YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

uncertain
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

brendajoost
Posted 2004-11-07 8:32 AM (#11737)
Subject: uncertain

I have been struggling with panic attacks for over a year now. I started exercising last year 5 times a week with cardio, strenth training and i just started yoga. For some reason I can not lose the weight that I have put on and it is so frustrating. I have gain mucsle but not where I am bulk up. I started exercising because I have been have suffered from panic attacks to where I have been rushed to the hosiptal on many occasions because I thought I was having a heart attack or storke or I was just going plan crazy. Sometimes I am afaird to leave the house because I am scared that I will have another panic attack. I just don't unserstand why it is happening to me. I have a great job a great life and a good kid. that's all I have to say for now.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-08 9:05 AM (#11770 - in reply to #11737)
Subject: RE: uncertain

Does not this obviously mean:

a) your training requires more mind than body. This means definitely working at Gym.

b) that your body training is WRONG. You need a guided training at least to start with.

c) you need to exactly figure out why you want to loose weight. For your own health, or attracting others, to feel good, whatever. Then you have to train in that direction.

d) know the nature of panic attack and get experienced instruction, rather than seeking a generalized off the counter instruction.

Best Luck.
neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-08 9:07 AM (#11771 - in reply to #11737)

Panic attacks are about control.
Whether or not we realize or admit it, there's an element of your life where you don't feel in control. Not necessarily even at the mercy of someone/else, but just not in charge. It does't matter how much you tell yourself you have a great life, job, relationship, whatever, there is some place you don't feel in control. Now it's seemingly come to the point where you're becoming housebound by trying to control your attacks. Can't. It's just not that kind of party. You must address the source, not the attack. I have a feeling I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but when trying to rationalize these attacks we sometimes reject that which we don't want to apply to ourselves. Just realize you're not alone, unique or special in this situation. It is deal-able and changeable, but you might need help.

I can see by your post you don't feel in control of your body, for example. You can't make it do what you want, even logically knowing that you can't spot lose weight nor spot bulk to any successful degree.

I would suggest two things:
1) find a counselor that specializes in anxiety and PTSD
2) add a Pranayama class to your regime. Controlled breathing exercises are frequently used in anxiety, panic and asthema attacks. They give you something to focus on ... and control.

Don't rule out some of the antianxiety meds. They're side effects are minimal and can change your life.
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-09 6:44 PM (#11877 - in reply to #11737)

Brendajoost, I know where you are coming from. I've been where you're at. Panic attacks and anxiety disorders are not fun at all. I agree with a lot of what YogaDancer said. If you are not seeking professional help, maybe you should as your physical activity regime seems like it isn't helping you much at all. Locking yourself away doesn't solve the problem, in fact it can make it worse--it made it worse for me. What helped me was to not to try and suppress the issue, but facing it head on. As YogaDancer said, try doing classes that focus more pranayama/breathwork as a lot of the principles in pranayama are similar to what they teach in anxiety and asthma management groups and classes. Also, as Neel said, maybe you're focusing too much on the physical part of your yoga practice and not enough on the mental/emotional/calming aspects. I believe by going more in depth into the more internal areas of your practice rather than the external/physical, you might find some relief to your panic attacks--focusing more on these parts of my practice helped me a lot.

Please be patient and know you are not alone.

Edited by itchytummy 2004-11-09 6:46 PM
brendajoost
Posted 2004-11-09 10:27 PM (#11898 - in reply to #11877)

Thank you very much for the support it is really needed. I have seek professional help and had my panic attacks pretty much under control. Until these past few months, I was taken of the paxil and my systoms started all over again. And now I feel I am losing control all over again. I guess i am trying to reach out to people that have been in the same boat I am in. I have been doing yoga for over a week now in the morning before I go to work. And I love it. I wish I would of started it sooner. It does make me feel a lot calmer. Plus I still go to the gym after work for cardio. My doctor has started me on Paxil again and I have to wait for my body to adjust to the medication all over again, I just wish I could survive without the medication. Maybe one day I will. Thanks
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-09 11:06 PM (#11901 - in reply to #11898)

Didn't your doctor start you out on very small doses first so you would not have such strong side effect reactions to it? Please say he or she did, because if that person didn't, that's not safe for your mind or body. Hopefully, your body will adjust though. I found when I was having similar issues with panic or anxiety attacks it helped to practice in the morning to calm myself so that I can start the day strong and at night before I went to bed so that I can end off the day restfully and calmly and so that I could sleep well. I found that doing cardio in the evening keyed me up and made me anxious, making it difficult for me to sleep, and when I couldn't sleep well it would often carry into the next day, increasing chances of a horrible attack. Perhaps if you tried what I did it might help you, as practicing yoga even just a little bit...even just 10-15 minutes of easy asana practice, breathwork, or meditation by itself at the beginning and end of the days helped immensely. It worked for me, maybe it'll work for you if you try it.

One of my yoga teachers once said something very wise which has helped me a lot in tough times and which you can apply to your situation:
Know that you are loved.
You are never alone.
If you make clear what you want,
the forces of the universe will come to your side
as long as your intentions are pure and good.
As long as you always remember you are always loved,
you will never be alone.

Edited by itchytummy 2004-11-09 11:08 PM
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-09 11:23 PM (#11902 - in reply to #11898)

You know, I think we give ourselves a lot of unnecessary hoo-ha about taking meds. There are some that just plain improve the quality of life.

I've taken birth control pills since I was 16. That's 30 years now. I went off twice with miserable consequences, because some person (insurance changes) overreacting to my duration. Ovarian cysts grew, periods hemmoraged, weight gained, temperature fluxations, etc. All subsided again when I went back to my original doctor and went back on the pill. The risks to me, including pregnancy at my age (even then) were higher than those direly screamed at me about being on the pill for an extended time. Plus, I've been in a controlled study for YEARS for someone on the pill, who doesn't smoke, do drugs, or have a history of ovarian or breast cancer in my family. Yet these two different doctors were freaked out about meds.

People take high blood pressure and insulin to improve not only their quality of life, but life itself. Why would Paxil or Prozac, or some other medicine that balances our brain chemicals be anything different? It's not like it's a statement about us as human beings? Or if anything, it's a statement that says we are smart and aware and taking care of ourselves.

There are far more people around who do understand what you're going through. I think it's incredibly important for healing and peace of mind for this to become less of an ooOoooo thing and more of an an Oh, yeah? thing. Because in the long run, it just doesn't matter. Living in peace, being able to relax and enjoy life and those you care about? That's what's important.

And of course, if you want it to? Yoga can enhance this. Evidently you're noticing something after a week's dedication. Good for you.
C.

Orbilia
Posted 2004-11-10 5:42 AM (#11904 - in reply to #11898)

I've had a range of anxiety related conditions myself over the years. I'm extrapolating here, but if your symptoms have returned since coming off your meds, that would suggest to me that there's still some unresolved cause of stress in your life, one over which you feel you have no control. Is this the case? Are you trying to fix things on your own if so? If so, please be brave and ask for help.

Best wishes,

Fiona

brendajoost - 2004-11-10 3:27 AM

Thank you very much for the support it is really needed. I have seek professional help and had my panic attacks pretty much under control. Until these past few months, I was taken of the paxil and my systoms started all over again. And now I feel I am losing control all over again. I guess i am trying to reach out to people that have been in the same boat I am in. I have been doing yoga for over a week now in the morning before I go to work. And I love it. I wish I would of started it sooner. It does make me feel a lot calmer. Plus I still go to the gym after work for cardio. My doctor has started me on Paxil again and I have to wait for my body to adjust to the medication all over again, I just wish I could survive without the medication. Maybe one day I will. Thanks
caseylane
Posted 2004-11-10 9:16 AM (#11912 - in reply to #11737)

I want to say bravo to the no nonsense advice here. Too often medication is looked down upon as some kind of crutch. To me it's no different than getting a pair of glasses. If your body/mind needs help, get it.

I've had depression but not nearly as bad as my sister. She had severe anxiety attacks and ended up agoraphobic and rarely left the house for years. Finally with thearapy she started getting better a little. When she was mentally able to accept medication (without looking at it as a weakness) her world changed completely. Now she works outside the home, is active with quilting groups, goes to church and shops till she drops. I would use the word miracle if it wasn't so trite.

Body's come in many makeup's. Some are tall, some dark skinned, some bald, some gay, some need glasses and some need help with body chemestry. It doesn't make you less, it just means you are you.

itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-10 4:41 PM (#11941 - in reply to #11912)

I can understand people's views here, but I can see what some doctors are hesitant to give meds. Western society is a quick fix society--I've seen people with hangnails, or people having just lightly bumped their heads go to the doctor wanting strong pain killers. Really, I think the people who try to get medication from their doctors are the ones who ruin it for the people who really need it. There have been cases of people with hypochondria and munchausen's disease who will believe they are really sick when they are not or will fake an illness to fit a psychological need. There are also people addicted to prescription drugs out there--some people want morphine, valium, percoset, etc. just for the feeling it gives them. So with people like this around who can blame a doctor for wanting to be cautious? (If they're not someone could scream malpractice.) With the way things are nowadays I can see how it's getting harder and harder to determine who really needs medication and who doesn't. Hopefully most people have good enough doctors who can make that critical decision.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)