YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not bashing - just observing!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

LoraB
Posted 2005-04-24 5:08 PM (#22826)
Subject: Not bashing - just observing!

Ok all you Bikramites - don't take me to task on this. I'm only reporting what I see. I passed a Bikram studio on the way to another studio today, and came across this sign:

"Youth, Beauty, and Complete Happiness in 90 minutes".

Seriously? It only takes 90 minutes? That's a pretty freakin' good deal!

C'mon! (and yes, I would have said this about ANY studio making this claim)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-24 5:27 PM (#22828 - in reply to #22826)
Subject: RE: Not bashing - just observing!

Maybe it was a type - maybe they meant to say "FOR 90 minutes." After 90 minutes, you return to your cranky old self, but much sweatier.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-24 7:39 PM (#22835 - in reply to #22828)

Expert Yogi

Actually I do feel that way after a good Bikram class. Sometimes I'm walking on air....of course, after my long 45 minute nap After that..... I can do anything, I can fly and I am WOMAN, no better than that, I am YOGINI!! Does it really matter how we do it, which Yoga did it for us??? Works great for me and it has potential to work for anybody...but you gotta work it and do it and not sit around talking about it or for that matter - criticizing it - you got to love what you do, put your heart into it, have passion for it and a positive environment for what your doing to make anything work...I do believe this about everything...especially doing ANY kind of YOGA! If you don't have that, then you have no practice. Might as well do nothing.

I think the 90 minutes is the sales pitch to get you in the door though, that's not too bad for an advertising campaign, I've seen worse and after reading my Yoga Journal Magazine this month..it was full of ads and ads and ads...like oh my Gosh, who do we choose from and which is better...geez.

Okay, now you guys can resume your analysing and add your theories. Don't try to change my mind, I'm happy with what I'm doing, I want others to be happy with what they are doing so they can feel comfortable and find their way without my negative input, because anything negative I say could be misinforming and not good, but it really is all good, and so many people are benefiting from this type of Yoga and the ones that are not just have not gotten there yet and perhaps maybe they need something more or different - maybe they need a TEACHER.... I TOTALLY respect that, but you should not give up by listening to bad advice or to someone's bad experience, be your own judge of your own body....MOST important thing to realize.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-04-24 7:41 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-04-24 10:25 PM (#22836 - in reply to #22826)
Subject: RE: Not bashing - just observi

Expert Yogi

OK, maybe that's my problem - I don't need any of those things! YOUTH - I've been there. Not totally all it is cracked up to be. BEAUTY - is in the eye of the beholder and my beloved beholder says I'm ok in the department, which makes me completely HAPPY! To get me in the door they would have to promise enlightenment in 90 minutes. But they don't do that spiritual stuff so I guess I just won't be going there
Gracie
Posted 2005-04-24 11:48 PM (#22838 - in reply to #22826)

I think it's kind of funny. You know people are so obsessed with beauty and youth, they'll probably believe it, and try it! I see worse misleading ads here in So Cal, for unhealthy products and services. If it draws people in to try yoga, than right on!
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-25 4:41 AM (#22848 - in reply to #22836)

tourist - 2005-04-26 12:25 PM

OK, maybe that's my problem - I don't need any of those things! YOUTH - I've been there. Not totally all it is cracked up to be. BEAUTY - is in the eye of the beholder and my beloved beholder says I'm ok in the department, which makes me completely HAPPY! To get me in the door they would have to promise enlightenment in 90 minutes. But they don't do that spiritual stuff so I guess I just won't be going there

Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-28 9:51 AM (#23063 - in reply to #22826)

Expert Yogi

LoraB - 2005-04-24 5:08 PM

Ok all you Bikramites - don't take me to task on this. I'm only reporting what I see. I passed a Bikram studio on the way to another studio today, and came across this sign:

Hey Lora,

Here's another one for ya!! Get a load of this one, talk about ridiculous advertising....

Hot Yoga in (City left blank) during the summer?
You'll never fear swimsuit season again!

miss dee
Posted 2005-04-28 9:55 AM (#23064 - in reply to #23063)

Cyndi - 2005-04-28 8:51 AM

LoraB - 2005-04-24 5:08 PM

Hey Lora,

Here's another one for ya!! Get a load of this one, talk about ridiculous advertising....

Hot Yoga in (City left blank) during the summer?
You'll never fear swimsuit season again!

thanks for visting my web site cyndi!
glad to see my advert was memorable for you.

That's Houston BTW!

Dee
ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-28 4:06 PM (#23094 - in reply to #22826)

I go for a less direct approach in my marketing materials. I've attached a portion of one of my ads.

I did another one with a picture of someone in Full Locust Pose with the caption, "Learn to Fly". Marketing can be fun.

Edited by ebenjen 2005-04-28 4:12 PM

(navel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments navel.jpg (50KB - 76 downloads)
fifi!
Posted 2005-04-28 7:15 PM (#23110 - in reply to #22826)

Cute ad! Makes me think your studio is user-friendly vs. the more pretentious studios.

ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-29 8:43 AM (#23140 - in reply to #23110)

fifi! - 2005-04-28 7:15 PM

Cute ad! Makes me think your studio is user-friendly vs. the more pretentious studios.

Thanks. I think yoga should be fun.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-29 9:35 AM (#23141 - in reply to #23140)

Expert Yogi

ebenjen - 2005-04-29 8:43 AM

Hey Eric,

I like your attitude, that is really great!! I wish there were more people like you in the yoga world - I love your foolcrow website by the way! When I first started Bikram I did have so much fun and was so happy - I still am, even through the painful stretching moments. When I started reading this forum and saw the darker side of Bikram it really disappointed me...not the stuff people were saying about Bikram, but how they were making it such a *drab* to the point where I almost and I say ALMOST started wondering about my practice and am I on the right path. After getting real clear about it and who I am, my relationship to Bikram on a subtle level compared to my relationship to this forum......I decided to incorporate it ALL into my practice and hope that all the Sh&% keeps coming out clean and clear - no residue! I did see your ad somewhere in Atlanta, can't remember, but its been a while. Wish my Rabbit pose looked that good! Take care, I do plan on stopping by at least to say hey sometime soon - especially since I have an apt. around the corner from you. Just can't be there right now..too much happening here on the farm. Cya
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-29 7:17 PM (#23192 - in reply to #22826)

Lora and all the others who discussed this thread earnestly, remember this was just an ad - and a pretty good one too. It makes people wonder and maybe enter the studio. It is so ridicoulusly exaggerated that no one will believe it anyway.
When I was younger I used to work for a travel agency and operator which organized cheapo holidays for young people. One of our slogans translated was like "WE SATISFY YOUR DAUGHTER!" Of course we had to withdraw it after some complaints by offended parents. But it was fun as long as it was up (and the teenies loved it!).
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-29 9:46 PM (#23201 - in reply to #22826)

Stefan,

I don't discuss anything earnestly!

You should know that by now! Now go to bed and get yourself to yoga tomorrow!
ebenjen
Posted 2005-05-01 11:27 AM (#23242 - in reply to #23141)

Cyndi - 2005-04-29 9:35 AM

ebenjen - 2005-04-29 8:43 AM

Hey Eric,

I like your attitude, that is really great!! I wish there were more people like you in the yoga world - I love your foolcrow website by the way! When I first started Bikram I did have so much fun and was so happy - I still am, even through the painful stretching moments. When I started reading this forum and saw the darker side of Bikram it really disappointed me...not the stuff people were saying about Bikram, but how they were making it such a *drab* to the point where I almost and I say ALMOST started wondering about my practice and am I on the right path. After getting real clear about it and who I am, my relationship to Bikram on a subtle level compared to my relationship to this forum......I decided to incorporate it ALL into my practice and hope that all the Sh&% keeps coming out clean and clear - no residue! I did see your ad somewhere in Atlanta, can't remember, but its been a while. Wish my Rabbit pose looked that good! Take care, I do plan on stopping by at least to say hey sometime soon - especially since I have an apt. around the corner from you. Just can't be there right now..too much happening here on the farm. Cya

Bikram Choudhury is a human being and as such he is flawed. I learned a lot from his training program and I continue to learn a lot about myself through the practice and teaching of Bikram Yoga. One of the most important lessons I got from the training was how important it is to be detached from things, especially when I don't understand them. I don't always understand Bikram or his sense of humor but I love the fact that he stirs things up. The reactions to his classes are amazing - what some people find outrageous and upsetting makes others smile or laugh. Ultimately, we each have to take responsibility for our own practice and self-development.

Thanks for the kind words.

tourist
Posted 2005-05-01 4:54 PM (#23251 - in reply to #23242)

Expert Yogi

ebenjen - 2005-05-01 8:27 AM
I love the fact that he stirs things up.

Let's hear it for people who stir things up !!! Aka sh*t disturbers There are so many things that I feel strongly about but don't have what it takes or don't even believe that outrageous acts will work to change. But I admire those who do take those wild steps and put themselves in the line of fire. For one thing, it makes the slightly radical folks (like myself) look like moderates...
ebenjen
Posted 2005-05-01 7:03 PM (#23258 - in reply to #23251)

tourist - 2005-05-01 4:54 PM

ebenjen - 2005-05-01 8:27 AM
I love the fact that he stirs things up.

Let's hear it for people who stir things up !!! Aka sh*t disturbers There are so many things that I feel strongly about but don't have what it takes or don't even believe that outrageous acts will work to change. But I admire those who do take those wild steps and put themselves in the line of fire. For one thing, it makes the slightly radical folks (like myself) look like moderates...

I left my first workshop with Bikram pretty dismayed and judgemental. Since then, I've learned a little more about him and a *lot* more about myself.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-01 8:44 PM (#23265 - in reply to #23251)

Expert Yogi

There's another name for people like us who like to "stir things up". We are also called the "movers and the shakers of the world". I had a great teacher ask me this question once..Are you going to be a mover and a shaker?? Or are you going to sit on your A$$ and do nothing? Of course, I think you know what my answer was
Piel
Posted 2005-05-02 10:41 PM (#23324 - in reply to #23094)

Forum Administrator

if you want to put an ad, please put it in the right place. the guidelines for posting are quite clear regarding advertising and the placement of links for other web sites.

thanks.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-02 10:48 PM (#23326 - in reply to #23324)

Expert Yogi

Piel - 2005-05-02 10:41 PM

if you want to put an ad, please put it in the right place. the guidelines for posting are quite clear regarding advertising and the placement of links for other web sites.

thanks.

Hi Piel,

I am curious about something. Why aren't there any ads for Bikram Yoga at this website?? I see lots of Iyengar and others...but no Bikram, not even a book - nothin'.

Cyndi - who has no interest in advertising for my Bikram home practice
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)