YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reorganizing Lipids???
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

JackieCat
Posted 2005-05-18 6:52 AM (#24322)
Subject: Reorganizing Lipids???

Extreme Veteran

I posted this question in the body of another thread but it got kind of buried. On Bikram's website, he says this regarding why the room should be heated to 105 F w/60% humidity:

"The room is kept at this temperature to keep the body from overheating (contrary to popular belief), protect muscles to allow for deeper stretching, detoxify the body (open pores to let toxins out), thin the blood to clear the circulatory system, increase heart rate for better cardiovascular workout, improve strength by putting muscle tissue in optimal state for reorganization, and reorganize lipids (fat) in the muscular structure."

How on earth does the heat allow the body to "reorganize lipids (fat) in the muscular structure" and what does that even mean? I'm also wondering how a heated room "improve(s) strength by putting muscle tissue in optimal state for reorganization" but I'm really stuck on the lipids.

Is this gibberish or am I just ignorant?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-05-18 8:07 AM (#24324 - in reply to #24322)
Subject: RE: Reorganizing Lipids???

Bikram is exactly right Jackie--the environment he extolls is exactly like the equitorial rain forests--look how that heat and humidity has helped the tribes in that area to reorganize their lipids while they practice yoga. That Bikram is one wise man.

All seriousness aside--I really don't know but think you're right to be throwing up the B.S. banner.

Posted 2005-05-18 8:17 AM (#24326 - in reply to #24322)

Good question posed Jcat! I agree with Brother Bruce...the body has it own smarts and doesn't need outside forces for reorganization of lipids. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it. I am so glad that I have frontal lobes and know the difference.

Namaste2
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-18 9:45 AM (#24328 - in reply to #24322)

Expert Yogi

JackieCat - 2005-05-18 6:52 AM

I posted this question in the body of another thread but it got kind of buried. On Bikram's website, he says this regarding why the room should be heated to 105 F w/60% humidity:

"The room is kept at this temperature to keep the body from overheating (contrary to popular belief),

Well, not to be negative or anything, but the comment about high temperature and humidity
preventing the body from overheating isn't simply contrary to popular opinion, it is contrary
to scientific fact, at least, if the comparison is being made to a lower temperature and
humidity. Perhaps what he means is 105/60% as opposed to 115/75%? If so, you'd be
better off at 105/60 than at 115/75!
tourist
Posted 2005-05-18 11:06 AM (#24336 - in reply to #24328)

Expert Yogi

I reorganize my tummy lipids with control top panty hose - does that count?
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-18 11:42 AM (#24341 - in reply to #24336)

*ROTFLMAO*

Fee
miss dee
Posted 2005-05-19 3:21 PM (#24409 - in reply to #24322)

i KNOW i am going to regret this, but here we go:

jackiecat quotes bikram's www: "improve strength by putting muscle
tissue in optimal state for reorganization, and reorganize lipids (fat) in the muscular structure."

and asks:How on earth does the heat allow the body to "reorganize lipids (fat) in the muscular structure" and what does that even mean?

i am going to take a shot here because i am a believer that heat helps in this whole battle of the fat. (dee whispers a little prayer, exhales deeply...)

there are processes during some liposuction procedures where the fat cells are warmed up before they are sucked out and with some doctors...is called sculpting. it makes the rearrangement of the fat easier. i imagine the fat as being just like lard... thick and gloppy when cold- liquid and ready to take the shape it is given when warmed and retaining the new shape when cooled there.

i believe a similar process happens during hot/bikram yoga. i believe all the compression and squeezing and stretching in the heat and humidity (especially the forward bends and MOST especially the back bending on your belly series of cobra locust-full locust and bow) can and does assist in the belly (especially) and other fat prone areas in LOOKING better APPEARING more attractive and more toned. obviously the water intake- the nicely stimulated digestive system and just the movements themselves make a difference in these things too.

"fat in the muscular structure" sounds like a high-falootin' way to say- fat on the body.

"improve strength by putting muscle tissue in optimal state for reorganization" sounds as if it is referring to the external heat's ability to assist the muscle into relaxing so it can more easily accept the stretch.

do i believe non-heated yoga can do the same things?? YES! but i am of the belief that THE HEAT makes it happen faster- easier- and more efficiently.

okay, there i've said it! i BELIEVE this. i teach this. i actually say this in class to keep people motivated... to get them to keep working hard on the floor. because let's face it by the time you are in locust part 3 second set- there better be a DANG good reason to keep going- it's hot and it's hard. what better reason than "your belly WILL look better!" (well it's ONE good reason...)

and come on folks, don't we reorganize our fat cells as much as we can all the time anyway?
isn't that one of the reasons we work-out, watch out food and try to live healthier lives?
TOO LOOK LESS FAT? to move the fat to other places???
some of us choose to increase results exponentially by cranking up the external heat AND the internal tapas together.

pretty radical for an "on the fringe" bikram teacher huh?
you see? i LOVE the yoga. i am not too happy about the business stuff.
(that's a different conversation i will "pass" on for now)

okay. i'm ready. i expect the flurry of BS Flags raining down any moment...

blessings,
dee

Edited by miss dee 2005-05-19 3:40 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-19 4:49 PM (#24420 - in reply to #24409)

Expert Yogi

Dee says:

i KNOW i am going to regret this, but here we go:

and Cyndi replies:

Now you know how I feel!!

Dee also says:

i am going to take a shot here because i am a believer that heat helps in this whole battle of the fat. (dee whispers a little prayer, exhales deeply...)

there are processes during some liposuction procedures where the fat cells are warmed up before they are sucked out and with some doctors...is called sculpting. it makes the rearrangement of the fat easier. i imagine the fat as being just like lard... thick and gloppy when cold- liquid and ready to take the shape it is given when warmed and retaining the new shape when cooled there.

and Cyndi is:

visualizing a tub of white Crisco being melted as it heats up on the stove. YES!! I can also visualize this happening as I'm doing Standing Forehead to Knee posture..absolutely melting my fat!!

Dee also says:

i believe a similar process happens during hot/bikram yoga. i believe all the compression and squeezing and stretching in the heat and humidity (especially the forward bends and MOST especially the back bending on your belly series of cobra locust-full locust and bow) can and does assist in the belly (especially) and other fat prone areas in LOOKING better APPEARING more attractive and more toned. obviously the water intake- the nicely stimulated digestive system and just the movements themselves make a difference in these things too.

and Cyndi absolutely agrees and finally Dee is making some sense. See, who says you have to have a scientific analysis...this is common sense stuff we're talking about here...kinda like the Butterfly house scenerio..

Thanks for sharing all that Dee, I KNOW that was not an easy thing to write about, but it is very valuable to me and appreciated. The reason I find it so valuable is because of a big notice of cellulite that has magically disappeared since I've been doing Bikram, and also, because NOTHING else would make it go away....not even those so called cellulite removal creams...not that I even tried them.... Isn't it fun being Radical, LOL!!

*Fifi*
Posted 2005-05-19 6:03 PM (#24425 - in reply to #24322)

I like your explanation, Miss Dee. Thank you.

I like how each muscle used in class continues to feel so invigorated for hours.
tourist
Posted 2005-05-19 7:27 PM (#24435 - in reply to #24425)

Expert Yogi

OK, now somebody has to get themselves a chunk of human fat, throw in on the burner and heat it up to see how hot it has to be to make it liquify.... Or maybe asking a plastic surgeon would be easier... and safer since I hear there are pirates in these here waters

I joke, but really I suppose that is the next logical question - how hot do you have to make body lipids to get them in a state to reorganize themselves? Is this something that is physically possible by heating the room and/or heating the body?

As far as the heat in the room preventing your from overheating.....I dunno about that one.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-19 8:24 PM (#24438 - in reply to #24435)

Expert Yogi

Arrrr, ahoy! Yer money or yer lipids!

............... Captain Bay Guy
HotYogi
Posted 2005-05-20 9:56 AM (#24467 - in reply to #24420)

Miss Dee and Cyndi on the same page?

Ah, the wonderful affects of yoga!!

Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-20 10:22 AM (#24471 - in reply to #24467)

Expert Yogi

HotYogi - 2005-05-20 9:56 AM

Miss Dee and Cyndi on the same page?

Ah, the wonderful affects of yoga!!

I suppose anything is possible...what do you say Miss D???
ebenjen
Posted 2005-05-20 4:04 PM (#24490 - in reply to #24435)

tourist - 2005-05-19 7:27 PM

As far as the heat in the room preventing your from overheating.....I dunno about that one.

I've taken that simply to mean that it needs to be hot/humid enough to promote vigorous sweating, which does help regulate the skin temperature. In my experience, the body's core temperature does NOT rise during Bikram practice... i.e. stick a thermometer in the orifice of choice before and after class and I don't think you would see a change (I haven't actually tried it but I believe it to be true. I'm very sensitive and can feel my body temperature rise when I get a fever -- even just a half degree).

miss dee
Posted 2005-05-20 5:21 PM (#24491 - in reply to #24420)

cyndi says: "... finally Dee is making some sense. See, who says you have to have a scientific analysis...this is common sense stuff we're talking about here..."

actually i WAS talking about the scientific aspect as the basis of my post was the heated liposuction information. what you are calling "common sense stuff" was a only visual assist of how i "imagine" it being- to motivate.

for the record i have always made sense- perhaps this post was just simple enough to be understood.

yogalicious
Posted 2005-05-20 9:47 PM (#24504 - in reply to #24491)

rrraaawwrrrrr (sound of cat snarling)
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-20 10:14 PM (#24505 - in reply to #24490)

Expert Yogi

ebenjen - 2005-05-20 4:04 PM

tourist - 2005-05-19 7:27 PM

I've taken that simply to mean that it needs to be hot/humid enough to promote vigorous sweating, which does help regulate the skin temperature. In my experience, the body's core temperature does NOT rise during Bikram practice... i.e. stick a thermometer in the orifice of choice before and after class and I don't think you would see a change (I haven't actually tried it but I believe it to be true. I'm very sensitive and can feel my body temperature rise when I get a fever -- even just a half degree).

But of course the reason that the body is sweating is because it is working to avoid overheating
in the hot room. Those of us who've done Bikram yoga at lower temperatures (say 90 degF)
have all noticed how much less effort the body has to put into staying cool.

I actually sweat just as much doing Ashtanga at 80 degF as I do doing Bikram at 95 degF.
Then again, I sweat like a cloud rains....

Posted 2005-05-21 7:56 AM (#24510 - in reply to #24505)

Brother Bay Guy, I'm so empathetic to the sweating. At Ashtanga the other day, I tried a big ole car chamois on my mat. It worked fine for about half an hour...then it became saturated. For today's practice--I'm stopping at Pep Boys enroute and picking up another so by "bridge" asana time, there might be a semi dry surface someplace.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-21 9:23 AM (#24511 - in reply to #24510)

Expert Yogi

I heard that! Hey, try buying a great big bath sheet, you know, a 6 foot long,
3 foot wide towel. Wash it a couple times first, and wet the places your hands
will go before you start practice so it won't be slick. Another option for soaking
up water is one of those "mysore" rugs...
Mitch
Posted 2005-05-21 2:14 PM (#24514 - in reply to #24322)

I think I'm going to go the yogitoes towel route. People seem to be pretty happy with them and I'm tired of thinking about slipping instead of breathing.
gogirl58
Posted 2005-05-23 3:13 AM (#24550 - in reply to #24420)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry to jump into this late but the proof is definitely in the pudding. I have not been doing Bikram, but i have continued and intensified by curcuit training ( curves) added gardening and some walking. My weight is the same, but boy the midrif is bulging. Nothing does it like Bikram.
ebenjen
Posted 2005-05-25 6:12 PM (#24654 - in reply to #24505)

But of course the reason that the body is sweating is because it is working to avoid overheating
in the hot room.

Um... that kinda sounds like what Bikram is saying.

Those of us who've done Bikram yoga at lower temperatures (say 90 degF) have all noticed how much less effort the body has to put into staying cool.

Been there, done that, several times. It's OK, I guess, but I actually feel uncomfortably cold if the room is less than 102-3 (depending on the humidity level, of course). And this is from someone who has a hard time with very hot classes (I'm a 105 believer, as Bikram suggests).

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)