YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need feedback from runners
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

emrow
Posted 2005-05-04 2:58 PM (#23468)
Subject: need feedback from runners

hello all!

I am new to the thread and wanted to see if I could get any feedback. I have been a runner for way too many years, and after discovering what an incredible exercise Bikram yoga is, I have decided to pick up regular classes and lay off my regular runs. Although I do love to run, I just feel like my body has not changed very much over the years from this type of exercise. I am not overweight, but I do have a lack of tone in my behind and legs (the usual for a woman!) that I would like to work on.

Have any former runners found that bikram yoga changes your body in a way that running never did?

I guess the bottom line is I want to see if any of you out there have replaced bikram yoga with another type of strenuous exercise and found that the benefits on your body are better than they were before.

THANKS guys!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
emrow
Posted 2005-05-04 3:00 PM (#23470 - in reply to #23468)
Subject: RE: need feedback from runners

Sorry, I meant have any of you replaced another type of exercise with Bikram yoga! oooops!
Gracie
Posted 2005-05-04 3:40 PM (#23474 - in reply to #23468)

Bikram-yoga-doing-runner here! I haven’t replaced all my running with Bikram (I still run twice a week), but now I compliment my running with yoga. I have trained for ½ marathons and used to run a ton, but I was getting serious pains in my knees and my hips. I had way too many problems with pain for a person in their 20’s. Yoga has totally helped that. I don’t get the injuries I was getting before (touch wood)…..other than the other day when I tripped over my dog’s leash!! I would say that my body structure has changed for the better from when I was running excessively. I am happier with my body now and the crazy things I can do with it! But, it may be a maturity thing….

Edited by Gracie 2005-05-04 3:41 PM
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-05-04 6:03 PM (#23480 - in reply to #23468)

Emily,

I ran off and on, but after seeing my mother go through a knee replacement last year, decided no more, even though I was just a couple days a week person. Now I try to get my cardio in different ways, one of which is Bikram. You will definitely get a workout and some toning, but I guess it depends on whether that is your only reason to be there. I wanted to find ways to combine the meditative part of yoga with a more athletic workout and didn't realize what was out there until now. Bikram does that, as well as other styles like Power/Vinyasa. But there may be issues of learning your alignment properly and you can find plenty of posts about all that if you search a bit. If you really are just looking for toning, weight machines at the gym can offer that, but Bikram will work certain muscles for sure and it may lead you further into yoga. Try it out and see what you think, but alos just read a bit here on the forum beforehand on all the different things out there.
Maria
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)