YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how many times a week to practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

sanjayw
Posted 2004-08-27 5:54 PM (#9459)
Subject: how many times a week to practice

I currently go to Bikram yoga three times a week. Twice, when I had time I went three times in a row and each time, I found the third day very hard. For example, it was very hard for me to keep my elbows locked and my arms up for the whole time during half moon. However, I have been told that it is optimal for beginners to go 5-6 times a week. Due to a change in schedule I could actually go that many times this month. Do forum members think it is good to go that much even if that means that on certain days your arms or legs may be too tired to fully do the poses or is it better to rest up. One instructor I spoke to said the weakness I felt on day three would pass and I would be fine on day four and five and urged me to do the daily practice. Any thougts. Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-08-27 8:04 PM (#9465 - in reply to #9459)
Subject: RE: how many times a week to practice

I've been where you are mate--agonizing over how often to practice. One day I woke up and figured that angst was overriding my entire purpose of doing yoga--I go when I can now. If it's it 5 consecutive days, great. If it's one day, take three off for whatever reasons, great as well. As for your instructors guidance, ideally, we'd practice daily; however, life gets in the way and something has gotta give. Full time yogis practice continually, full time dishwashers wash dishes continually, full time data entry clerk enter data daily--we all do what we can to live life as best we can.

sanjayw
Posted 2004-08-28 5:36 AM (#9473 - in reply to #9465)

Good point Bruce thanks. However, I do have a related follow up question. You mention that ideally we'd practice daily. Do you think that is better than taking off a day off between classes to give the body a rest?

Posted 2004-08-28 7:33 AM (#9475 - in reply to #9473)

Do I think that is better than taking off a day off between classes to give the body a rest? Seems it depnds if the body needs a rest or not. I find if I have the time and am not rushed, practicing yoga is a rest while not doing it doesn't give my body and mind the rest it needs if that makes sense.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)