YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Too hot?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-13 7:02 PM (#24069 - in reply to #24068)
Subject: RE: Too hot?

Expert Yogi

Fifi,

I'm sorry, Yardbird is a 38 year old Festive Festiva Amazon Parrot. He loves tropical weather and you should see him when he's taking a warm shower. He spreads all of his feathers out and dances around the falling water...its a trip. His species comes from the area around the Amazon River in South America - this particular parrot species is known for being a river bird, whereas some just hang out more in the forest.

Yes, a butterfly house is exactly what you thought...its a house for butterflies If you ever get a chance, go in one. I love it! I actually like to sweat and feel the heat and it is the perfect climate controlled area for Bikram. I think the humidity and heat is perfect in a butterfly house. I always feel somewhat healthier after breathing the air and walking around the butterfly house. Who knows maybe I am a butterfly and thats why I like Bikram so much I'm going to ask exactly how hot they keep it and the humidity the next time I visit, that would be an interesting question. Although, they have these glass panels that are in direct sun, kinda like a greenhouse type effect as well, along with a flowing man made fountain. I guess I need to shut up now since I told Lora B that humans could not duplicate the rainforest, But, You know what I mean, right Lora B????
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HotYogi
Posted 2005-05-13 10:46 PM (#24080 - in reply to #24067)

Thanks for your suggestions, yogabrian.

I believe that inversions are considered very advanced asanas in the Bishnu Ghosh lineage. Can't understand why though.

I think like Bikram's series the Yoga Chalenge I is a pretty comperhensive workout and does give the benefits of inversions from the other poses.

I just wanted to see if a shoulderstand could be slipped in there somewhere
ebenjen
Posted 2005-05-13 11:47 PM (#24082 - in reply to #24007)

I tried putting a plant in my studio that someone told me couldn't be killed. Within 36 hours the leaves all started turning black. I considered tropical plants - orchids, bromeliads, cacti - but even those plants don't live in constant heat. Rain forests and deserts both get cool at night. I use radiant heat panels which take so long to heat the room up in the winter that I have to leave them on all the time. I don't believe there is a plant alive that can survive that but I would love for someone to prove me wrong.

As for temperature and humidity: at my studio, we strive for 105 and 35%. If the humidity is low I let the heat get a little higher and when the humidity is high I lower it a few degrees. I've been in dry studios that were 115 degrees and felt fine (Sedona, for instance) but I've also been in humid studios that were 100 degrees and had a very difficult time (Key West). Part of it is conditioning, but part of it is also just body type. I know people for whom it's never hot enough and others for whom it's always too hot. It's not for everybody.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-14 6:53 AM (#24090 - in reply to #24082)

Expert Yogi

Well Eric,

What you said about killing plants tells me that the artificial heat and humidity that the studios try to duplicate will eventually kill humans:~) Seriously, in a butterfly house, the plants and critters thrive and it has a Bikram feel to it, very extremely hot and humid, but it seems so healthy and somewhat different. Next time your around Pine Mountain at Callaway Gardens, stop in the Butterfly house and you'll see. I really am going to ask them exactly what they do to get the *perfect like* environment. Interesting.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-14 10:34 AM (#24102 - in reply to #24090)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - 2005-05-14 6:53 AM

Well Eric,

What you said about killing plants tells me that the artificial heat and humidity that the studios try to duplicate will eventually kill humans:~) .

That's worth thinking about, IMHO....
ebenjen
Posted 2005-05-14 10:22 PM (#24114 - in reply to #24102)

Bay Guy - 2005-05-14 10:34 AM

Cyndi - 2005-05-14 6:53 AM

Well Eric,

What you said about killing plants tells me that the artificial heat and humidity that the studios try to duplicate will eventually kill humans:~) .

That's worth thinking about, IMHO....

Not really, unless you're planning on camping out in the studio. The plant in question was in a heated room constantly for 2-3 days (I don't remember how long exactly) but the main point was that the high heat was on 24 hours a day. I don't know about y'all but I make it a habit to sleep in a house with very comfortable temperatures.

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-15 9:26 AM (#24120 - in reply to #24114)

Expert Yogi

I was talking to an expert in muscular physiology this week,
and he mentioned the following fact about muscles and temperature:

When muscles are cold, the chemical conversion of ATP to energy is
slower (the reaction kinetics being temperature dependent). This is
why your muscles may feel sluggish if you jump into cold water and
try to swim. They are indeed sluggish, owing to the slow reaction
rates at low temperature.

This fact is [of course] consistent with the common observation that
muscles work more effectively when they "warm up". And, of course,
you can warm them up by doing some preliminary stretches or
sun salutations...or by sitting in a hot space until your muscles
warm up. So count this in favor of doing yoga in a warm room.

I asked him about "flexibility" in this context, and he said
that the elasticity of muscle was not dependent on temperature.
However, I wasn't sure that he really understood what I meant
by "flexibility"...we yogis all know that a muscle is more supple
once "warmed up" than when we take that first stretch. [He was
referring to what might happen if you put a sample of tissue into
an apparatus for measuring its stress-strain curve.] I didn't
want to get into details with this fellow, as I suspect that he
regards physical activities as distinctly inferior to intellectual
ones!

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-05-15 9:34 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-15 10:13 AM (#24122 - in reply to #24114)

Expert Yogi

ebenjen - 2005-05-14 10:22 PM

Not really, unless you're planning on camping out in the studio. The plant in question was in a heated room constantly for 2-3 days (I don't remember how long exactly) but the main point was that the high heat was on 24 hours a day. I don't know about y'all but I make it a habit to sleep in a house with very comfortable temperatures.

I don't run my A/C in the summertime, I hate controlled environments..mainly cold ones. Like in the summertime, your used to the warm air and then all of a sudden your blasted in the grocery store with Frigid air...talk about using the earth's energy.

Anyway, I still think there is something to think about here about the tropical environments...such as the controlled "Butterfly" house. Those plants thrive with just the right amount of heat and humidity..that is even hotter than a Bikram studio, or at least it feels like it because of the mix. I think the Bikram studios don't have the correct ratio of heat:humidity and that is why it is so awful to do the pratice there....and I bet not all Bikram studios are the same as far as the level of heat vs humidity due to environment, locations, etc. Oh well, this is very interesting.
miss dee
Posted 2005-05-16 2:41 PM (#24186 - in reply to #24114)

plants, like animals thrive in the that's perfect environment for them. shade plants live in shade- cacti live in the sun. fish live in water.we all suffer out of our natural element.

BIKRAM YOGA is NOT a natural environment for humans. it is an artificial environment created for a specific purpose.
frankly, it's not designed to make you all comfy with warm fuzzies. Bikram yoga is about burning the karma- activating the tapas internally with asanas while heating the body externally. As far as Bikram yoga is concerned...Butterfly houses are warm and a little humid. the idea of butterflies and yoga is very sweet. But, it ain't Bikram.

i can hear him now... "what the F*%K is butterfly and yoga?"

just because plants cant live in yoga hot rooms does not mean people are going to die in the hot room. Could you reach a little farther out there??? Is there no end to Bikram Studio Bashing Here??? Just because you are not comfortable in the hot room heat and humidity ratio does not mean it is WRONG- it means YOU don't like it. If it's not hot- it's not bikram!

dee

Edited by miss dee 2005-05-16 2:43 PM

Posted 2005-05-16 3:07 PM (#24191 - in reply to #24186)

Wow Darla--you are one ticked off yoginin ain't ya? Atta girl! Hey, did you pay Jerry Garcia's estate a royalty for that mondo graphic on your site's home page?  Non sequiter--you gonna be at your studio the couple of weeks after 4 July? I want to spend a few days in Houston sampling all the yoga there to complete my teacher certification.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-16 3:26 PM (#24195 - in reply to #24191)

Expert Yogi

Bruce, you have to give us a full report on Darla's place, and
especially whether she gets mad at you for any clever remarks
that might pop out your mouth. BTW, I do believe that Bush senior
lives in the general vicinity of Darla's place, so you might have the
opportunity to meet him at one of her classes.

After Darla throws you out, do sample the yoga around Houston
and tell us what you think. There's an Iyengar community (which
you mentioned is absent is SA), there's a pair of big Bikram studios,
there's a guy named Yannas who teaches Ashtanga (tejasyoga.com),
and there's Robert Boustany....probably tons more that I don't know
anything about....David Swenson is sort of based in Houston, but I'm
not sure that he teaches much there.

BG

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-05-16 3:35 PM
miss dee
Posted 2005-05-16 4:24 PM (#24203 - in reply to #24195)

Bay Guy - 2005-05-16 2:26 PM

Bruce, you have to give us a full report on Darla's place, and
especially whether she gets mad at you for any clever remarks
that might pop out your mouth. BTW, I do believe that Bush senior
lives in the general vicinity of Darla's place, so you might have the
opportunity to meet him at one of her classes.

After Darla throws you out, do sample the yoga around Houston
and tell us what you think. There's an Iyengar community (which
you mentioned is absent is SA), there's a pair of big Bikram studios,
there's a guy named Yannas who teaches Ashtanga (tejasyoga.com),
and there's Robert Boustany....probably tons more that I don't know
anything about....David Swenson is sort of based in Houston, but I'm
not sure that he teaches much there.

BG

How FUNNY!!!!

yeah, Bruce. don't even bother coming- I'm just gonna boot you out anyway!!! LOL!

i cant wait to meet you Bruce, and bay guy is right (about houston yoga- but not about me I'm a real sweetheart!) there are several nice teachers here- i am happy to help you find one-
LOOK! There's one NOW! (lookin' the mirror!!!)

thanks for keeping me light!!
peace!
dee

miss dee
Posted 2005-05-16 4:40 PM (#24206 - in reply to #24195)

re: Bush and Yoga

no bushes here...just tree (poses)

FYI:
a certain "out-of-favor ex-wife" from the "B" clan used to come to my studio. 1999-2001
she was ALWAYS late and always LOUD entering class.

she became more and more paranoid as Dub was in the white house and as her beautiful daughter became more and more popular.
it got so bad she asked me to stop calling her by her first name during class.
mrs. bush? of course not.
mrs. b? no.
let's just say i ended up calling her by a nick name for her real first name.
after 9/11 we never saw hide nor hair of them bushes again.

too bad. they sure need the yoga.
dee

Posted 2005-05-16 5:29 PM (#24208 - in reply to #24206)

Oh boy--doing Houston in July--Miss Dee's fine place & John Friend--wanna learn from the Ansura source (Christine will be so proud of me). I know the Houston Bikram owners--they're great folk--may have to drop in there as well...but first, a month more of Ashtanga then June teacher training intensive--I'm gonna be a lean, mean (beer drinking) yoga machine come August...or dead.

Posted 2005-05-16 5:32 PM (#24209 - in reply to #24208)

Oh yeah, Bay Guy, I've never actually been thrown out of a yoga facility--once early in my yoga career, an unnamed Bikram instructor did pull me aside and sweetly whisper, "Your challenge today is to not say anything." That got my attention--and all seriousness aside, I'm actually a good student--respect the other yogis practice--before and after tho, I'm pretty vocal.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)