YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga at home
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

somebong
Posted 2005-04-07 7:00 PM (#21390)
Subject: Yoga at home

Here is another thing I have been juggling with.

I am a student at MIT and I always have a lot of work. The closest Bikram Studio is one the subway. It is a hassle to get to since I have no car and some of the classes are not very convenient, especially around exam weeks.

What is the best way to stay motivated and practice at home? I have tried using a watch to count the number of seconds for each posture, but should I also use a mirror? I do heat the room a bit. Can you do a good job of replicating the teacher guidance at home?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-07 8:09 PM (#21399 - in reply to #21390)
Subject: RE: Yoga at home

Expert Yogi

Well, if you practice at home you have the benefit of deciding what the temperature will be and not having to worry about a mirror or the timings. Usually it is suggested that you time by counting your breaths to start but if you really want a timer - go for it. Teacher guidance you gotta go to class for until his/her voice starts talking in your head while you practice
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-07 9:38 PM (#21405 - in reply to #21390)

Expert Yogi

You might check whether your university has yoga classes on campus. Maybe
you don't really need to take the subway to the studio? Or maybe you can find a
more conveniently located "hot yoga" studio? Most of those places are actually
teaching the Bikram yoga.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-07 10:16 PM (#21416 - in reply to #21405)

Expert Yogi

My Bikram home practice is wonderful, fabulous and I like it alot!!! I have 2 Gigantic mirrors one for each side that I can see myself completely even in Trikonasana. I heat with space heaters to approximately 100 degrees NO more and run the bathtub and sinks with scalding hot water - no problems here. I did learn the sequence from a Bikram/Yoga Instructor, attending a workshop a year ago, got her 90 minute audio tape of the sequence and Bikram's, practiced it at home using the tapes until I got comfortable by myself. I sometimes alternate depending on what kind of mood I'm in. Most of the time, I like silence. You don't have to hold the postures very long and its best to start off with just a few breaths at a time for each one. Sometimes I find myself holding some postures way longer than in classtime and that is always fun the next day, and sometimes it is so exhilirating to be able to concentrate and do it longer without any distractions. You also get to align yourself when you are alone, and you don't have to hurry up and finish the asana to get to the next one. I hate Bikram's old tape because I feel like I am being rushed, but I love his dialogue and he's a motivator. I've thought about redoing his tape to allow longer times inbetween each asana.

You need to read Bikram's book and also another good one after you study Bikram's is Marilyn Barnett's Hot Yoga book. Bikram's book is the best one for instruction and the Hot Yoga gives more detail about alignment. Good luck with your home practice.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-07 11:32 PM (#21423 - in reply to #21416)

Expert Yogi

So Cyndi - are you saying that you practice in your bathroom? Not that there's anything wrong with that....
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-08 8:40 AM (#21429 - in reply to #21423)

Expert Yogi

Actually, I wish my bathroom were that big!! My little house is so small that I took the bathroom door off because it was just big and bulky and in my way. I hung some nice curtains instead...so, when I practice, I can open the curtains and the humidity flows into the other room which is where I do my yoga. I have a small sink area in the Yoga Room (like a bar - sorry Bruce, no Guiness or Vodka) that I fill with hot water, for more humidity. We get lots of rain here in the mountains, so there are some days it is way too much - humidity.

I wish I did have one of those sauna bathrooms that was mirrored all around with tile floors and fancy fixtures...then YES!! I would do my yoga in there and then I would slide into the sauna bath - sounds just heavenly. Hmm, maybe after I get my car air conditioner fixed I can work on arranging my dream Sauna/Yoga studio!

Sooo, if you come to my house and don't like not having a bathroom door...house rule is girls only upstairs if you need to pee, downstairs is where the boys bathroom is - with a door, or we have the Jungle (as Satyam calls it) that is very vast and open, no neighbors to worry about Yes, I know Bruce, we mountain hillbillies are very strange!! You know what though?? In the countryside of Nepal, my husband says they don't have their bathrooms in the house...its outside and you have to go fetch your water from the main water area for some houses.

Posted 2005-04-08 9:13 AM (#21430 - in reply to #21429)

Cyndi Lou Who wrote: "Yes, I know Bruce, we mountain hillbillies are very strange!! You know what though?? In the countryside of Nepal, my husband says they don't have their bathrooms in the house...its outside and you have to go fetch your water from the main water area for some houses."

And that my dear, is why your hubby no doubt LOVES living in America--where even the bathroom facilities of the Clampett's beats those of Nepal.

tourist
Posted 2005-04-08 9:59 AM (#21433 - in reply to #21430)

Expert Yogi

You got that right, Bruce! Every time someone starts talking about living closer to nature or how wonderful it would be to live the simple life in some third world country, I bless my running water and indoor toilet.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-08 10:45 AM (#21436 - in reply to #21433)

Expert Yogi

You guys are too funny. Of course we Americans LOVE our bathrooms. My bathroom is my sanctuary. But, if I were living in Nepal or India, I could get used to NOT having the bathroom in the house and I would, in my mind, think of camping all the time - which is what I do alot! I guess its just a matter of what you are used to. There are some really cool mountain homes here in NC and I have spent lots of time ruffing in on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the NC mountains. Afterall, my Father took me on many hiking trips on the Appalachain Trail...once it rained the entire time due to an unexpected forecast...talk about fun and sleeping inside a dirty old hunters cabin and not having a choice...it doesn't bother me to be in nature at all, although it is more convienent when you can set up your tent before the rain. What bothers me is being clean. I look at the natural forest, dirt, trees, Rhodenderons and a nice waterfall or creek as clean...Dirty to me is seeing Sh%t and toilet tissue laying everywhere and human trash...that to me is disgusting. I believe in the "leave no trace" policy for using the forest, we bury our crap and burn the rest. I wish the people in Khatmandu would practice that way and I sometimes don't understand why they don't.

If anyone is going to Amdo Tibet...none of the above applies...totally different. Not only are you dealing with the above mentioned...your are freezing your A%$ off and there are no trees, no outside bathrooms, only a big ditch. My friends who went to a monastery there said they had to hold up a blanket so the monks couldn't see you. They also lived in tents which are very pretty and very big. Talk about ruffing it. The high temperature in the summer (1 month out of the year if that) is maybe in the low 50's, if your lucky you get a couple of warm hours...but, look out at night!!
somebong
Posted 2005-04-08 1:12 PM (#21441 - in reply to #21390)

Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to try out studying at home. The other thing that is motivating me to stay at home is the sanitary factor. My studio is not too careful about keeping the carpet clean.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 12:35 AM (#21477 - in reply to #21441)

Expert Yogi

Yeah - we've had some nice discussions about stinky carpets here in the past. Where's that gag icon, Bruce?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)