YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help on studio design
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogabrian
Posted 2004-12-14 3:01 PM (#13629 - in reply to #13392)
Subject: RE: Need help on studio design

Very true afoyogi!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-14 3:24 PM (#13632 - in reply to #13625)

Expert Yogi

afroyogi - 2004-12-14 1:46 PM

Maybe most Bikram instructors feel that the carpet is less slippery than your sweaty mat and gives you better balance coz it's not as wobbly. But - as always - let's keep in mind that yoga, not even bikram, isn't a competition. So, whenever you feel your legs slipping just keep your feet a bit closer together. However, in a properly aligned trikonasana you shouldn't slip at all. Period.

It's interesting that I never feel any slippage at all in either the Iyengar or Ashtanga
versions of Trikonasana or Parivrtta Trikonasana. Or in Virabhadrasana II.
Slippage seems to go with the Bikram Trikonasana on the rug. For that matter, I've done
the pose on a mountaintop in bare feet, with no slipping. No slipping on the towel on the
mat, either.

This was a problem for a lot of people in the Bikram classes I used to take, but it's
probably also a function of what kind of rug is on the floor. Some are grippier than
others. The instructors always told us that we would build "the strength in our feet"
by working on the rug rather than the towel.

I do agree that bringing your feet closer alleviates the problem, but it also compromises
the alignment that one is seeking.
gogirl58
Posted 2004-12-14 10:40 PM (#13648 - in reply to #13392)

Extreme Veteran

I agree that bringing your feet closer together compromises the alignment and makes it difficult to lower your hips. The primary problems with slipping on the mat comes from the puddles of set that are on the mat. I may try more towels. peggy
Yoga With Jill
Posted 2004-12-19 9:49 PM (#13852 - in reply to #13392)

I just know that Saddam Hussein used a lot of red in his torture chambers as it makes people mad and feel unsettled. I have to tell you that in trying to bring my forehead to the floor, and sweating alot and seeing red, may not be the best feeling. I know my mother-in-law has red carpet in her guest bedroom, and I get an awful nights sleep in there. Is that due to red carpet??? Who knows, but it is definitely not a calming color. Other than that -- I wish you luck. What law suit are you waiting on to settle. Are you certified to teach bikram yoga, or just want to open a hot yoga studio on your own?
innerline
Posted 2004-12-27 6:00 PM (#14045 - in reply to #13392)

I haver decided to not use red carpet and go with terracotta. The yoga flooring suggested is a great idea but will have to look at pricing. Thanks for input everyone. Hope everyone is have a peaceful holiday. I am waiting for the results of a court date between Bikram and open source yoga unity about what his copyrights actually can protect. I am a certified bikram instructor. I opened a yoga studio in Boulder, CO in the begining of 2002 with two others and had to leave because what I was teaching, conflicted with what the other teachers were doing, about eight others teachers. I feel what Bikram is teaching is dangerous. The way it is being taught has many misalignment that breakdown joints over time. It leads to struggle and strain. So since I teach a Bikram class very differently than it is being taught I want to open a hot yoga studio.

Triangle for beginners on carpet is dangerous. As one progresses, what you do it on does not matter. At the advanced stages it can be done one ice. The trick is to put enough downward force through the feet so that you do not have sideways forces coming through the feet. You will not need to depend on the static friction with the floor. I have done it on ice and it made no difference in the posture. You must be supremely aware of your core and how it relates and functions with the core of the earth to do this safely. Not recommended. The average persons adductors (inner thighs) can be so weak that triangle can be a very hard posture. The back of the spine will try to make up for it causing mis alignments and holding in the back and neck, causing the breath to be held and struggle as a result. Good weight distribution through the feet should help alot.

For those that have put alot of time into this yoga and want to get the most out of your practice. You owe it to your self to seek teachers that have been highly trained. Their are not many in Bikram's world. But there are many more in other forms of yoga. Bikram himself is an amazing yoga practitioner with great adjustments on advaced postures. He has great personal power but has gone so far in hatha yoga himself that he can not teach beginning yoga well at all. He never had to experience the issues that the average Joe has , so it is understandable that he just thinks everyone can push and strain to get to were he is. He does not relize how deep internally the avarage american has to change their perceptions of themselves to do successful hatha yoga. Otherwise distortions in actions will be the norm. That is how I see Bikram yoga being done today by the vast majority. Distorted intentions that deform the body over time. Having a big catharsis does not mean your healing yourself. One of the many illusions in Bikrams world and society in general.

Australian Aboriginal Elder Lilla Watson:

"If you've cme here to help me, you're wasting your time. But if you've come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together."

Posted 2004-12-27 6:28 PM (#14047 - in reply to #14045)

Fair assessment of many Bikram teachers I think. Luckily, the good ones (like you) see the light sooner rather than later and make the necessary adjustments. I've seen it first hand locally and have also seen the opposite--some NEVER get it--I don't go to them and encourage others to avois them as well. I enjoyed the hell out of the local Hot Body studio--former Bikram teacher who has other training as well and has tailored it to her students and her knowledge.
Bon chance!
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-27 10:14 PM (#14051 - in reply to #14045)

Expert Yogi

innerline - 2004-12-27 6:00 PM

I am waiting for the results of a court date between Bikram and open source yoga unity about what his copyrights actually can protect.

I feel what Bikram is teaching is dangerous. The way it is being taught has many misalignment that breakdown joints over time. It leads to struggle and strain.

Triangle for beginners on carpet is dangerous. As one progresses, what you do it on does not matter. At the advanced stages it can be done one ice.

For those that have put alot of time into this yoga and want to get the most out of your practice. You owe it to your self to seek teachers that have been highly trained. Their are not many in Bikram's world. But there are many more in other forms of yoga. Bikram himself is an amazing yoga practitioner with great adjustments on advaced postures. He has great personal power but has gone so far in hatha yoga himself that he can not teach beginning yoga well at all. He never had to experience the issues that the average Joe has , so it is understandable that he just thinks everyone can push and strain to get to were he is. He does not relize how deep internally the avarage american has to change their perceptions of themselves to do successful hatha yoga.

Having a big catharsis does not mean your healing yourself. One of the many illusions in Bikrams world and society in general.

Innerline ---

I agree with all of this. OSYU, well, so far I have not been impressed with their legal work,
although it did improve once the woman with Stanford ties joined them. Bikram's "sequence"
copyright is weak and probably invalid. His dialog copyright is airtight, IMHO. His trademarks,
well, unless someone can demonstrate abandonment (unlikely, IMHO), those will hold up
too. Bottom line: don't say "bikram", don't use his dialog, and teach whatever sequence
you like.

On Trikonasana, I really wish that I had spent time on pelvic alignment in Virabhadrasana II
before I started worrying about Bikram's Trikonasana. I would have had a much better sense
of what was required. Also Parsvokonasana first. Your comment about adductors nails me.
I've been told that I have none.

On yoga teachers' qualifications, enough has already been posted here. As for Bikram
himself, what you say about his gifts disconnecting him is sounds true. I'd also wonder
whether he has any desire to understand the average person. It's interesting to contrast
him with Iyengar in this regard. Iyengar had to struggle for years to perfect his yoga. He
was very sick as a youth. He brings this perspective to his teaching. He's also very well
known for trying to understand all the things that his students are doing wrong, so that he
can correct them and teach them better. He places heavy emphasis on props for this
purpose. A Bikram instructor told me that Bikram referred to Iyengar's teaching
as "furniture yoga" during the training. There's a difference in attitude here.

I *love* that comment about the "big catharsis".

Edited by Bay Guy 2004-12-27 10:21 PM
tourist
Posted 2004-12-28 1:07 AM (#14056 - in reply to #14051)

Expert Yogi

Yes, when I read about BKS's early years and the struggles he had, I understood why his yoga is so well suited to us in the west! Very inspiring One of the reasons I like to teach is because I am a fairly "typical" person body-wise. I read a comment once about the fitness levels of the various superstar yoga teachers. Basically the commentator said you could give those people hula hoops and they would stay fit - they have athletic, flexible bodies and the drive to keep them that way. I have more of an attitude of "if a normal person like me can do it, you can too" and I think students see that and can identify with it. Iyengar teachers are encouraged to try to imitate what a student is doing if we can't see the problem from the outside. BKS tells us to take their problem inside our own bodies and work with it to find answers. Obviously we mere mortals can't do it to the extent that he can, but even just imitating what I see in a student's pose can give insight into how to help them change and improve. Definitely light years away from the Bikram approach.
yogabrian
Posted 2004-12-28 11:40 PM (#14087 - in reply to #13392)

Back to the subject at hand!

It just finished installing the PEM flooring. First thoughts.

IT LOOKS GREAT! I heated the room to help flatten the floors and my studio is currently warmer then ever! Practiced about an half hour and the floor are SUPER grippy! Triangle no problem! Bay guy please come and check it out for yourself! I think you will love the flooring. First class is tomorrow at 9:00 am. Will let you all know the feedback!

Brian
yogabrian
Posted 2004-12-29 7:50 PM (#14114 - in reply to #13392)

Ok the floors ROCK to practice on. Students love and after doing my practice on it I love it too. PEM is highly recommended by myself.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-12-29 9:29 PM (#14116 - in reply to #14087)

Expert Yogi

Sounds very cool, Brian. Glad it's working out for you.

Bay Guy
innerline
Posted 2004-12-29 11:32 PM (#14119 - in reply to #13392)

Great Brian. I will have to make this a priority to get. The floor is very important. Thank You very very much. What color did you get? I am also Brian.
yogabrian
Posted 2004-12-30 1:57 PM (#14139 - in reply to #13392)

Well, my requirements for the floors are a little more demending then most. I also teach Martial arts and do personal training so I need to have shoes on the flooring. In order to get the floors from getting back scuff marks from the shoes we use I went with black. It looks real tight. However if was just yoga I would have gone with the sandstone. When you talk to Ron tell him I said hey!

just as a note the floors we SUPER easy to install, but make sure that you get the seam glue. Ron can tell you more.

Btw (shameless plug) check out my website. www.yogicmotion.com

Brian

Posted 2004-12-30 2:24 PM (#14140 - in reply to #14139)

Great site Brian! Wish you well and hope to visit one day.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)