YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

extreme fatigue
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

amystamystar
Posted 2005-05-08 11:34 PM (#23727)
Subject: extreme fatigue

I nearing the end of my forth week doing the bikram challange (60 days of bikram, one day off a week) and i am experiencing extreme fatigue...
i am finding that drinking water isn't really stopping me from dehydrating much.
What suppliments etc are others using to combat this, or does noone else really get this?
dont know if its a timing thing, or what... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Star.

Edited by amystamystar 2005-05-08 11:34 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gogirl58
Posted 2005-05-09 2:49 AM (#23735 - in reply to #23727)
Subject: RE: extreme fatigue

Extreme Veteran

I would try to stop for a few days. The challenge is only a good think if it makes you feel good.
It's not for everyone. Thats my opinion. Life is not a race, its an endurance event.
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-05-09 7:19 AM (#23737 - in reply to #23727)

I think your body is trying to tell you something. Studios vary quite a bit in regards to heat/oxygen levels which can obviously affect your practice. Also, read through the old bikram posts on too much water. Drinking tons of water is not necessarily going to help since you can seriously dilute minerals. Not to suggest that you not drink, but you may need to see if that is part of all this. Personally I like the routine but would never do it 6 days a week, for a variety or reasons.
yoginis are hot
Posted 2005-05-09 8:10 AM (#23738 - in reply to #23727)

I have been doing Bikram for about six weeks now. I have been practicing 5 to 6 times a week. I have been doing relatively well and one of the teachers has encouraged me to take the Bikram Challenge (In this studio, it is 60 straight days, no rest allowed; You can make up for missed days by doing double sessions). I personally think that it is crazy. I feel fatigued on weeks that I have done six classes and have felt better if I did just five. Two consecutive days of rest can be extremely rejuvenating. Eventhough Bikram can be addictive and I do find myself tempted to go in everyday, I realize that it is better for my body if I do just five days a week. Then again, that is how my body responds. I personally know a friend (Who introduced me to Bikram Yoga) who did 243 straight days since she started. But she is a classic type A. I personally think that 5 days a week is challenging enough, and do not want to fall into the trap of "Bikram Challenge" whn my body is probably not built to deal with it. My 2 cents.

Swami
jbeanbutterfly
Posted 2005-05-09 9:34 AM (#23746 - in reply to #23727)

My 2 cents regarding hydration. No matter how much water you drink, you will remain dehydrated if your electrolytes are out of balance. Sodium, potassium, and magnesium are the most important. It's best to get these from food. Balance these out, and you'll probably perk right back up. If not, you might need to take some time off.
amystamystar
Posted 2005-05-09 7:53 PM (#23789 - in reply to #23727)

Does anyone use natural/synthetic electrolytes? Found anything good?
seandre
Posted 2005-05-09 9:47 PM (#23792 - in reply to #23789)

Are you breathing during class. If you're holding your breath you will become fatigue.
Mitch
Posted 2005-05-09 11:15 PM (#23803 - in reply to #23727)

Star,

Your body is telling you that the challenge is not right for you (at this moment). It is a nice goal from a physical fitness sense, but it seems to be counter to much of what the Yoga Sutras teach us about the practice...nonviolence, moderation, attachment. Many times I want to practice when I should take a day off. If I persist in practicing, my knees remind me why I need those days off.
jeanne
Posted 2005-05-10 11:11 AM (#23809 - in reply to #23727)

for what is worth, I also experience very weird sensations around my 4th week. My instructor assured me it was normal and encourage me to get enough rest, take mineral supplements and eat nutritious food. She suggested that I continue practice, but not to push it. My 5th week was much better and I feel great now. I use either Emergen-C or a essential mineral liquid I purchased from Wild Oats.
amystamystar
Posted 2005-05-16 9:31 PM (#24221 - in reply to #23809)

Thanks heaps, i persisted through it, because i know that sometimes my issues are in my head, and sometimes they are real.

Feeling much better this week (start of 6th now) but feel like i have growing pains, which is a bit sore and annoying, but good becasue i realise that i must be doing something right because my body is moving and changing (which is exactly what i want) as it is extremely uneven!

Thanks for all the advise...
tinyone
Posted 2005-05-17 12:34 AM (#24224 - in reply to #24221)

Just want to say...Good for you! I always tell myself that the days that I don't want to go are the days that I really should be going. It is good to challenge yourself sometimes ...just keep an eye on your fluids and minerals!
aussiepearl
Posted 2005-05-18 4:07 AM (#24313 - in reply to #23727)

If you have nice organic fruit and veggies available to you then I suggest you juice up some carrot, apple, celery and ground a teaspoon of fresh ginger in there as well. Tastes great and gives you a boost after your Bikram sessions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)