YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

funny knees
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

miss dee
Posted 2005-03-18 12:19 PM (#19456)
Subject: funny knees

just lately I have had this knee thing going on.
it is best described as a thin line of burning in the backs of my knees (knee pits). also, the front of my knees are starting to feel funny. the patella is kind of moving- and I get a tingle deep inside- front the front.

It happens in class, and after class on days where I practice more than once. sometimes my knees have started bend back a little further than they used to, almost as if I am losing control of them. (for example standing at the sink washing dishes... it happened as if someone walked up and pushed my knee forward to make me lose balance...you know? weird. you should also know I usually fall out of balancing postures because of fatigue- not a loss of balance- so this knee thing is very weird for me.)

this has started happening lately as my postures all seem to be deepening due to my more regular, more frequent more intense practice. in the last 6 months I have started being able to take my thigh over my head in standing bow- I can kick out much longer in SHTK with HTK, my locust part 3 is mucho higher. however...also I have noticed lessening flexibility and comfort in reclining hero's pose- and a new knee 'weirdness' in camel. (i have 6 yrs bikram experience- 5 of that teaching)

Because of this I am now fascinated by this whole 'micro- bend' of the knee that it is said Tony Sanchez teaches. I have recently purchased yoga challenge 2.3. and 4 tapes and have started looking more at that whole bikram- knees conundrum.

yesterday I started to play with micro-bending and seeing how it would effect balancing. seems like the balance can be maintained once the newness of doing it a little differently has stopped moving the mind around

thoughts?

peace.
dee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HotYogi
Posted 2005-03-18 12:32 PM (#19463 - in reply to #19456)
Subject: RE: funny knees

What exactly does microbending mean?

Does it mean to maintain the position of the knees just at the point before they lock?

Thnx
yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-18 2:19 PM (#19481 - in reply to #19456)

Miss Dee,

Having been trained by Tony (studied with him for 5 years total, 3 of which was an apprentice/intern) I think I can field this question.

It sounds like you are experiencing what many Bikram practitioners seem to develop around the 5-6 year mark. Over flexibilty in the knees joints due to holding the poses in a locked, hyperextended position. The way that I was taught was that the leg muscles should engage naturally by keeping a slight bend in the knee IN THE BEGINNING. This will strengthen the leg muscles and eventually allow you to hold the pose with a perfectly straight leg with ease.

It would beneficial for you to work slowly in each of the poses in the standing series with the small bend and perhaps even with a balance bar. It will make your practice stronger and believe it or not it should make your Bikram practice easier. After all the 26 poses is a beginner practice ment to be easy eventually.

AS to the tapes. They are great. You should watch the videos first and then try them. Start with the YC 2 and move up from there. With your knee issues I would recommend avoiding the Lotus series until your knees get better.

Edited by yogabrian 2005-03-18 2:20 PM
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2005-03-18 4:34 PM (#19489 - in reply to #19456)

Miss Dee -- I have the same issue! By the time I get to Separate Leg Stretching, the backs of my knees start experiencing pain unless I lighten up the contraction of my quads. I had knee surgery last year for an injury sustained water skiing (torn PCL) and according to my orthopedic surgeon, my ACL is quite "loose". Sometimes I feel like my knee wants to buckle back in day to day activities. I don't remember having the buckling before I injured my knee, but I do remember that pain at the back of the knees. I wonder if locking the knee prematurely contributed to a weakness in my knee which contributed to the injury.

Yogabrian -- I'm going to give your advice a try & see if it helps.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-18 11:12 PM (#19533 - in reply to #19489)

Expert Yogi

This is interesting. I had developed a chronic soreness in the back outside of my
right knee after two years of Bikram. It seemed to be related to the attachment of
a tendon there, and it was clearly aggravated by the locked knee standing balances,
especially SFHTK. That cleared up within a few months of quitting Bikram.
I no longer practice SFHTK, since I find that I get most of the same balance and
strength work, *without* the tendency to hyperextension, by practicing Utthita Padahastasana
and its variations. Standing bow, on the other hand, is too beautiful to give up, so I practice that
with an almost total attention to the standing knee (I lock out the upper leg in that pose,
but that's done with control...). Standing bow is a pose with very complex alignments
(in the pelvis, both legs, both arms and the back), and it's one that invites you to fall into
your joints. I'll probably work on it for the rest of my life without feeling that I've gotten it all.

miss dee
Posted 2005-03-19 12:01 AM (#19540 - in reply to #19456)

thanks for your responses everyone. looks like an epidemic.

I am going to experiment with this micro bend.
(before I try to teach it)

I wish I was in SF and had access to Tony Sanchez. I love his energy in the videos. I know I could learn so much from him. I suppose I already have. I am blessed to have decided to get them. (B Yoga/Hot Yoga is sooo "in the fold" here in H-town. it's tough being "on the fringes" I am so excited to study these tapes.)

I MUST get a TV-VCR for the hot room! maybe try a little special invite class with a few more physically ready students. (TS yoga challenge 2 is the same as the bikram advanced series you know. start to finish- what a boon!)

and by the way- I cant possibly avoid the lotus series-
how else am I going to wow 'em with my open hips? (since head stands and hand stands are not happening- there's not a whole lot left for me!)

besides, tree- lotus -cobbler's (I prefer peach) pose, positioning of the knee -all do not hurt. (hard to think the knee is at risk in that position if they do not hurt...right?)
that dang reclining hero does- and as I mentioned the standing stuff is getting my attention.

also blessed to have y'all to talk to.

Dee
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-03-19 7:55 AM (#19546 - in reply to #19456)

Miss Dee, I'm certainly not as advanced as you and the other yogis responding, but just my 2 cents from my experience with my mom last year. Just please be careful. My mother has always been very athletic (no yoga but skiing, hiking, kayaking) but about 3 years ago she started feeling tightness in the back of one knee. Ignored it and eventually tore her meniscus. Didn't let it heal properly (started moving around too much too soon), the misuse eroded the cartiledge and last year she had to have a knee replacement....don't mean to be dramatic, but you should let it be checked out if you can. I wish I could have known then what I know now to have advised her.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-19 8:19 AM (#19548 - in reply to #19533)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2005-03-18 11:12 PM

I no longer practice SFHTK, since I find that I get most of the same balance and
strength work, *without* the tendency to hyperextension, by practicing Utthita Padahastasana
and its variations.

Opps, I meant to type "Utthita Hasta Padangustasana".
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-19 12:32 PM (#19570 - in reply to #19481)
Subject: Standing Posture Modifications

Expert Yogi

Hey Brian,

Would you explain how you do the standing postures with a balance bar? What is a small bend? I may be interested in trying this if I knew more about how to do it?? Also, it helped me out A LOT in the beginning when I decided to ignore the locking the knee command, I relaxed and do the slight bend like you mentioned...that did wonders for my standing posture abilities...and your right, it gets easier I think. Thanks a lot.

Cyndi
yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-19 3:39 PM (#19582 - in reply to #19456)

Cyndi,

Surely! You can modify the one legged standing poses with the use of a ballet bar quite easily.

for the SHTK prop the kicking leg on the bar and make sure your wieght is centered just before the heel. This will take some of the load out the standing knee and lower back allowing to work on alignment safely.

for the Standing bow. turn to one side and hold the bar with one hand and work on strengthening the leg by bending the knees.

The basic idea is to find a way in each exercise to the load out of the body enough to work on the alignment. Play around and use your creativity.

Miss Dee,

Tony has closed his studio recently and moved to Mexico! Also the YC 2 is no the Bikram advanced. Everything after the double sided series is ommited. Also there are variations on the triangle and tree if I remember correctly. With your knees I really would avoid the lotus series you can make the damage worse if you have not made them strong first. But go for it if you feel comfortable!

Brian
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2005-03-19 9:58 PM (#19606 - in reply to #19582)

Tony is gone?! Guess I'm never going to make it to his training
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-19 11:06 PM (#19615 - in reply to #19606)

Expert Yogi

Tony isn't gone, he's just down in Baja, not far from Cabo San Lucas.
You'll have to make a bit of detour to see him....but not a bad place
to visit (imagine if he had moved to....[fill in your least favorite place]).

yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-20 12:53 AM (#19622 - in reply to #19456)

Tony will be in Cabo for sometime then it is off to China for him!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-20 8:51 AM (#19628 - in reply to #19622)

Expert Yogi

I think I'd rather see him in Cabo than in Beijing.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-20 10:37 AM (#19640 - in reply to #19570)
Subject: Ballet Bar Install Height

Expert Yogi

Hey Brian,

Thanks for that!! I'm going to install a ballet bar across my mirror...what is the best height..like should I install it to the exact area level of where my leg would extend forward for SSLFK, or should I do higher or lower - what do think??

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-20 10:38 AM
yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-20 12:01 PM (#19654 - in reply to #19456)

Bay guy,

I think I would agree.

Cyndi,

I would install the bar about a little lower then your hip hieght.

tourist
Posted 2005-03-20 1:44 PM (#19658 - in reply to #19654)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - this would be a good place for a morror or sharp-eyed helper. You need the bar to be low enough so that your hips don't distort when your leg is up. Be sure to do both legs and go with the lower one. You can always add a blanket or something when you need it to be higher but if it is too high you will twist the spine and defeat the purpose of the prop. "Bikram" with props - oh come on - pull the other one!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-20 3:58 PM (#19663 - in reply to #19658)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Brian and Tourist..

I will set it at hip height as I don't want to loose the intergrity of the posture by it being too low or too high. The reason I want to do this is because I can extend my leg and hold it there, but I can't seem to get enough courage to go forward into the forhead to the knee...this might encourage me to go deeper in this posture. Don't tell Bikram

Tourist, what do you mean by pulling the other one??
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-20 8:34 PM (#19679 - in reply to #19663)

Expert Yogi

I think she is pulling your leg.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-20 9:00 PM (#19686 - in reply to #19679)

Expert Yogi

Oops, I got it...thanks BG. Tourist...I'm dead serious, no leg pulling here only extending, we are starting something new, Cyndi's Hot Yoga in the Mountains
MrD
Posted 2005-03-22 2:47 PM (#19808 - in reply to #19456)

Last night my Anusara yoga teacher made an interesting comment as we were holding T pose. He said "Keep breathing. I want the heat to build up. Heat, not burning. If you feel any burnig, back off."

I've known people with hyper extended knees that hurt themselves if they completely lock the knee. It's not good for their body type. I have to watch that issue myself according to my physical therapist. Since my knee doesn't lock until it's past vertical, I always keep a "bend" to keep it straight, or just a little forward of that. It takes a lot of strain off of the knee. I found this to be very true for the straight legged Trikonasana that other styles of yoga use. I know Birram likes everyone to do things just as he says, but He doesn't know your body. You do. I feel that no one should push a pose to serious injury. Serious Yoga injury is generally avoidable.

And Yes the burning means that the area is getting too much stress. It means to me that you've gone beyond your safe edge. You may have had an imbalance that needed to release to get back normal movement. Maybe some old scar tissue finally broke loose. When that happens it's good, but but you have to retrain the muscles to rebalance themselves.

While I'm sure this statement will be controversial, I would recommend some good old fashioned weight lifting exercises. If you use a knee machine, don't use the one where you are lifting up with the bar on your ankles. Only use the one where you start up straight then bring the weight down.

PS. Nice Avatar Dee.

Edited by MrD 2005-03-22 3:04 PM
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-23 4:45 PM (#19886 - in reply to #19808)

MrD - 2005-03-24 1:47 PM
PS. Nice Avatar Dee.

sorry MrD- actually that's a POODLE.
his name is Frank, and he is VERY nice thankyouverymuch.

MrD
Posted 2005-03-25 2:48 PM (#20041 - in reply to #19456)

That is a handsome dog. Is it a standard breed?

I actually meant that I liked the picture.

I just found this interesting quote in the Bikramyoga site under the FAQ's for bad knees.

"In standing balancing postures, it is also important to keep the standing foot straight and the standing knee pointing straight ahead. If your knee bows back (hyperextension) you should bring the weight forwards towards the toes so as to engage the quadriceps muscle ("lock the knee") and lift the kneecap upwards. This action brings the leg into one line and brings true strength to the knees."

Brent2344
Posted 2005-03-30 10:29 AM (#20542 - in reply to #19582)

Do you know why Tony has closed his school and what his plans are for teacher training in the future?

Brent
yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-30 11:54 AM (#20549 - in reply to #19456)

Brent,

Unfortunely, no on both questions. I am fairly certain he may do a teacher training again although I do not know when. Best thing to do is email him directly through his website. www.usyoga.org. If you are ever in the Cabo San lucas or San jose area I am sure you could look him up!

Brian
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)