YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram in MotherJones Mag.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

sirensong2
Posted 2005-03-30 5:31 PM (#20591)
Subject: Bikram in MotherJones Mag.

take a look! call him what you want, you can't say he's boring.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/dispatch/2005/03/Money_Pose.html

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-30 5:36 PM (#20592 - in reply to #20591)
Subject: File not found

Expert Yogi

All I could see was File not Found on this website.

Posted 2005-03-30 5:52 PM (#20595 - in reply to #20592)
Subject: RE: File not found

Try it again Cyndi Lou--I fixed the link.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-30 8:32 PM (#20624 - in reply to #20595)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Bruce, but that really s*%ks!! I couldn't read the entire article...they wanted me to pay $10 for a subscription. So, will you paste it here so we can read it, I know you paid the $10 to read the rest of it
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-30 8:55 PM (#20631 - in reply to #20591)
Subject: RE: Bikram in MotherJones Mag.

thanks bruce...i read enough!!

eeeewwwww (insert gagging smiley here)!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-30 10:18 PM (#20639 - in reply to #20631)

Expert Yogi

Ick.
Gracie
Posted 2005-03-30 10:19 PM (#20640 - in reply to #20591)

Yuck, he really should be ashamed of himself.

By the way I sent it to my mom, and she said that he really sounds like a Pr*ck....couldn't have said it better myself.

.....But, I still love the yoga

Edited by Gracie 2005-03-30 10:21 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-30 11:34 PM (#20645 - in reply to #20640)

Expert Yogi

and he has a great BODY too!!!! Must be doing something right!

Posted 2005-03-31 6:51 AM (#20665 - in reply to #20624)

Cyndi wrote: " So, will you paste it here so we can read it, I know you paid the $10 to read the rest of it "

Bikram and his thieving apostles already have stolen my money--ain't getting anymore unless the purchased portion shows him in a lip lock with Brintey Spears.

Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-31 7:33 AM (#20668 - in reply to #20665)

*shakes head in bewilderment and muttering'only in America'*

If this article truly repersents a session with Bikram himself, would someone please explain why on earth this form of yoga seems to be so popular?

I got a headache just reading about it!

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-03-31 7:34 AM
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-31 7:34 AM (#20669 - in reply to #20665)

Bruce - 2005-03-31 6:51 AM

Cyndi wrote: " So, will you paste it here so we can read it, I know you paid the $10 to read the rest of it "

Bikram and his thieving apostles already have stolen my money--ain't getting anymore unless the purchased portion shows him in a lip lock with Brintey Spears.

I could see the entire article without registering or paying a fee. Also, it should be noted that the $10 fee request at the top of the page is for a subscription to Mother Jones magazine.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-31 7:35 AM (#20670 - in reply to #20645)

Probably has his own fitness instructor and cook judging from the Roller and the Rolex ;-)

Fee

Cyndi - 2005-03-31 4:34 AM

ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-31 7:45 AM (#20672 - in reply to #20668)

Orbilia - 2005-03-31 7:33 AM
If this article truly repersents a session with Bikram himself, would someone please explain why on earth this form of yoga seems to be so popular?

I believe it is the yoga which is so exceedingly popular and believed in, not necessarily the man himself. I'm certain he would be the first to admit that he's not looking to win any popularity contests.

Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-31 7:46 AM (#20673 - in reply to #20672)

So a 'normal' Bikram class would not be taught in his style?

Fee
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-31 8:08 AM (#20675 - in reply to #20673)

The classes I've had with Bikram himself have never been quite so outrageous as described in that article but some came close. I'm not one to try to explain or defend Bikram, the man, but I am sure he is well aware of the effect that his actions and words can have on people.

The mood and tenor of any class is ultimately determined by the teacher (and of course by the studio management/owners). There may be some Bikram instructors who try to emulate Bikram's personality and teaching style but in my experience they are in the minority and will hopefully some day find their own voice. I have met many inspiring Bikram Yoga instructors and practitioners.
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-31 9:20 AM (#20682 - in reply to #20675)
Subject: close...but no tiger.

I was able to read the first part of the article, didn't try to get the 2nd part.
what I read was right on target with my experience. classes are l-o-n-g ego masturbation sessions- peppered with insults and profanity.
the grabbing of "the tiger" (?) was a new one. I never saw him do that.
it WAS made clear however that the Speedo contained TNT. ("2 mega tons" BTW...)

all of this has no effect on how I feel about Hot Yoga/Bikram Yoga.
it does help me remember to keep good company- and that in this instance, being "on the fringe" is way better than being "in the fold".

Stepping ever so lightly,
Dee

Edited by miss dee 2005-03-31 9:26 AM
sirensong2
Posted 2005-03-31 12:01 PM (#20708 - in reply to #20682)
Subject: RE: close...but no tiger.

thanks for fixing the link, Bruce. i guess copying and pasting links doesn't work? i'm half a luddite bout this stuff. what do you do to post links correctly?

anyway- and this is not to take away from him as an amazing businessman and inspiring( to some) teacher- but his personality seems to have some manic components. any health care professionals have an opinion?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-31 12:10 PM (#20712 - in reply to #20708)
Subject: RE: close...but no tiger.

Expert Yogi

How about extreme infantilism as a diagnosis?
Gracie
Posted 2005-03-31 12:22 PM (#20717 - in reply to #20591)

A 'normal' Bikram class is not like this. I have never had an instructor grab his/her crotch and rant about their package. That is nasty, especially considering that he isn't the most attractive person I have ever seen. If it were Brad Pitt, maybe I would have a differing opinion (just kidding, anyone doing that is stupid). On the other hand, I have attended a studio owned by his friends (who demonstrated positions in his book), and found them to be extremely rude and crude. This opinion is shared by a lot of people, who refuse to attend their studio now. They yell derogatory things to students about the way they look and their bodies, when they really shouldn't talk. I guess the closer you are to the man, the more you try and emulate him. I agree with Miss Dee, the more out to the fringe the teachers are, the better they are.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-31 2:08 PM (#20735 - in reply to #20591)

Wow that's frightening.
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-31 2:35 PM (#20739 - in reply to #20675)

ebenjen - 2005-04-02 7:08 AM
The mood and tenor of any class is ultimately determined by the teacher (and of course by the studio management/owners). There may be some Bikram instructors who try to emulate Bikram's personality and teaching style but in my experience they are in the minority and will hopefully some day find their own voice. I have met many inspiring Bikram Yoga instructors and practitioners.

I agree with this. but there are SO SO many who buy into it, hook line and stinker. (tee hee)

Many, just as this and other articles describe, respond to him with "rock star" like madness.
I've seen and still see those who treat and repeat his every word as literal truth. (there is a teacher deep in the fold who actually sounds like "B". To hear it, it's almost an exact copy. not in the class only but all the time. very strange- since SHE is American and was born up north in one of the Yankee states! I am purposely vague with details as I do not want to offend anyone, but those who have been to the TT know who I am talking about...) Another Male that was in my TT class from the SE likes to peel off his shirt and brag about his "B" Body in class. Sheesh!

You have to be careful and make sure your "B" teacher continues their education- (somewhere other than "THE COLLEGE") and teaches with more allowance and compassion understanding than the typical "monologue" class. This is a great series and a wonderful idea to add the heat. No need to make it harder than it is by ignoring present and potential injuries or by pissing folks off.

I often stop class and demonstrate, break postures down and explain them. I am constantly correcting students directly with useful corrections not with commentary or demeaning banter.
I cant imagine teaching yoga any other way. Too bad so many do.

Peace.
Dee

innerline
Posted 2005-03-31 3:48 PM (#20751 - in reply to #20645)

Cyndi - 2005-03-30 9:34 PM

He does not eat very much and does steam room or suana treatment alot. I still think he does not do hatha yoga. Might have changed, but in 2000 it was five years since he had a yoga routine.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-31 4:28 PM (#20757 - in reply to #20739)

Expert Yogi

After reading what you guys say about the Teachers that come from TT...it just dawned on me. The people that regurgitate the way Bikram acts and the things he says is so ridiculous and stupid. Coming from Bikram, it sounds great, and I'm totally not offended, because I understand him. Now, coming from an American - that is totally different. I take Bikram with a grain of salt and I chuckle at what he says and I like him - a lot.....but an American who is just blabbering and regurgitating someone else, and who is doing it un-mindfully - trying to act like they are smart and enlightened is not only silly, but it even would sound stupid and downright offensive due to their not having the personality and finesse that Bikram obviously has.
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-31 4:35 PM (#20760 - in reply to #20757)

Cyndi - 2005-04-02 3:28 PM

trying to act like they are smart and enlightened is not only silly, but it even would sound stupid and downright offensive due to their not having the personality and finesse that Bikram obviously has.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JackieCat
Posted 2005-03-31 5:20 PM (#20764 - in reply to #20757)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2005-03-31 4:28 PM

After reading what you guys say about the Teachers that come from TT...it just dawned on me. The people that regurgitate the way Bikram acts and the things he says is so ridiculous and stupid. Coming from Bikram, it sounds great, and I'm totally not offended, because I understand him. Now, coming from an American - that is totally different. I take Bikram with a grain of salt and I chuckle at what he says and I like him - a lot.....but an American who is just blabbering and regurgitating someone else, and who is doing it un-mindfully - trying to act like they are smart and enlightened is not only silly, but it even would sound stupid and downright offensive due to their not having the personality and finesse that Bikram obviously has.

Finesse?!? How much finesse is required to belch, grab your balls and holler that you are a Bengal tiger? All due respect, but I think that perhaps "finesse" is the wrong "f" word to use here.

I have a lot more to say here but at the risk of detainment by the negative police, I'll refrain.

OMMMMMMMMMM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)