YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seeking hot yoga in N. VA
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Yoga With Jill
Posted 2004-11-16 11:32 PM (#12328)
Subject: seeking hot yoga in N. VA

I am a Yoga teacher in a gym style setting, but a student in Bikram in Northern, Virginia. I love the heat, but would love to take other styles in similar heat. Does anyone know of any other styles besides Bikram. I guess, I am a little bored with the 26-- I want the heat, just some new asanas!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JackieCat
Posted 2004-11-17 7:35 AM (#12344 - in reply to #12328)
Subject: RE: seeking hot yoga in N. VA

Extreme Veteran

Hi Jill-

There is a studio in Georgetown- Down Dog Yoga- that teaches Baron Baptiste style power yoga. I haven't been there but they are listed on Baron's web site as an affiliate studio so they probably heat the room in the same way that he does- 80-85 degrees. Which is plenty hot becaue it is a more active style of yoga than Bikram.

I don't know of any suburban studios- maybe do a google search?

Good luck!
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-17 6:43 PM (#12407 - in reply to #12328)

Whatever you want in Norther Virginia, related to Yoga and Yoga Philosophy, please consider

SaeeTech, The Authentic Yoga School, www.authenticyoga.org.

This time I have to do a blatant advertisement to the amazement of many, but no amazement to the questioner. But, both of them shall benefit for sure.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-18 8:38 AM (#12441 - in reply to #12328)

Jill, there's a huge difference between Bikram and pretty much all of the other Hatha traditions in our area. Down Dog was recommended, but frankly, if you're only doing Bikram, I wouldn't throw myself into this yet. The asana they use (I hesitate to say "teach") is used in an extremely different way than the Bikram lineage. Down Dog is the "only authorized Baron Baptiste Power Yoga studio in the Washington area." So essentially you'd be doing a watered down Ashtanga practice, which is still not necessarily for beginners in this lineage.

That said, also know that Bikram or its unauthorized version "hot" yoga is the only hatha yoga that uses external heat to warm the body. So if you're into the heat this is where you need to be. If you're into building heat, taking some fundamental yoga (yes, sucking it up and going for the "normal" yoga first) then experiement with the Power or Ashtanga yoga. These heat-building practices of so-called "vinyasa," Power and/or Ashtanga are faster and not knowing the pose variations, you may as well shove in a video and wrack your neck out right away and get it over with.

That said, for fundamental yoga in NoVA, I'd head over to Health Advantage and study with Susan Van Nuys. She'll build you some heat from within, I'll tell you! Plus, she is aso a fabulous teacher and really nice, somewhat shy person.

Look for a teacher in NoVA named Ursula Cox. Not only is she a fabulous teacher, but she's a wonderful person. She teaches at Down Dog, her practice for years was Ashtanga, but she also has a differed background that makes her a safer teacher for beginners.

Another person to look for is Margaret Townsend. One of her locations is Moksha Yoga in Alexandria. She is Anusara trained and very careful to set a foundation in beginning Ashtanga so you can learn these different asana without the normally found risks of shoulder, elbow and wrist injury. She is an excellent person for someone just coming to the Ashtanga tradition.

Then, of course, you could always hike it up to Dupont or Tenley Circle and just do Bikram.
And if you do decide to delve into the other limbs of yoga, you can take Neel up on his admittedly shameless plug. (GD&R!!!) Although his deliver here is frquently made in absolutes, with which I disagree, it's clear his absolutes are based upon a solid understanding of the other 7 limbs of yoga. Plus, he has studied yet another lineage, which would add further depth to your practice.

Explore. Don't focus on a single element such as heat, but try all kinds of stuff. Each method has something interesting and very effective to offer. Each method has something someone else disagrees with! As my teacher says, "don't accept it as gospel until you've felt it in your own body." Applying that to experimenting with asana is a good way to find all kinds of things that work for you on different days!

Good luck. We have so much yoga around here that you can't spit without hitting a studio and the Starbuck's next to the studio.

C.
C.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-18 10:02 AM (#12453 - in reply to #12328)

To add to her highness Yogadancer's prescription:

- she has commented with respect on my teachings only by reading my Postinngs and NOT by attending my instructions.

- However, Ursula Cox, Margaret Townsend, and Moksha Studio and many of Baron's students (senior students) as well as some Sun and Moon Ashtanga Teachers know me practically. And, you can contact them better.

- If you like only heat, I can put a space heater in my class. But, when it gets too hot, I shall leave you, I mean with the Heater.

Regards
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Yoga With Jill
Posted 2004-11-19 10:59 PM (#12594 - in reply to #12407)

Hello - thank you very much for your information. Once the hectic-ness of Thanksgiving is over, and I have a day free, I am going to call and register for a class. I am substituting for a lot of people on holidays now, and I would love to come in on a day, when I have not already taught, and do not have the obligation to teach - so I am free to really experience the your practice. Thank you again -- Jill
Yoga With Jill
Posted 2004-11-19 11:11 PM (#12596 - in reply to #12441)

Thank you for the great, informative e-mail. As I am in Ashburn, VA I do Bikram at falls church studio,and I think Urusla attends a few classes there. I met her -- if its the same woman. I also teach Yoga ( a very gym style Hatha class ) at Lady of America gym -- yes, I am certified to teach that all American version of Sports sytle yoga - and we set - because we go through the salutations quick, and I add pilates work in there- -hence the name of the classes - yogilates. But my girlfriend goes to Down Dog studio once a week. I am pretty physical -- ride 30 miles on bike 2 times a week, and teach 5 classes a week, and take Bikram 2-3 times a week -- so I am going to try the Down Dog studio. I did go to health advantage and was told I HAD to start in the beginners series. I was so bored - not challenged in the least, and could not focus on the yoga, so I decided not to continue. I guess I wanted to start up a little higher. I studied Yoga in 1984 in Florida and have been practicing in some shape or form since... I can meditate and do beginners series at home and thoroughly enjoy it at home as well. When I go to classes, I want to explore, to learn, to challenge myself physically and spiritually. I am really into trying the Downdog studio in George town. I do love 'popping' Baptise's videos in once in a while on a rainy day when I cannot get out, so this may be up my alley -- (although a 45 minute drive from my alley) -- but none-the-less -- worthwhile. Best yoga class I have ever take -- Canyon Ranch Spa in the Venetian hotel in of all places Las Vegas -- I miss hot, power yoga!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-20 7:24 AM (#12604 - in reply to #12441)

Health Advantage is known for looking at someone, listening to what they think they know about yoga and (believe it or not) pretty accurately judging where the person needs to begin. They have what we joke about as "ego detectors." It's when the ego is talking and the person doesn't know enough to know that. Since I haven't met you, and based soley on your posts and desire vs. need? You miiiiiight want to consider slowing down a bit for more rapid progress down the line.

Since you haven't practiced Anusara yoga or much at all outside the Bikram family, the beginning is where you need to start. Walk before you run. However, you don't (IMHO) need to start in a level I. I'd have suggested you start with a I/II on a short session, then see if you've picked up enough of the body instructions to move on.

There's a tough lesson I'm trying to learn still myself. What we want and what we need aren't always the same thing. You want hot (or) power yoga. You need (probably) safer form and alignment to move through either hot or power (they're different, dearheart) yoga.

Lemme let you in on a secret. No studio is going to turn your money away. At Willow Street, the Ashtanga Center, and Golden Heart we have people who have absolutely no business in the levels they're taking. However, it's either the only time they can come, or they have elevated estimations of their capabilities, whatever. Bottom line, the studios don't want to lose the student, risk they'll go on to something less safe, and/or prevent the student from taking yoga at all. The teachers cannot slow the classes, but the students learn to follow instructions about modifying, I can tell you that! My point, you ask?

Register and take a I/II as your "theory." It will greatly improve the ability NOT to injure yourself while learning another school of yoga as you take what you WANT. Everyone needs theory in some fashion. Dancers, musicians, etc. You could also email Susan Van Nuys and tell her what you're looking for, but that you were totally bored in the class you took. She might have ideas for you. She's pretty amazing and very pragmatic.

Being physical does not guarantee your ability to change yoga forms without injury. We've all heard that before. Guess what? Dancers are flexible, but that doesn't guarantee their ability to use their bodies wisely, either, does not? Don't let your ego whisper in your ear. Take a beginner's mind and learn to challenge yourself more deeply with something that bores you. Overcome the ego part of your (our) practice for future gain. It does help.

Ursula is fabulous. Please tell her Christine (from Beryl and the Ashtanga Center) says hello next time you run into her? Margaret, too, if you can get to Moska. These two, if you insist ( ) upon throwing yourself into something, would be the safest and most fun bets I'd suggest to someone in our area. Particularly on the VA side.

Christine

Edited by YogaDancer 2004-11-20 7:34 AM
danielac
Posted 2004-11-29 2:58 PM (#13004 - in reply to #12328)

Try the hot yoga network. www.hotyoganetwork.com. You may be able to find studios that offer hot vinyasa classes in your area. Also Jimmy Barkan has a website and you can go to his teacher locator section and look up hot yoga teachers in your area. http://jimmyyoga.com/hotyogalocator.htm
Good Luck!
yogabrian
Posted 2004-11-30 3:00 PM (#13054 - in reply to #12328)

You may get turned down flat, but why not ask your Bikram studio if they have the advanced series? Most Bikram studios have the stupid "teachers only" rule. It is worth shot, what the worst they will say? The 84 classic asanas is quite a workout,although it is 2-2.5 hours long.

If they won't let you in, go to Tony Sanchez's site and buy the 84 classic asanas poster. I think it is around $25.00. His web address is www.usyoga.org

Edited by yogabrian 2004-11-30 3:06 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-11-30 7:07 PM (#13072 - in reply to #13054)

Expert Yogi

The "teachers only" rule is one of the dumbest things in the Bikram universe.
I guess the reason for it is that there's no dialog for the "advanced" class, or
simply that most Bikram instructors aren't prepared to teach those poses. Actually,
my experience with Bikram studios is that most of them don't have an advanced
class since most of the teachers aren't doing the advanced series. Within an hour's drive
of me, I know of only two studios that are teaching the advanced series (out of
maybe...oh...a dozen Bikram studios...it's hard to count because they all seem to
be closing or converting to "hot yoga"). In both cases, it's an invitation only deal with
the classes not mentioned on the web site.

I learned those advanced asanas from Tony Sanchez, who does them all beautifully
by the way. There's no reason to limit yourself to Bikram. Buy Tony's Yoga Challenge IV
tape, it's all there.

yogabrian
Posted 2004-11-30 8:27 PM (#13080 - in reply to #12328)

Bay guy,

We may know each other. I too learned the series from Tony. When did you train with him?

Brian
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)