YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cureperry's onfire
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

cureperry
Posted 2004-08-23 3:47 PM (#9339)
Subject: cureperry's onfire

I am very concerend about my health in a Bikram class. I tend to sweat alot during physical activity and heat and I am concerned that the extreme temperatures will hurt my or make me pass out. Should I give the class a try anyway, and what should I do to prepare myself?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-08-23 3:57 PM (#9340 - in reply to #9339)
Subject: RE: cureperry's onfire

Nobody sweats more than I do--I can easily go through four towels in a 90 minute seeion and still be standing in a puddle. Good hydration is essential--I recommend 64oz of water daily and make it routine. First few days will be rewarded by WAY too much hydration. And indeed you may pass out the first day unless you look out for yourself and rest during practice as a good teacher will tell you up front. An inexperienced teacher may not tell you that. However, if you feel you need to take a knee or lie down or indeed leave the room as you get used to the heat and the teacher gives you grief, give me their name and I'll straighten them out

Seriously, you WILL sweat and if like most others, you'll feel at least weak and queasy that first day but try to listen to the teacher while listening to your body. It's your practice and your money--you are a customer but want to respect the teacher so don't make a total judgement that first day--things do get better. Again if you're like most, the rewards--physical and mental--will justify some discomfort.
sanjayw
Posted 2004-08-25 1:39 PM (#9409 - in reply to #9339)

I completely second what Bruce says. I sweat a lot in class, in fact I did not know my body was capable of sweating so much before Bikram. I would also recommend drinking something with electrolytes (Gatorade, emergen-C powder+water) after class. Finally, I think all this advice assumes you have no medical reason for your concern. If there is no medical reason for your concern, take Bruce's advice and you should be fine.
Gracie
Posted 2004-08-25 3:43 PM (#9412 - in reply to #9339)

On the flipside, I don't understand when people do not sweat AT ALL in class. I don't see how that can be a good thing. I am also a big sweater when I work out, and I am proud of it . I start sweating immdediately during the breathing exercises. My hair and clothes are drenched after class. It always amazes me when women come into the bathroom post yoga class, and are completely dry. Why would that happen? Not enough liquids before class??

Posted 2004-08-25 4:27 PM (#9413 - in reply to #9412)

Hannah--I thought you ladies glistened rather than sweat...don't tell me you burb and fart too?
Gracie
Posted 2004-08-25 4:37 PM (#9415 - in reply to #9339)

Oh never, I leave that to my hubby.
LoraB
Posted 2004-08-25 5:36 PM (#9418 - in reply to #9339)

I dont' know much about Ayurveda, but I remember going through a questionaire to determine my dosha, and there was a question about sweating...Some people just are prone to sweating more than others. I'm definitely hydrated, but tend not to sweat too much when practicing unless it's a packed classed directly in the sun (and then, oh man, is it a mess). Depends on my cycle, as well - there's a distinct difference between the beginning, middle, and end....
demyfan
Posted 2004-08-26 9:25 AM (#9427 - in reply to #9339)

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but I mean it to be. I vomited after my first Bikram class and I am NOT the vomiting type! It really freaked me out when it happened, but I think it is common the first class or two to have that kind of reaciton. you just have to work through it and persevere! When I tell non-Bikram people this, they think I am insane for going back, and maybe I am, but I just LOVE this yoga!
cureperry
Posted 2004-08-30 4:04 PM (#9547 - in reply to #9339)

Thanks for the info. Im goin to my first class tomorrow!! Ive been drinking lots of water and Ive been have two glasses of emergen C, so we'll c how it goes.
grrrskank
Posted 2004-08-31 10:46 AM (#9563 - in reply to #9339)

dude i just had my 3rd bikram class on monday night and it just gets better and better in my first class i almost walked out it was toooo much but babe the more you go the more you love it gatorade helps alot i dont feel sick in class anymore and im full or energy from beginning to end.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)