of the things about having a guru is that they will drive you absolutely crazy - they sorda have a way of mirroring ourselves and basically they are just telling us to "LIGHTEN THE HECK UP"!! It's part of being a true yogi - light, happy, fun, full of life and at the same time, serious when it matters. This is not to say that there are not serious guru's out there, there are. But this one in particular just has his own style and its really okay. As for the obnoxious teachers that don't GET IT, I would keep my distance from them and shake it off. There is always the essence of the truth in everything and that is what I look for, I usually find it in most things. My tolerance test seems to be with these Mountain Hillbilly Rednecks & Bible Thumpers that I live around, LOL!! I'll take on 20 Bikrams any day compared to these guys!

now i am calling you out dear!

santa7s lap is "grosser" than bikram's crotch grab
you said: We just take things so seriously and are sooo uptight and judgemental about everything - finding fault and critizing.....in the same thread no less.
MrD
Posted 2005-04-01 1:13 PM (#20868 - in reply to #20739)
Subject: RE: File not found

miss dee - 2005-03-31 2:35 PM

You have to be careful and make sure your "B" teacher continues their education- (somewhere other than "THE COLLEGE") and teaches with more allowance and compassion understanding than the typical "monologue" class. This is a great series and a wonderful idea to add the heat. No need to make it harder than it is by ignoring present and potential injuries or by pissing folks off.

I often stop class and demonstrate, break postures down and explain them. I am constantly correcting students directly with useful corrections not with commentary or demeaning banter.
I cant imagine teaching yoga any other way. Too bad so many do.

Thanks for the Warning. If I want behavior like that I can turn on MTV or the Comedy Channel late at night. Several instructors have mentioned that his wife is amazing.

For those of us who are not Bikramites and use other forms as our main type, the teachers who follow your advice really shows. They have more concern for the students and are more inclined to deal with modifications.

It's just as important to know when to get out of the monologue as it is to know when to use it.
innerline
Posted 2005-04-01 2:39 PM (#20872 - in reply to #20591)

I am having images of Krishna in lotus with a female on his lap facing him with her legs wrapped around him and her head tilted up kissing him. Very sacred.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-01 9:05 PM (#20904 - in reply to #20872)

Expert Yogi

That image sounds like a Yab Yum.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)