YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

organ movements
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

livia
Posted 2010-03-07 11:39 AM (#121785)
Subject: organ movements

HI
I am new to this forum. I have been practicing yoga on and off for the past 10 years, therefore, I consider myself a beginner. I have always practiced at home.

My question is has anyone experienced any organ movements during yoga practice. I often experience my liver or my center organs moving as I do standing bends. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this or anything similar?

Thanks
Livia
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-03-08 2:31 PM (#121794 - in reply to #121785)
Subject: Re: organ movements

Hello Livia,

Generally speaking, abdominal viscera are supported in their appropriate place. There is a layer or fold of tissue within the body called "mesentary" which secures organs to the inner body wall. I suppose if that were damaged then organs might move.

It is possible for there to be some micro-movement and that might be felt by a sensitive practitioner. They would move a bit as that which secures them would move. Hopefully not much :-)
vibes
Posted 2010-03-08 7:38 PM (#121799 - in reply to #121785)

Extreme Veteran

Organs move all the time. If they didnt you wouldnt be around for long. Some are more aware of them then others. If you turn your body left, stabilising the left side of the body, the liver moves left etc.
Cyndi
Posted 2010-03-08 11:49 PM (#121815 - in reply to #121799)

Expert Yogi

Oh yea Vibes...Organs need to be massaged and moved. The definition of dead is NO movement,

Posted 2010-03-09 1:56 PM (#121826 - in reply to #121815)

Epithelial tissue packs tightly together and forms continuous sheets that serve as linings in different parts of the body. Epithelial tissue lines your organs and helps to keep the body's organs separate, in place and protected.

Your organs are held firmly in place and any more than subtle movement would be disastrous, tearing connective tissue and blood vessels. (A good example is a ruptured spleen from the force of a traffic accident.)

Yes, your heart beats, your digestive system fills and empties, you process and expel liquid (your bladder fills and empties) and your lungs expand (from the diaphram muscle flexing, creating lower pressure in your lungs than the outside), pushing your abdominal organs down and out with each inhale and letting them return with each exhale, but your organs always stay firmly in place in relation to each other and firmly attached to the chest or abdominal cavity.

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-03-10 12:55 PM (#121839 - in reply to #121826)

Extreme Veteran

But organs move, when we move one pose to another then. May be very little (micro-movement, I appreciate what Gordon says), but a serious and a sensitive practitioner can experience this movement. Thanks....

Posted 2010-03-10 7:06 PM (#121845 - in reply to #121839)

Most of your organs can not move on their own; they only move when the cavity that encloses them moves. When your abdominal cavity moves, the organs inside move together, not separately.

Your liver is in your abdominal cavity. It does not move independently of your spleen or your pancreas or whatever. They all move together as you bend or twist (or breathe).

Generally, you can only feel your liver, spleen, pancreas, gall bladder, small intestine etc when there is significant injury or disease and even then the pain is often felt elsewhere or too generalized to be specifically one organ or the next. Just like your brain has no feeling, your organs have only very limited feeling. The human nervous system prioritizes what, from where and how strong the messages from different parts are. Your lips and finger tips have a huge amount of receptors. Other parts have few or none.

What one most likely feels in a forward bend is the weight of the combined internal organs, the entire contents of the abdominal cavity, pushing (due to gravity) on the diaphragm instead of the diaphragm pushing on those organs as when one is standing upright. You experience the feeling of weight on your diaphragm, not the organs that are causing that weight.

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-03-10 7:43 PM (#121846 - in reply to #121845)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, organs of abdominal cavity they all move together as we bend or twist. What happens during DUUIYANA BANDHA jimg?
Thanks

Edited by Yogacharyatonmoy 2010-03-10 7:45 PM

Posted 2010-03-10 8:47 PM (#121848 - in reply to #121846)

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with duuiyana bandha. Could you explain or is there another name?

Posted 2010-03-11 3:24 PM (#121862 - in reply to #121848)

If you mean Uddiyana Bandha, your abdominal muscles are pushing your organs in (back) and up as your diaphragm makes room for them. In other words, your abdominal cavity gets thinner, but longer and your chest cavity gets shorter to compensate.

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-03-11 4:03 PM (#121863 - in reply to #121862)

Extreme Veteran

Yes jimg, Uddiyana Bandha or abdominal lock, our abdominal muscles are pushing our organs inward and upward as our diaphragm makes room for them. That is why we need to exhale completely in this lock to bring the diaphragm up and to make the room for the abdominal organs to move up, before we pull the abdominal wall inside.
Thanks for our explanation....

vibes
Posted 2010-03-15 5:47 PM (#121924 - in reply to #121785)

Extreme Veteran

Also dont forget the skin is an organ. Just taping on this keyboard is moving it!
Almo99
Posted 2010-03-22 5:48 PM (#122081 - in reply to #121785)

I'm relatively new to yoga as well. I've have always felt like things might be moving around in there and never really new if they were or not. It's an odd sensation to get used to. Thanks for all the information I had been curious about this.

Namaste
Alice
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)