YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TREMBLING OR SHIVERING
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

TOPINTZIS
Posted 2004-01-21 10:53 AM (#3274)
Subject: TREMBLING OR SHIVERING

I AM A BEGINNER STUDENT OF YOGA, ON MY 4TH CLASS AND I HAVE ALOT OF STRESS RIGHT NOW BUT AFTER LEAVING AN HOUR GENTLE YOGA CLASS WHEN I GOT HOME SHORTLY AFTER I KEPT GETTING SHIVERS OR TREMBELING AND FELT REALLY COLD? DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOGA OR MY BODIES RESPONSE TO YOGA?? I DID PUSH MY SELF BUT NOT IN ANY PAIN BUT WE DID CORE/ ABDOMINAL WORK FOR ME THE FIRST TIME?????
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-01-28 1:28 PM (#3367 - in reply to #3274)
Subject: RE: TREMBLING OR SHIVERING

First, in the name of internet courtesy, turn off your caps lock key. It's considered shouting and I'm sure you didn't intend to do that, right?

Now second, trembling is one of the many normal reactions of the body to using muscles it's not used to using. It tells me, though, that you're holding those muscles very tensely. They only shake when under stress (engaged or held tightly) or when the stress ends and they're actually allowed to relax.

Try not holding your poses with such intensity. Part of yoga is finding a balance in everything you do. During the poses (asana), it's finding a balance between strength and ease. Don't feel, at a 4th class, that you are expected to throw yourself into a complete poses. I'm fairly certain no matter what you're physical condition, that your body isn't ready for it. Every single yoga asana is an "all body" thing, even if you onl feel it one place or another. Relax. Don't make it stressful by pushing.

Another source of shaking is holding your breath in the asana. First, it's a sign of tension and forcing an asana. Another is pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth or grimacing. Second, it depletes your muscles, which will of course, cause shaking.

In yoga, more is not better. Pain means NO gain. As a matter of fact, pain is one of the only WRONG things in yoga. Yoga teaches us that not only do things take time, but all things come with time. Relax a little. That's a point of yoga for you, isn't it? So don't make your yoga a stress element in your life.

Welcome to yoga. It can change your life if you let it drive.

Christine
Posted 2004-03-25 11:07 AM (#4822 - in reply to #3274)

TOPINTZIS - 2004-01-21 10:53 AM

I AM A BEGINNER STUDENT OF YOGA, ON MY 4TH CLASS AND I HAVE ALOT OF STRESS RIGHT NOW BUT AFTER LEAVING AN HOUR GENTLE YOGA CLASS WHEN I GOT HOME SHORTLY AFTER I KEPT GETTING SHIVERS OR TREMBELING AND FELT REALLY COLD? DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOGA OR MY BODIES RESPONSE TO YOGA?? I DID PUSH MY SELF BUT NOT IN ANY PAIN BUT WE DID CORE/ ABDOMINAL WORK FOR ME THE FIRST TIME?????
Posted 2004-03-25 11:08 AM (#4823 - in reply to #3274)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)