YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

thinking of abandoning bikram?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

gogirl58
Posted 2005-04-05 3:26 AM (#21137)
Subject: thinking of abandoning bikram?

Extreme Veteran

I have been in a Bikram crisis for a couple months. A few things precipitated it.
1. I hurt my shoulder and I wondered if Bikram was partially the cause.
2. I saw my chiropractor who warned me against the cobra pose. I have some bone loss
on L5. This made me more frightened about injury.
3. My studio purchased a humidifier as well as a new furnace ( at least it looks new) so it's
hotter than ever.
I missed about 3 weeks, went to one class, than waited 9 days and went again today.
I love the way it makes me feel, but I am a little hesitant about pushing myself all the way into poses and when I hold back, it causes me to have less fun.
On the other hand, when I started I couldn't even lay flat for savasana, and standing with my legs together was very uncomfortable. I have gained considerable strength, improved my posture, becomes much wiser, and lost 5 to 10 pounds.
Since I've missed I've gained a few pounds nad I feel uncoordinated and bad ( evne though I've continued my aerobics and I have been gardening.

I was formerly attending yoga 2 to 3 times a week. I attend Curves ( a 30 minute aerobic class)
2 to 3 times a week. I try to walk 1 to 2 days a week ( about 2 miles)
I know this is very disorganized ambivalent posting.

I am considering Ashtanga. Do you feel the risk of injury with Ashtanga is less?, the knowledge of anatomy is more?

Do you get that great Bikram feeling?

Advice please. Is there anything I should avoid in looking for an Ashtanga class?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-05 6:13 AM (#21139 - in reply to #21137)
Subject: RE: thinking of abandoning bikram?

Extreme Veteran

I personally have abandoned Bikram (well, I will be abandoning it in 7 weeks- I'm an instructor and my last class is 5/19). I am doing so because I just can't stand to practice in that hot room anymore. I haven't had that great Bikram feeling in a while. But I know exactly what you mean- when I first started and for about the first year I LOVED Bikram yoga. Going to teacher training changed the practice for me (and not for the better). I often wonder if I would still be loving it if I hadn't gone to training.

Anyhoo . . . regarding Ashtanga- it is an awesome practice but I feel that the risk of injury might be greater. The Bikram postures themselves really are geared to beginners (it's the heat that makes the practice hard, IMO). Ashtanga isn't going to "cause" injury but there are quite a few more postures in the primary series than in Bikram's series and many of them are harder. You definitely need to be more mindful of what you can and can't do as a beginner.

I practiced Ashtanga briefly for a while and loved it- found it much more satisfying than Bikram. The studio was too far away for me to commit to regular practice though.

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-05 9:48 AM (#21148 - in reply to #21137)
Subject: RE: thinking of abandoning bik

Dear gogirl58:
What you should avoid is following:

Stop looking at Yoga as Bikram, Iyengar, Ashtanga, etc. That is what you must avoid.

Then, look at what you want to achieve in Yoga.

And, then do NOT injure the injured parts and let them heal while doing whatever you do, whether Yoga, or Cooking, or sleeping.

And, form your practice. Do NOT go to a class where you can NOT address the above points.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-05 10:56 AM (#21158 - in reply to #21148)

Expert Yogi

Wow!! Thanks Neelbhai. That is probably the best advice I've heard in a long time. I guess that is why I stay at home to practice...for this very reason, I can achieve what I want to by doing Yoga...NOT by what everyone else is doing and how they are doing it. Thank you for reminding me of that. Sometimes I think I am not looking or comparing myself to others, when in fact, I really am...you know what?? When I do, I feel really awful about myself, to the point where I get discouraged on some level. But at home, I allow myself room to BREATHE and Be Happy and content where I am.

Today, I just did plain ole' Yoga
yogabrian
Posted 2005-04-05 11:50 AM (#21161 - in reply to #21137)

Gogirl,

With your back I think that you need to seek out a qualifed instructor who can address and modify the poses for you as needed. I won't matter what stlye you do, if the teacher doesn't modify for your back you more than likely will still be in danger of furthering injury.

Also, you may be just pushing too hard. While you might not have as fun, your body will thank you later. Pushing too hard and beyond your limits in yoga is kind of like getting drunk, might feel great when you are doing it, but the hangover the next day is murder! You may not be ready to go to some of the place in your practice you are going right now. Try backing off your intensity of the poses and working within your limits. I feel that the Bikram sequence is a good one in general, but often the extreme heat and the extreme teachers are what kill people bodies.

The ashtanga system may also appeal to you. Never know until you try things out!

Brian

MrD
Posted 2005-04-05 11:51 AM (#21162 - in reply to #21137)
Subject: Ashtanga = strong shoulders

If there is any type of yoga that really works the shoulders, it's Ashtanga. What with all the sun salutations, and the jump forwards and jump backs. They also do arm balances head stands and handstands in every practice. This is excellent for the body. I had a shoulder problem for 15 years that went away with yoga. Make sure the teacher has experience with injuries and modifications. Don't be intimidated by what others do. Do what you can do.

Ashtanga also moves quickly. That adds a tremendous element of fun for me. Poses are often called out by name rather than described. So make sure you attend the beginner classes first where thay are broken down for you. If you are interested in Ashtanga if your area does Power yoga you might want to try that. It's a blend of Ashtanga, Bikram, and Iyengar so they move slightly slower and pay a lot more attention to detail and alignment.

Slower yogas actually build muscle strength better than quicker moving ones. You may want to consider Iyenger, Anusara gentle or restorative yoga as well.

I agree completely with Neel that it's all yoga. For me that has taken on the aspect that I like to attend several different styles in a week. Ashtanga/power are my favorites, but I find Bikram highly attractive as a supplimental yoga. I've never had any other one that unwinds cramped muscles better. It is also helping my muscles stretch farther without injury

Edited by MrD 2005-04-05 11:59 AM
gogirl58
Posted 2005-04-05 9:09 PM (#21223 - in reply to #21137)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I am finishing by set of
Bikram classes, but I will probably try exploring some beginning classes.
somebong
Posted 2005-04-07 7:03 PM (#21391 - in reply to #21137)

is it that maybe someone who does bikram should engage in other forms of you and/or cross train? I currently swim and do Bikram, but since I am in Boston, I am thinking of trying out the Baptiste. I can tell you that I don't think Bikram really does a good job of working the upper body since there is no plank pose.

What are your thoughts?

Posted 2005-04-07 7:10 PM (#21393 - in reply to #21391)

You're absolutely right--Baptiste will do that.
MrD
Posted 2005-04-07 7:36 PM (#21395 - in reply to #21391)

somebong - 2005-04-07 7:03 PM

is it that maybe someone who does bikram should engage in other forms of you and/or cross train? I currently swim and do Bikram, but since I am in Boston, I am thinking of trying out the Baptiste. I can tell you that I don't think Bikram really does a good job of working the upper body since there is no plank pose.

What are your thoughts?

Had some workshops from Baron and you will do a lot of Vinyassas, Sun Salutation A's in particular. He doesn't do arm balances or headstands as much as my current Ashtanga Studio, but there will honestly be plenty. He can also do some amazing core work. I have some instructors that got their training from him and they're also great so I don't think you have to get Baron to have an excellent class.
gogirl58
Posted 2005-04-10 12:50 AM (#21548 - in reply to #21137)

Extreme Veteran

Just to report in.. I went a few days without Bikram and I again wanted my Bikram class.
I had a hard day at working packing boxes (we're moving) and then driving on the freeway.
I went to my class, even though I was late because I felt that I couldn't do my weekend without a Friday night class. So the addiction returns. I feel as though my relationship with Bikram has
changed and I still am going to check out other classes.

I went to my local yoga studio Thursday night for a beginning 4 week series. I waited there
for 15 minutes with the whole class. Someone went to the front desk and found out that
the teacher had decided to start the series next week. After a very perfunctory "sorry" we got our money back. Not a good start to my travels in the land of different yoga styles.
I never have had a teacher miss in three years of Bikram. I will go back to the "well rounded woman" class next week. One of my fellow abandonees in this class recommended it. It is supposedly a slow class with a lot of information of postures and help with alignment.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)