YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram book
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-21 12:25 PM (#22544)
Subject: Bikram book

Do any of you Bikram fans have a copy of his book that you might be willing to part with (cheap) or even loan out? I'm very curious to read about it, and see which poses are used, before I drive 90 minutes and spend $20 to try it on my own.

If anyone has a copy they want to unload, send me a PM. I can send Paypal if the price is right!

Thanks!
Jean
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-21 12:37 PM (#22545 - in reply to #22544)
Subject: RE: Bikram book

Expert Yogi

Jean,

I might be in a position to loan you mine and the audio tape, if you'll mail it back to me. How long do you need it for?? Let me know!

Cyndi
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-21 8:20 PM (#22598 - in reply to #22544)

Thanks for the offer, Cyndi! You are very generous! I actually don't think I have a cassette player anymore, could I just borrow the book for a couple of weeks or a month? Is that too long?

If you want, I could send you some postage money through Paypal, then you can print Media Mail postage right off the web and won't have to go to the post office!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-21 10:28 PM (#22630 - in reply to #22598)

Expert Yogi

Wow, you mean I could convert that thing back into money?
Everytime I look at those pictures of hyperextended knees, I feel
pain.
innerline
Posted 2005-04-22 1:46 PM (#22675 - in reply to #22630)

The scary part is the people with hyperextended knees, and there are alot in the book, have no clue their knees are screaming at them. Their mind thinks they are doing it right because Bikram said to do it like that. Lock,lock,lock,lock the knee, for a good break down of the back of the knee. You would think Bikram would put really good pictures in the book. And he thinks he has! It just shows how much he does not know.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-22 1:53 PM (#22676 - in reply to #22675)

Expert Yogi

Jean,

I just mailed your book and tape. I hope you don't get too scared by the knees...I never noticed it before. Anyway, there are two sets of pictures in his book. The reality picture and the advanced doing it perfectly reality. Bikram states throughout his book that it is not about doing the asana 100%, it is about doing it the *right* way and trying to do at your capacity. Whatever has been taught in the studios throughout the years and whatever changes have been made to Bikram's method of teaching is something I am not familiar with, however, this book is very helpful - I benefited greatly and still do. I've read it 4 times thoroughly and refer back to it all the time. The tape is cute, it was made in 1978 and he sings an Indian song at the end. He is very funny and I always have fun when I listen to the tape and practice with Bikram. I can't wait to get the new CD. Take care. You should recieve it by next Tuesday.

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-22 3:24 PM (#22680 - in reply to #22544)

Thank you so much! I can't wait to take a peek! I'll be careful with it, I promise!

That's interesting about the knees - I don't know if I ever would have noticed either. I naturally hyperextend (and turn my feet out) so I've always had to be conscious of softening my knees and keeping the feet parallel. For years it felt so pigeon-toed, I was sure there must be some mistake! And hyperextending, well, in the short term it makes your feet fall asleep so that's easy to recognize.

Thanks again!!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-22 3:26 PM (#22682 - in reply to #22544)

P.S. Bay Guy - you can turn ANYTHING back into money. I am the master of impulse buying, but I sell everything I don't use on Ebay so the financial pain doesn't come back to bite me!

Maybe I should create some kind of yoga Ebay clearinghouse! Everyone can send me the books and tapes and supplies you don't use, and I'll sell them and split the profits!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-22 3:27 PM (#22683 - in reply to #22544)

P.S. Bay Guy - you can turn ANYTHING back into money. I am the master of impulse buying, but I sell everything I don't use on Ebay so the financial pain doesn't come back to bite me!

Maybe I should create some kind of yoga Ebay clearinghouse! Everyone can send me the books and tapes and supplies you don't use, and I'll sell them and split the profits!

Posted 2005-04-22 3:28 PM (#22684 - in reply to #22682)

That is a heck of a good idea Jean--a yoga recycling consotium...I'll play!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-22 3:40 PM (#22687 - in reply to #22544)
Subject: Ebayin'

Hmmmm . . . this gives me all KINDS of ideas! Just wait til I quit that darn day job - my last day is June 10th. Right now I work 9 hrs at the office then teach for 2 hrs, then teach again on the weekends. Not much time for Ebaying (at least not doing it up right!).

But, Ebay was a part of my future financial plan, especially since I'll have more time soon. In summertime, my husband and I love to go to garage sales and buy other people's junk to sell for a profit. We got quite good at it for a while there! Plus those yoga mat bags I was making out of used upholstery have all sold out - I can't make them fast enough. My old yoga books & dvd's that I wasn't using sold well too.

Anyone who wants to try it on their own should go for it, it's not complicated at all. But, maybe I will come up with some guidelines & a pricing strategy for overworked underpaid yogis to just send their stuff to me and let me sell it! I can promote it on my website, my students can find good deals on the stuff they want, and we'll split the money! Everybody wins!

God bless the internet!
Gracie
Posted 2005-04-22 4:09 PM (#22691 - in reply to #22544)

Just some advice about E-Bay. My dad’s a CPA and he warned us that the IRS is starting to really crack down on people who sell on E-Bay and don’t report gains on their taxes. They figured out that they could make a whole heck of a lot of money from these folks, and have started auditing them. They’re looking for cost basis, so make sure you save your receipts!

Ok back to fun yoga talk....
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-22 4:13 PM (#22693 - in reply to #22544)

Ahh, good tip. By and large, most of my sales come from stuff I paid retail for, i.e. $20 DVD, and then sell for $6-10. So, I don't think the IRS could look too harshly at that. That's like having a garage sale that the whole country can peruse - "profit" is a loose term in that situation.

But, as I get further into selling things with some kind of profit margin, I will have to keep better track.

I don't think a little sharp financial advice is out of line for a Bikram forum!
fifi!
Posted 2005-04-22 5:26 PM (#22700 - in reply to #22544)

Yes, please do the yoga E'bay thing. And yoga mats made from recycled upholstery??? Sounds waaaay cool!

FYI - there's a company called USED RUBBER USA that makes and sells all kinds of things made of out recycled tires, like hand bags, place mats, etc....maybe you've heard of them
Gracie
Posted 2005-04-22 5:27 PM (#22701 - in reply to #22544)

A friend of mine's husband makes about $500-$1000 a week off E-Bay in supplemental income (the guy is obsessed with yard sales - you don't want to see their garage). He's the kind of person the IRS is after.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)