YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sharp pressure in my forehead - bad or good?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

traviskicks
Posted 2004-11-14 4:44 PM (#12157)
Subject: sharp pressure in my forehead - bad or good?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and i am hoping someone can offer some insights to me. I have searched the internet for answers and have not found any yet.

I've been meditating for about 2 years, on and off, with pretty good successes. In my past few meditation sessions I sometimes had, to varying degrees, a new experience of a sharp pressure sensation on my forehead.

It always happens when I am at a relatively deep point, well into my meditation. It starts off as a dull pressure, but grows increasingly sharp. I have some control over it, but the 'deeper' i go the sharper it becomes. It is weird because my forehead is completely relaxed - it is not muscle tension. It feels like a small, small vein in my forehead is just seconds away from bursting. In fact, I feel if i continued to go deeper it will burst.

I am not overly frightened of the sensation and it is not painful - but i am scared that I might hurt myself if I don't hold myself back. Also, it takes my attention away from whatever exercise I am trying to do. I was wondering if anyone had any explanation for this. Is this happening because I am doing something right or am i doing something wrong like

Occasionally the sensation will move across my forehead, although sometimes it appears to be stuck in one place. When I am not meditating I never feel even a bit of this.

At one point, after I had backed away and the sensation had calmed down, my ears clicked as if I was on an airplane. This made me think that this 'pressure' REALLY was pressure. However, I also think that because the feeling was so analogous to pressure - my mind might have falsely linked this click to this feeling, when they are infact unrelated.

My Internet searches yielded nothing of consequence. Three (somewhat contradictory) links I found are:
http://www.shinzen.org/shinsub2/_disc1/00000060.htm
http://www.srichinmoy.org/html/spirituality/meditation/meditation/am_i_meditating_well/11_q&a_meditating_well.htm
http://www.elcollie.com/html/Issue5a.html

In any case, if anyone knows anything about this, I would much appreciate the thoughts. Thanks, Travis
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-15 10:44 AM (#12221 - in reply to #12157)
Subject: RE: sharp pressure in my forehead - bad or good?

do the following. If you want more explanation, you have to attend my classes in USA or INDIA.

focus in the heart while meditating.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Kush
Posted 2004-11-23 4:04 PM (#12763 - in reply to #12157)

Perhaps:energy/pressure have to do with "chakras", meridians, body organs, glands, or blood pressure. Perhaps some kind of cleansing, release, or build up is taking place . Something to do with breathing or maybe how length of meditation?.

http://discussion.mypotential.com/mpibb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000724

or if that doesn't work go to ttp://www.chopra.com/ (click ask deepak and I belive that leads to the discussion board).

http://www.quantumquests.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288

http://www.ianprattis.com/meditations/sohummed.htm
hit1710
Posted 2004-12-26 3:12 PM (#14007 - in reply to #12157)

Hi

I am meditator too and pracitising meditation since last 2-3 years. Had similar kind of pressure or pain between 2 eyebrows during meditation. Sometimes I used to feel the same kind of pressure during the day also but gradually it went away. I am sure that its not bad but the good sign for you & its very obvious for a beginer.

The pain is because of focused energy at single point (Agnachakra) and one should enjoy the pain. If its too sharp then try best to ingore & then focus more on meditation.

This is my opinion & personal experience which could be different than others. Hope it helps.

Hitesh

traviskicks
Posted 2005-02-21 4:45 AM (#17339 - in reply to #14007)

thanks for the comments. It has faded somewhat, I haven't had the intense feeling there in some weeks/months. Although I can sometimes feel it when i am not meditating now, which I didn't before. Sometimes when i am meditating I focus on generating the feeling, I guess because it is such a weird experience that I feel like I am really 'doing something' with my meditation. So I guess I would concluded that the feeling has somewhat faded and is more under my control. Still don't have a clue what it means or why it happened.
Third Eye
Posted 2006-06-16 4:42 PM (#55987 - in reply to #12157)

Congratulations…

What you are experiencing is the opening of your third eye or the 6th chakra ..you are blessed my friend .As a previous message mentioned you should feel your mantra coming from the heart ..one important thing you should do is increase the Pranayama time. I usually do it for 10 minutes .Pranayama increases your energy level …you need energy to open the Third Eye .
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-16 5:18 PM (#55993 - in reply to #12157)

This was interesting for me to read, because I've been meaning to ask for advise. After my yoga practice, while in savasana I can relax pretty much everywhere, except have trouble with my forehead, and also around my eyes. When I do manage to feel some relaxation, I feel way too vulnerable to hold on to it for long. I'm still trying, but would appreciate any advise.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-16 7:15 PM (#56008 - in reply to #55993)

Expert Yogi

BQ - let your eyeballs sink back into your head and "float" behind your cheekbones
Third Eye
Posted 2006-06-17 8:45 AM (#56049 - in reply to #55993)

The throbbing in the forehead might develop into subtle pulsations and pressure in the back of the head .These is all symptoms of the third eye opening. Again to hold to your deep relaxation state you need a high level of energy and that can be achieved by extended practice of Pranayama that supplies you with prana energy.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-17 10:33 AM (#56061 - in reply to #12157)

I didn't know it required a lot of energy to stay deeply relaxed. It makes sense though, My eyes don't like to soften, but I am practicing, thanks.
DocDon
Posted 2006-06-19 6:58 PM (#56220 - in reply to #56008)

I'm an eye doctor as well as a yoga teacher and I asure you that you cannot let your eyeballs sink back into your head. I hear teachers say it, but it cannot be done. Voluntarily contracting all 6 muscles that control eye movement at the same time (something most people canot do) would bring the eye back a mm or so but would also produce a sense of pain - not amenible to meditation.

I hear teachers to tell students to do all sorts of things that are impossible. If your a yoga teacher you should try all your instructions on yourself before directing students to do the impossible. The laws of phisiology, anatomy and physics still prevail within the yoga studio.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-19 7:42 PM (#56227 - in reply to #56220)

Expert Yogi

Don - we do often get taken to task for our unscientific descriptions of things as yoga teachers. I think in fact, I typically say "so you have the sensation" of the eyes floating behind the cheekbones. So it is certainly never meant to be a literal thing - just the suggestion of how to relax enough to really, really let go. We also ask people to "extend" their arms or legs when we do not mean anatomical extension. You can tell who are the anatomists in a class by the puzzled looks on their faces and/or weird contortions that don't look at all like what we want them to do In one of my most memorable experiences of savasana the teacher had us hanging each of our muscle groups off our inner ears. He had us mentally gather them all up very systematically and eventually the entire body was suspended from the inner ear on it's own side of the body. A remarkable sensation and made for an awesome reclining pranayama class.

But thanks for giving me the number of muscles involved. I will use that, I am sure. I have often used the description, based on looking in anatomy books, of a "hammock of small muscles" that support the eyes. Is that a reasonable description from your POV? I like the mental picture of the eyeball being able to sink deeply into a hammock - very relaxing image!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-20 8:29 AM (#56260 - in reply to #12157)

I think I can use that image of my eyeballs reclining in a hammock! And I'm also relieved to know that they won't float down into my head, possibly ending up stuck in a sinus cavity somewhere.
DocDon
Posted 2006-06-20 6:37 PM (#56334 - in reply to #56227)

I do like the hammock metaphore. I think I might use it myself.
slimfit
Posted 2006-06-30 2:15 AM (#57218 - in reply to #12157)
Subject: RE: sharp pressure in my foreh

maybe it could be the third eye chakra activating-you know when you concentrate too much... its related to your mind and intuition, i read that in a meditation book once
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)