YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

funny knees
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

miss dee
Posted 2005-03-31 9:42 AM (#20684 - in reply to #19456)
Subject: knee update

hey guys,

my knees are feeling much much better. thanks to all of you who helped give me a new perspective. I have NO PAIN now when I am holding the leg steady in asanas (as opposed as locking it so powerfully) and I have not had any more of those weird 'knee bending out from under me while in day to day chores' events. YAY!

this of course gives me a great desire to teach it this way. I want to help my students avoid what I have experienced. now... how to describe the 'new knee'...?

Normally when I decide to explore an issue like this I will read, read, read.
Tony Sanchez has no books. and the instruction on the tapes is quite limited.

To those of you who have been with Tony Sanchez, could you please post a few snippets of instruction or theory that I might share? maybe something that rings clear to you about the knees or an instruction that you found particularly helpful... this could go a long way toward sparking the flame of understanding.

Respectfully,
Dee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
innerline
Posted 2005-03-31 4:31 PM (#20759 - in reply to #20684)
Subject: RE: knee update

Miss Dee: Great to see you had the courage to try it differently with the knee. There is endless depth to our experience with and in our bodies. The challenge is how far on this depth path can we go. Can't help you with Tony sayings. If you want a great resource on the body and alignment, I very, very, very much recommend Ida Rolf's book called "Rolfing". Other rolfers and my self have given the knowledge in most forms of hatha yoga a lot of time and we all came to the same conclusion. Hatha yogas are still many decades from having the deep understanding of the body that Ida Rolf had and was able to express. I have some of the best Iyengar teacher is the world in Boulder CO and they do have good alignment but still miss much compared to Rolfing. So if you like reading, then wrap your head around this book. If you do you will certainly be in the fringes. Which I believe means you will be a better teacher. Rolfers make a living in the outer fringes or inner depths of the body.

Edited by innerline 2005-03-31 4:34 PM
yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-31 8:21 PM (#20788 - in reply to #19456)
Subject: RE: funny knees

One of the things I know Tony would tell you in regards to how to teach any asana is to practice. Alot. When you are done, practice more. Whenever I had questions about dialogue, he would tell me think about the asana then try and communicate it in a safe way to your students.

One of the most powerful things, I learned from him regarding dialogue was to develop my own. He was ALWAYS on my case about not being a carbon copy of him(or a mini-me as he put it). The answer was always to practice and educate myself in the body. Though it was frustrating to hear when I had no idea how to find those answers through practice, I did what he told me and it worked. Once I had a firm basic foundation of the asanas, the words came easier.

Rereading the post, I know that I have not really provided any specific dialogue for you, but that how I learned. After 5 years of teaching full time, my dialogue is still changing and it keeps me fresh as teacher. Set dialogue I feel will burn you out quite quickly.

Edited by yogabrian 2005-03-31 8:22 PM
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-31 9:42 PM (#20792 - in reply to #20788)

hi brian,

if you read any of my other posts especially those from today you will see I am NOT looking for a dialogue. I did not ask you for dialogue- I do not teach "the dialogue" and feel my back "bow up" a little at the slightest implication that I night do so.

also teaching full time for 5 years I need no script I am no carbon copy.
I asked for a spark- a bit of understanding around this new concept of stability and the knee.

I was the last thing I need is a lecture about dialogue.
I was certified in 2000 and that was the last time I used that script.

thanks anyway.
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-31 9:46 PM (#20794 - in reply to #20759)
Subject: RE: knee update

hi innerline-

thanks for the encouragement and the tip on the book.
i am a book-freak so i'll get it asap!

dee
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-31 11:04 PM (#20807 - in reply to #20792)

Expert Yogi

Hey Dee, I think Brian was just trying to help. Tony doesn't have any dialog
the way Bikram does, and I think Brian was just referring to the words that you
use to instruct students (and if it's dialog, rather than Bikram monolog, that's
probably better, right?).

Brian --- I'm sure that Tony would be glad that you aren't a "mini-me" version of
Tony, but a full grown Brian teacher. Way to go!
yogabrian
Posted 2005-04-01 11:59 AM (#20867 - in reply to #19456)

Dee,

Bay guy is correct. My comments were not to indicate that you are a mindless teacher. You asked what we "Tony" people could contribute. Being in that group and having studied with the man for 5 years, I think that my comment regarding the spark your are looking for is pretty right on.

When I had these questions, the answer was always, practice and education. All the answers you seek are in those two things. Once you understand the concepts, communication of those concepts become the sparks. I know it is vague and that it is not what you are looking for in a answer, but there is validity to it. Believe me or not, up to you. I personal hope that you find what you are looking for through practice and education. You seem like a fabulous teacher.

Bayguy

Aw shucks! Thanks man.

Brian
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)