YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bikram yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Joan Quinn
Posted 2003-02-22 7:58 PM (#1386)
Subject: bikram yoga

i went to a bikram class, which really kicked my butt. later on that day i expirienced irregular heart beats and very fast beating of the heart. is bikram not good for me? should i try another style of yoga? By the way, i have a minor case of mitral valve prolapse.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Erin
Posted 2003-02-24 9:08 AM (#1393 - in reply to #1386)
Subject: bikram yoga

As I'm sure you experienced, Bikram yoga is practiced in a very hot room...usually over 100 degrees. It is a practice used for detoxification and not something you need to do often. (In general, it is unhealthy to be above your body's temperature for extended periods of time)

Aside from my regular practice, I personally go to a Bikram class twice a year, if that, and afterwards I am wiped out for the entire day. I also do not consume any alcohol or processed food the week before I go so that during the class I don't have killer toxins coming out of my body.

If you are just starting out, I would suggest a milder class. You don't want to get scared off because of a bad experience, because yoga has wonderful physical and mental benefits, especially for newcomers. Try finding a class that focuses on breathing and posture like kundalini or hatha. Best of luck!
jods
Posted 2005-04-23 5:30 AM (#22744 - in reply to #1393)
Subject: RE: bikram yoga

just curious --- would it not be positive to release those toxins - the negative ones? why avoid them at a time when you are enabling your body to release them?
ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-23 1:19 PM (#22758 - in reply to #1386)
Subject: RE: bikram yoga

Joan Quinn - 2003-02-22 7:58 PM

i went to a bikram class, which really kicked my butt. later on that day i expirienced irregular heart beats and very fast beating of the heart. is bikram not good for me? should i try another style of yoga? By the way, i have a minor case of mitral valve prolapse.

Assuming you've talked to your doctor about your heart condition, I suggest you try a couple more Bikram classes before deciding if it's right for you. I don't know anything about mitral valve prolapse but I read that excercise is very good for people who have it, especially aerobic exercise. Talk to your Bikram teacher before the class and explain what's going on. Provided you don't push yourself too hard, Bikram Yoga is really pretty safe for most people. That doesn't mean that it's exactly what you're looking for but I usually suggest people try at least 2 or 3 classes before deciding if they want to continue with the practice. There's so much going on that the first class can be overwhelming.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)