YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Men's Yoga shorts advice needed (women's input welcome)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

SoCal
Posted 2009-07-18 12:33 AM (#117035)
Subject: Men's Yoga shorts advice needed (women's input welcome)

So I've now been doing heated yoga classes 4-6 times a week for the past 2.5 months. I think its safe to say that I'm pretty much hooked.

I've been wearing any combination of shorts from running to board shorts and while some are fairly comfortable, I know there must be something better out there.

I'm especially dissatisfied with my shorts when doing tree stand as my foot tends to slip or slide down them a bit more than I'd like.

I want something practical, but I'd prefer not to look like "that guy" in the process either. After looking at different options online, my gut tells me that some of the tighter "snug fit" men's shorts may be the most ideal, all things considered.

Example:

My fear is that I don't want to look like that weird guy that shows up at the beach in a speedo.  Granted, I understand that I should not be mixing vanity in with my spiritual yoga practice, but its tough not to care a least a little bit.  I'm a single guy in my mid 30's and there happen to be quite a few attractive women that practice yoga. 

Ladies, what do you think?  Are these shorts a faux pas or am I safe?  For what it's worth, I consider myself to be fairly fit so I won't be flabbing out of the shorts in any way (in case that makes a difference).  

thanks in advance for your insight!  

Top of the page Bottom of the page
nucleareggset
Posted 2009-07-18 12:37 AM (#117036 - in reply to #117035)
Subject: Re: Men's Yoga shorts advice needed (women's input welcome)

different leg wear isn't the way to get your foot to stay up in tree.
proper alignment and actions will do it, regardless of the clothing you're wearing. (ok, I don't know if it'd be sufficient if you had well-oiled skin, but I suspect it would be.)
SoCal
Posted 2009-07-18 12:42 AM (#117037 - in reply to #117035)

thanks for the comment. I figured someone was gonna say that. I am actually able to maintain my leg in tree stand fairly easily, but getting it into comfortable position is sometimes a pain because of the loose fitting shorts.

so tree stand issue aside, how do you feel about the shorts that I posted nucleareggset?
monkeypicked
Posted 2009-07-18 1:45 AM (#117039 - in reply to #117035)

go with the straight leg speedo. Super comfortable, easy to wash in the shower and wring dry after class.

SoCal
Posted 2009-07-18 1:49 AM (#117040 - in reply to #117035)

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "straight leg speedo". Is it any different than what I posted above? If so, do you know where they are sold online by chance?

Posted 2009-07-18 2:04 AM (#117041 - in reply to #117035)

just get any kinda mid-thigh length spandex short.
are you the only guy in the class?
don't worry about looking like perv-otasana.
you think women care about their camel-toes in their spandex shorts?
break down the double standard
SoCal
Posted 2009-07-18 6:18 AM (#117042 - in reply to #117035)

I caved and bought the ones that I posted in the initial post. I'll let the board know how it goes...
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-07-18 6:28 AM (#117043 - in reply to #117035)

Veteran

As a lady I can tell you that the shorts you posted as an example are totally appropriate (in my opinion). Maybe even more so than loose board shorts as those kind of shorts can give the something-loose/something-hanging look that is not at all sexy! Hope the lady practitioners in your school find your new shorts hot! :-)

Posted 2009-07-18 4:11 PM (#117047 - in reply to #117035)

Those are TOTALLY appropriate. Ideal, in fact.

My favorite guideline for men's shorts is "nice and tight, nothing loose, nothing hanging," if you know what I mean...

Posted 2009-07-18 4:25 PM (#117048 - in reply to #117035)

just don't stand like the guy in the picture.
amyf
Posted 2009-07-18 11:59 PM (#117050 - in reply to #117035)

Veteran

this post CRACKS me up LOL ... when I buy a new outfit I like to stand w/ my back to the mirror and then bend over and look at my rear reflection. If I can be 'safe' in THAT pose ...... I'll be OK
SoCal
Posted 2009-07-19 2:04 AM (#117053 - in reply to #117047)

thedancingj - 2009-07-18 1:11 PM

Those are TOTALLY appropriate. Ideal, in fact.

My favorite guideline for men's shorts is "nice and tight, nothing loose, nothing hanging," if you know what I mean...

lol yeah, well I think that i've been a repeat offender breaking all three of your guidelines. thus the need for some new shorts...

Waterwatch
Posted 2009-07-20 2:45 PM (#117056 - in reply to #117035)

Check out Lululemon if you have one nearby. They sell a fitted short that's not superfitted. My husband wears them and he's very conscious of how he looks regarding his "package" at yoga! LOL I believe there is an additional "pocket" for the boys that keeps everything in check.

My husband wore loose shorts for a while and they just got in the way or pulled/restricted his legs when trying to do Triangle and Standing Sep. Leg. so I know what you're talking about.

Good luck in the search!

Barb

Andre
Posted 2009-07-20 7:57 PM (#117060 - in reply to #117035)

Extreme Veteran

It took me a while to get comfortable just taking my shirt off, much less shorter shorts. I finally found a pair of running shorts that was much less baggy than my hoops shorts but not fitting like a speedo. Though I couldn't wear it, SoCal... the image of the shorts you posted would be totally appropriate at any Bikrams studio I've practiced at.

Re: baggy shorts? This reminds me of something a teacher read during midpoint savasana. It was a Top 10 list of things teachers dislike or have to confront. One of them was baggy shorts/no underwear. I can totally "see" their point.

Posted 2009-07-21 12:18 AM (#117063 - in reply to #117056)

Waterwatch - 2009-07-20 11:45 AM
I believe there is an additional "pocket" for the boys that keeps everything in check.

No kidding?! Wow... I just unexpectedly learned something new!!

Posted 2009-07-21 1:39 PM (#117070 - in reply to #117035)

my husband buys the prana ono pant (it's women's). it looks really good on him, and he practiced in heat for the first 3 yrs of his yoga practice (baptiste style, so about 90 degrees f, but he sweats in the snow--high metabolism). he also wears a sleeveless top from nike.

he prefers to be covered (like me) because he is modest overall. so, he wears long pants and a shirt whether he's in a hot-hot class (104 was the hottest he's ever done--and he did that for 4 weeks), or in a hot class (90 degrees, 3 years), or in our regular classes (70-75 degrees f; 6 yrs and counting).

i remember teaching at a hot studio where the owner wanted me to wear short shorts and bra top--like a bikini. i mean, it could have been a bikini! and i don't even wear those to the beach. it's not because i don't have the body for it (that was her point as well), but that i'm modest, yk?

so anyway, she wanted me to wear a bikini because she thought it would be 'good marketing' for me and the studio to show the "hot bodies" of the teachers. What? no. blech.

the dress code at the collective where i work is bellies covered and mid-thigh shorts at least. practitioners tend to dress similarly.
StillOne
Posted 2009-07-21 1:54 PM (#117072 - in reply to #117035)
Subject: RE: Men's Yoga shorts advice needed (women's input welcome)

i wear a lululemon short called the response short. its material is very thin and flexible with a built in liner to keep "everything" in check and supported. its not a speedo style tightness, more like a regular athletic short. the material breathes well and it has sown in vents to keep you cool. i tried another short by them that the people at the store recommended but found that it was considerably hotter even though they said it would wick better (the material was much thicker). I just think wicking doesn't really matter when you're soaked anyway! if you don't want to go super tight i recommend these. i have found that they perform very well in all the postures. they do have a zipper that i decided to remove cause it was located in an awkward place. now i have 3 of these shorts. who knows, maybe eventually i'll want to use a longer legged speedo? for now these are great.
veggiepose
Posted 2009-07-21 6:05 PM (#117073 - in reply to #117035)

I always wore baggie shorts even after I lost a lot of weight. One day, a teacher told me that since I've become a real yogi, I had to get some proper shorts. She actually got me three pairs, I paid for them of course, but she ordered them. They're the ones with the little flame logo on the sides (the name escapes me). They only come in two sizes for men, small and medium but the mediums fit me fine. The navy seem to have a scoash more room than the black, but I like them really well. I wear the thigh length ones for a bit more modesty, but the short ones would be fine too.
rasbabagi
Posted 2009-07-22 1:45 AM (#117075 - in reply to #117035)

Bikram really is about how you look. Dude, wear anything you want and who cares what they think. I find the cotton/spandex hug fitting shorts the most comfortable, kind a like what you got pictures. It totally works with tree.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)