YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

nausea
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-12 3:15 PM (#16706 - in reply to #3151)
Subject: RE: nausea

Cyndi,

I am directing my comments toward any Bikram studio that allows heat over the bodies natural tempature. As to the issue of adaptation to heat, I respectfully agree to disagree.

Brian
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-12 4:48 PM (#16713 - in reply to #16706)

Expert Yogi

It's okay Brian..to disagree:~)  Although, I'm not sure that your message is going to be heard because so many people are benefiting from this type of yoga, myself included.  I love Bikram he is at the top as far as I'm concerned with the series he put together.  I know that the studio's are running the temps way too high and even in his book he says 100 degrees.  I'm sure when people start fainting and stroking these studios will open their eyes - hopefully.  Then perhaps they will have pre-training sessions about how much water to drink and how eating habits need to be altered, yadda yadda.  But until that day comes,  I will keep doing my part.  I may change my mind one day and find something else, but right now I feel this way.  I always respect my guru's and teachers, even if I do move on to other things and I've had quite a few when it comes to different types of Yoga. 

It's been fun debating though - I love it!!  So, adding a little extra fun here and some of you guys may not like this because it's a little prissy...but here goes.  One of the things that I like to do is I use Jurlique's Rosewater spray to help with heat and nausea.  Rose is especially good as a cleansing tonic for the liver, not to mention the cooling effects.  You can receive all the benefits just by smelling it - this is aromatherapy folks.  You can make your own with Rose Otto, the stronger the better, but you get the idea.  Rose is one of the best fragrances for women and there are so many other things that I don't have time to mention, that Rose benefits.  Sorry guys, I'll have to think of a more man-ly scent for your nausea, LOL!!  As for using it in the studio...better not, save if for afterwards or home because some people are so sensitive to certain smells while they are going through this process.  I do not like to smell someone's awful perfume during class, I think its rude...but afterwards, it's great especially when I get to choose it:~

Caio,

Cyndi - who say's this can't be a bed of roses, heehee (is that awful or what!!!)

gogirl58
Posted 2005-02-13 2:36 AM (#16734 - in reply to #3151)

Extreme Veteran

I hate to think that continuing Bikram is harmful. I am very careful. I avoid the teachers who have the heat very high, I always go to the cool part of the room and, my newest trick is that
I wet my wash cloth and put it on my neck and wrists frequently during the class.

I think all the diet and water with minerals are also good additions to my practice. I'm not sure that heat means dehydration. peggy
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-25 6:32 AM (#20017 - in reply to #3151)
Subject: RE: nausea and compression

I have a sensitive stomach, and now that I have completed 20 Bikram classes, I am also experiencing a *lot* of nausea once we get to the floor exercises. My best guess is that now that I am a little more stretched and able to go more deeply into the postures, my sensitive stomach doesn't like being compressed and stretched. Here is a quote from an instructor at the Decatur school of Bikram yoga:

"Most of the postures we do in Bikram will either stretch or compress the abdomen and so it's likely that some of them may cause more aggravation [to the stomach or to a hiatal hernia] than others. My guess is that stretching postures might be more helpful for you than compression postures. Still, experimentation is the only way to know for sure which postures may help or hinder your symptoms. You should certainly spend some time talking to the teacher before class - a good teacher will give you advice on how to approach the practice cautiously."

Bikram yoga does a lot of squeezing and compressing of internal organs, and I've experienced some unusual side effects. But I think my body will adjust. One crucial part of Bikram yoga seems to be that you set your own pace, and your mindset has to be for a longterm practice to see benefits. So right now I stay away from some of the floor work and just lie on my back while the class goes through certain exercises. I continue to see improvement in my chronic back pain, so as long as I am feeling better overall, I plan to stick with it and ride out any difficulties.

Jeri
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)