YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What yoga poses are good for migraines?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

Annie21
Posted 2004-08-16 7:06 PM (#9202)
Subject: What yoga poses are good for migraines?

What yoga poses are good for migraines? I have had migraines for most of the year. I am wanting to find natural relief for the pain. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Annie
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-08-16 7:52 PM (#9204 - in reply to #9202)
Subject: RE: What yoga poses are good for migraines?

Annie,
Welcome to the forum. For migraines, Marian Garfinkel, Ed.D., MCP-Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, and senior Iyengar yoga instructor, offers this:
"Here’s a modified yoga intervention that anyone can do. When one feels the headache coming on, close your eyes. Starting at the back of the head, wrap an Ace bandage around your forehead, across the temples and eyebrows. The bandage should bring the forehead skin down and back over the temples, toward the hairline. This quiets the eyes and lessens eye pressure. Move your eyeballs away from the eyelids, so that they drop back and down in their sockets. Keep the bandage on for at least 10 minutes. If you feel a migraine coming on at work, for example, and are seated at a desk, rest your forehead on a thick book or other hard surface. Putting the head down softens the skin at the back of the neck. There should be a straight line between the back of the neck and the shoulders. Bend your arms and support elbows on the desk. Inhale and exhale softly and quietly through your nose, with the emphasis on exhalation. Take care not to hold your breath. Keep shoulders down, with shoulder blades spreading and moving down and away from each other. Relax the tongue and the throat. Hold for five minutes."

This site may help as well: http://www.agelessyoga.com/common/migraine.shtm

tourist
Posted 2004-08-16 10:24 PM (#9209 - in reply to #9202)

Expert Yogi

Annie - migraines are a HUGE issue! Have you had them other times than just this year? What have you done to find the source of the pain? What has changed in your life in the past year that might have triggered them? What medications do you currently take? Then there are the yoga questions - do you practice yoga now? What form? How long? What does your teacher say? If you are just beginning yoga, you will probably find it will help a LOT. And for some people it happens right away. On the other hand, my first two classes resulted in terrible migraines but I am very stubborn and wanted to keep doing yoga! I knew it must be something I had done incorrectly, not the yoga, that was the problem. Sure enough, my teacher taught me how to release in some areas that I was holding too tightly and sure enough, here I am seven years later doing very well, thank you very much!

So? Tell us more...
yogini
Posted 2004-08-16 11:49 PM (#9217 - in reply to #9202)

I believe the August issue of Yoga Journal has an article which includes asanas for migraines. You can find the mag at your local healthfood store or bookstore.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)