YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would like to try Bikram, but am afraid of the heat
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

LisainCalif
Posted 2004-08-02 1:41 PM (#8818)
Subject: Would like to try Bikram, but am afraid of the heat

Hello,
I have done various Hatha yoga classes over the years. I would love to start taking yoga 3 times a week when my little one goes to preshool from 9-12 in the fall. The only yoga studio in our area is a Bikram studio. I have heard it is a good one--it one best yoga studio in a local paper's "Best of the Best" for 2004.

The problem is that I am a VERY fair skinned blond. I don't tend to sweat much even when the temperature and my activities call for it. I have had a heat stroke before when I was a teenager, and got very ill and had to be hospitalized for several days. I am very concerned about the heat aspect of Bikram on my body. I just don't tolerate heat well. I get nauseous and feel faint and will have headaches that last for hours when I get overheated. My face turns beet red, and I cannot function properly.

Any advice? Anyone else very fair skinned and have problems with heat and are still able to do Bikram?

Thanks,
Lisa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
comedienne
Posted 2004-08-02 2:04 PM (#8819 - in reply to #8818)
Subject: RE: Would like to try Bikram, but am afraid of the heat

I am a fair skined red headed. Subject to heat stroke with ease. I could run 4 miles withough so much a getting damp ANYWHERE on my body! So it's with trepidation that I stepped into a Bikram class. I'll be honest, my unfit butt spent a good 1/3 of my first class on the floor!!!! I didn't sweat at all. I WAS however very very well hydrated. I went back the next day!!! Equally well hydrated. And I DID sweat. Even more so on day 3. Within a week I'm proud to anounce I meander outside (to the astonishment of those that know me) when it's 80-something and I don't die (trust me... anything over 75 before and I melted like a candle in a fireplace!!!)

If you're going to Bikram you MUST be hydrated! That does NOT mean gulping a gallon of water an hour before class. Get hydrated for a few days before your first class (drink AT LEAST half your body weight in oz of water), your body will REALLY thank you. And remember... you can sit or lay in class if it's too much for you. Each time WILL get easier!

Edwina

Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-08-02 3:01 PM (#8820 - in reply to #8818)

Lisa,

I personally love Bikram and have been practicing 3 times a week since last October. I have a pretty high tolerance for heat, living here in the Phoenix area and sweat easily enough. I have noticed quite a few very fair people in Bikram classes who practice quite often.

In addition to the possiblilty that you may not be able to tolerate the heat, there is also the possiblity that you may be able to tolerate it but just "endure" it rather than "enjoy" it. Bikram isn't for everybody but if you do practice it, it should be something you love and look forward to, not an endurance contest.

The only way to find out is to try it. As stated above, one cannot over-emphasize the importance of ADVANCE hydration and hydration AFTER. Most people can only drink a limited amount during class because having too much water in your stomach during certain asanas tends to make you nauseous. And, you will need to replace electrolytes too.

Do you know if you have any medical problems that would cause your low heat tolerance? You might want to check that out if you haven't already.

Best wishes to you and let us know how it goes.

Posted 2004-08-02 4:16 PM (#8827 - in reply to #8818)

There is NOBODY whiter than me Lisa and the Bikram heat is tolerable. As the folks here advise regarding hydration, I echo the comments and remind you to pay attention to how you feel in class, communicate with the teacher and remember you're a paying customer--if you get to feeling poorly, do what you need to do--be it rest or get the heck out of that room--don't be intimidated by a gung ho instructor.
LisainCalif
Posted 2004-08-03 1:10 AM (#8831 - in reply to #8827)

Bruce - 2004-08-02 4:16 PM

There is NOBODY whiter than me Lisa and the Bikram heat is tolerable..

That cracks me up! I just may be whiter than you!

Thank you so much for the replies. I think I will give it a try--and you are right..I suppose I could always leave in the middle if it was just terrible for me. It is just mortifying to think of having to do that, you know?

I will report back on my experience!
Take care,
Lisa
comedienne
Posted 2004-08-03 3:30 PM (#8848 - in reply to #8831)

LisainCalif - 2004-08-03 1:10 AM
I think I will give it a try--and you are right..I suppose I could always leave in the middle if it was just terrible for me. It is just mortifying to think of having to do that, you know?
NO judgement!!!! not allowed. do, accept, be, enjoy... and do not judge yourself! If you can stay in the room (even if it means laying down), that's good. Yes it's better than needing to run out coz you were pushing to hard. So, go, take it easy! ENJOY!

Looking forward to how you liked it!

Edwina
somebong
Posted 2004-08-26 8:52 PM (#9446 - in reply to #8818)

Hey gang!

I just wanted to let you all know that I consulted your input before doing Bikram Yoga. I just completed my first 3 classes in 3 days and I feel changes already! Thanks for the advice on hydrating well 12 hours in advance. I have completed the entire 26 sequences in the 3 classes and love it!

One thing I would like to add for people who are overweight and hesitant to try Bikram yoga is that you focus so much on yourself that there is no time to look at other people. I have love handles and was the most overweight person in the studio and I wear compression shorts with no shirt. My instructor was very supportive and your perception of yourself changes when you see yourself pushing yourself to a new limit. I thought that I would be overwhelmed by the sexy women in tight clothing, but honestly it is as if there is simply no time for criticizing. When you enter the hot room, there is only room for you and your yoga. Just remember you are the most important person in your life.

Posted 2004-08-26 9:49 PM (#9449 - in reply to #9446)

Welcome to the dark side mate! Good observations and accurate in my experience. My fellow Bikramites are all ages and all sizes and the most wonderfully accepting group I've ever encountered--present forum company excepted of course.
pbwilson
Posted 2004-08-27 2:26 PM (#9451 - in reply to #8818)

I'm confused. What's all this talk about fair-skinned people and the heat? Is there some reason fair-skinned people don't tolerate heat as well as darker skinned people?

Posted 2004-08-27 5:00 PM (#9455 - in reply to #9451)

I think fair skin folk are seen as coming from cooler climates or, by not being tanned, it's assumed they just aren't sun worshippers...or are tied to a freaking computer all day like I am! Anyay, just a slight generalization about folk--no racial slant intended.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)