YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home Practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Karen
Posted 2004-05-18 1:23 PM (#6552)
Subject: Home Practice

Hi everyone-
I have been practicing bikram yoga for a year and a half. Just recently I decided to do my practice at home since I know the routine so well. I turn the heat up and ride my stationary bike first for 20 minutes to warm myself up. I am finding that it takes me an hour rather than an hour and a half. I am realizing that when I go to the studio there is more time than I thought with explanation ie: feet together, leg muscles strong, shoulders relaxed etc etc.....but at home, because I can go right into the poses without waiting for the rest of the class, it really makes a difference with the time. I am practicing two sets, holding for the proper amount of time etc. Does anyone else practice at home and find it doesn't take as long. I am SO glad I started practicing at home. Not only does it reduce travel and classtime, but my concentration is much better without others around and the instructor giving directions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-05-18 4:30 PM (#6562 - in reply to #6552)
Subject: RE: Home Practice

Yes, I find that when I practice at home it takes only about an hour. It is nice to get away from the constant chatter sometimes, isn't it?

Posted 2004-05-18 5:33 PM (#6567 - in reply to #6562)

I don't have the discipline to do Bikram at home. First, I wouldn't push myself I'm sure and second, I'd think, I need to take the trash out or something.
paula
Posted 2004-06-01 7:19 AM (#7025 - in reply to #6552)

There isn't a Bikram class anywhere near me in Devon, and I have been practicing at home for about a year and yes I also find that it only takes me 1 hour. However, having recently attended a couple of classes in Brighton I found myself pushing harder in the class then I do at home (I guess that's down to self-discipline) plus the heat was more intense.
kathleen
Posted 2004-06-06 7:20 AM (#7211 - in reply to #6552)

I also practice Bikram yoga at home,and have done so for over 20 years. Two years ago,a studio opened in Ottawa which is 2 hours from my town. I try to get there every second weekend for at least 3 classes(my daughter lives there and she also does yoga). I love the instruction and take all the "tips and details" back home to incorporate into my yoga practice. I find that it takes me at least 1 1/2 hours because i hold poses longer or might do a particular pose 3 times etc. I practice at least 5 days a week from 5.30-7.00a.m.. Can you tell I am a Bikram junky??

Posted 2004-06-06 8:20 AM (#7212 - in reply to #7211)

Wow! That's devotion lady! Good for you! 20 years of Bikram--he ought to give you a plaque or something--I'm gonna tell him in Nov
yogagirl
Posted 2004-06-12 7:30 AM (#7403 - in reply to #6552)

hey Bruce: Where are you going to see Bikram in November??

Posted 2004-06-12 8:41 AM (#7406 - in reply to #7403)

Comrade Bikram is slated to come to San ANtonio Nov 6 & 7 Kathleen. Seeing Mrs. Bikram at a workshop in Austin, Texas in August. According to the Bikram website, they both make appearances around throughout the year.
yogagirl
Posted 2004-06-13 8:29 AM (#7418 - in reply to #7406)

Bruce: I have been following Bikram's schedule and can't wait for him to come to Canada,or somewhere close. He is going to be in New Jersey at the end of July but unfortunately I have to work My yoga instructor is working on getting him to come to our studio, so i am keeping my fingers crossed. I will look forward to hearing all about the workshop you attend.
yogatammy
Posted 2004-06-14 12:39 PM (#7452 - in reply to #6552)

A very good source is saying that there will be a Bikram Seminar held in Vancouver, BC Canada, this coming September 2004. I was told it'd be the 17,18 + 19th weekend of Sept. possibly at Canada Place. So keep that weekend open!
nubianyogi
Posted 2004-06-15 11:15 PM (#7525 - in reply to #6552)

I usually practice "at home" but I really enjoy getting out to classes...I am a huge people person so I enjoy the connecting with others.

But when I want my alone time...I am on my own.

I'm flexible.
satoripadma
Posted 2004-08-29 1:05 AM (#9498 - in reply to #6552)

hi everybody,
im new to the board and also new to bikram. ive bee doing it for approx. a month and have seen minute improvements in my practice. my problem is that i want to continue to do it everyday but cannot afford the 170 dollars a month. any tips on settin up a home studio? would purchasing a heater and placing it in a room be sufficient or should i consider other options. ive become addicted to the practice becasue of the feelin i recieve after it is done, i would like to continue but now that my budget has changed dramatically i have to find a different alternative.
all suggestions welcome....
thanx in advance,
'tori
redtail
Posted 2004-08-29 9:12 AM (#9509 - in reply to #9498)

Hey 'Tori,

Welcome to the forum. I have several suggestions for you. Is it possible that you could reduce the amount of classes that you take (maybe to once a week)?? If so, then you could simply go to a class once a week to keep the poses up to snuff (with your instructor) and do a daily, or every-other-day practice at home on your own. As for the heater---If the room that you intend to practice in is cold, then a heater would be a great idea. You shouldn't practice in too cold of a room (muscle and connective tissue tears are more likely). However, your practice itself should heat your body a bit as you go through the asanas. I hope this helps.

It is so good to hear that you want to practice more because of the "feelin" that you receive after it is done. You should cherish that feelin and become familiar with it. It is the "real" you shining through.

Namaste
demyfan
Posted 2004-08-29 12:02 PM (#9511 - in reply to #9498)

I always practice at home because I live in a town with no studio. I find that I need two space heaters and, especially in the winter, I often need to pre-heat the room to replicate the level of heat one gets at a studio (although, I've found that studios vary dramatically in their level of heat). You will need to consider the cost of electric bills because some space heaters use a lot of electicity. I love practicing at home. However, I do wish I had the option of a studio, because there are times when I could really use advice and guidance.
innerline
Posted 2004-08-29 10:05 PM (#9523 - in reply to #6552)

I practice at home and teach at a studio. At home I have a gas heater that emits water as a by product, perfect. At home i do a two hour class and at the studio a do silent classes also and they are 1 1/2. I can not see how you can do the series in one hour and be holding the postures long enough. I have never been able to do this, when I tried. Do you rest in between postures? Home practice is the best if you have the discipline.
satoripadma
Posted 2004-08-30 12:51 AM (#9529 - in reply to #6552)

thanx for the advice all;
redtail ive wondered where that feelin came from, when i first experienced it i had to ask myself if it was all right to do so without judging it in any way. it overwhelmed me at first because it was so so ummmm okay to be. and i started getin that all is one and one is all type of thing. id rather experience it than talk about it tho'

thanx for the tip on the heater, may i ask what brand is it and where may i purchase the heater requiring gas. thanx innerline.

and ill try to manage my one class a week and see how it goes.

thanx all, youve helped tremendously!
'tori.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)