YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Training Moved to Vegas?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yoga-addict
Posted 2009-07-28 9:35 AM (#117217 - in reply to #117105)
Subject: Re: Training Moved to Vegas?

Veteran

sigh. I'm trying to put a good face on this but all I can see/think: no balonies, so drying laundry is going to be almost impossible. No grocery stores within a mile of the hotel. Big hotel that is going to take a long time to navigate to and from class/lectures/etc. Water that needs to be bought (I seriously doubt the hotel is providing bottled water at the kind of volume we will need it!). And now it just got a lot more expensive to start AND run a studio. great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-07-28 1:28 PM (#117225 - in reply to #117217)

OK, I will try to turn your complaints around!

1. There is a 24-hour laundromat 1 mile away.

2. There's a Trader Joe's 5 miles away and a Whole Foods on the strip 6 miles away. At the last training there were shuttles on the weekends, and I'm sure some nice locals at training will have cars and compassion!

3. They are building a temporary hot room just like at the previous training but it will be on the pool deck (I think that's the 3rd floor), so unlike the last training the navigation will be much shorter and more efficient (no need to walk presentably through the lobby!).

4. Trader Joe's delivers (water)(and food) -- you can stock up and not have to carry it!

5. YOU'LL COME OUT A TEACHER!

Andre
Posted 2009-07-28 1:36 PM (#117227 - in reply to #117105)

Extreme Veteran

Eh. It was bound to happen. Obviously, Bikram had no idea how successful it would be when he started this. So many critics of Bikram think it's already a franchise. At least this way, now they'll be right. They'll be wrong in other ways, of course. I think Bikram's methods work, not for all, but they work. And, his main intent is to follow his guru's initial instruction of bringing Yoga to the west. Again, his detractors will never seen that. But who cares?

I'll be curious to see how many studios might simply drop the name. If they're established, it really might not matter. It might even help. They can offer different classes and styles easier.
yogabrian
Posted 2009-07-28 4:15 PM (#117236 - in reply to #117105)

You know, I think it's kind of funny that Bikram is getting so much crap for finally franchising. After all Corepower yoga, Yoga Works and Sunstone yoga are all franchises. Each of them have nearly 20 studios under their wing. Sunstone has a copyrighted and trademarked yoga system and Corepower Yoga even is doing a "hot yoga" training of the 26 poses. No one is giving them hell.

I mean, I know that Bikram can be very..... straight about his yoga, but he DID kind of start the Hot Yoga thing. Doesn't he deserve to gain benefit of nearly 50 years of work?

If you don't like his rules, then do another yoga, there are tons of training to go to. True it does suck that in 5-10 years, if you are doing Bikram you will absolutely have do business with Bikram, but still it is your choice to do so or not.

As to water, I have no idea, Rajashree said that she hoped it would be part of deal, but was not sure. So I wouldn't quote me on that.

Posted 2009-07-28 4:26 PM (#117237 - in reply to #117105)

Brian - THANK YOU for saying all of that! Agree 110%.

hotlikebikramyoga (cute name) - Thank you, too! Nice perspective. And Nicole, she is extremely correct about the hotel layout. In Palm Springs, the yoga room was WICKED far away from the hotel rooms. It took like 10 minutes to get from one to the other, and the trainees had to go back and forth, back and forth, all day long... my friend said she felt like she was in a gerbil wheel all day. (Hehe.) The Vegas set-up sounds really nice.

And seriously, grocery shopping is MAYBE a once-a-week affair, and it doesn't sounds like it's gonna be much more time-consuming than it was in Palm Springs. Cheer up!

Posted 2009-07-28 5:42 PM (#117239 - in reply to #117237)

i feel the same way as brian does.

i think that franchising can be a great thing for business owners. for those who don't want to franchise, they don't have to. it's no big deal. they just won't be able to use the name 'bikram' or the sequence.

there are a number of studios around here who teach bikram style (heat, sequence and all) and call it "hot yoga." of course, i think that they should change the sequence a bit in order to avoid any disputes.

well, let me put that another way. If i were to run a bikram-like class but i didn't franchise (or what have you), out of respect to bikram, i would change the sequence slightly in some way so that it would be not bikram specifically. this is to keep bikram's thing as bikram and whatever i'm doing as whatever i'm doing.

but, if i wanted to do a franchise, it wouldn't be a big deal to me to pay the fees. that's part of it.

Posted 2009-07-28 6:10 PM (#117242 - in reply to #117105)

OK, so, as it turns out Trader Joe's does NOT deliver. BUT, don't worry, because...I have no idea, but it will be FINE!
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-07-28 7:08 PM (#117243 - in reply to #117105)

Regular

Vegas has monorail system now. It has a stop at the Hilton. Of course it is designed for tourists. (The whole bloody town is designed to extract money from gullible tourists.) But perhaps it can take the trainees to a Trader Joes or Whole Foods type of store.

http://www.lvmonorail.com/ride/station_guide/
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-07-28 9:46 PM (#117246 - in reply to #117105)

It's still in its early stages, but it looks to me like the franchise agreement could really slow the growth of new studios. For established studios who get inside the grace period, it's basically a 1% tax, which is no big deal. But for a new studio, without any established clientele, its an initial 10K, plus $1500 a month minimum. I'm not sure, but I would think that an extra $1500/month at the start is going to be pretty steep in many areas.

The studio here is doing really well in the beginning of its fourth year. But my best guess is that, if it had been under the franchise agreement from the start, it would have had a really bad time of it in its first year and maybe even the second year. I'm not sure if the difference would have been enough to break the studio, but its a little troubling to me.

I'm not opposed to the idea of franchising. To my way of thinking, the affiliation agreements that Bikram used before was a loose kind of franchising already. And I'm pretty confident that, as long as Bikram is at the head of things, the franchising will work to further the yoga, which is the main point. But after he goes, and after the vision goes with him, watch out. Lots of franchises have lost their standards after the founder left. When it happened to Wendy's, for example, I don't think that's such a big deal. But when the suits take over Bikram, it will be a very sad thing.

Posted 2009-07-29 12:09 AM (#117247 - in reply to #117243)

Did you see the rates on that thing?! Hell no, dude!

Posted 2009-07-29 12:53 AM (#117248 - in reply to #117105)

I tried to start a franchise topic but I guess everyone wants to talk about it here instead... hahahaha...

Carson: He does not need to go after every single studio that's ripping him off. What I think he WILL do is go after just a few of them but make a really big deal out of it. Make them an example, you know? He just needs to win a couple of high-profile cases to scare the crap out of the other people who were planning on trying the same tactic.

Duffy: First of all, I do not see $1500 anywhere. It's $1000/month for royalties, plus $100/month for technology fee, whatever that is. The $200 advertising fee is not in effect yet.

Anyway... just want to give a little perspective to these numbers. Opening a studio typically costs in the ballpark of 200K (according to my friend who opened a Bikram studio a couple years ago), so another 10K on top of that really should not make or break an operation.

As for the 5% royalty, yes, that is a lot more than the ZERO percent that we had before, but what the lawyers mentioned over and over in the meeting is that this is still priced well below "market value." Franchise royalties typically range from 5% to 12%, with an average of 8%. So this is still a really good deal, for a franchise, and Bikram fought his butt off to get it. The prices in Europe and Asia are probably going to be a lot higher, because they're going to have to price the franchise closer to market value there.

So yes, it's kind of tough, but it really is NOT a bad deal. Also, there are so many people who have been sitting on their investments for the last year, waiting to open studios, that I would expect to see a nice boom in studio openings. And the franchise is really going to try to support new studios with things like large advertising campaigns that individual studios could never afford to launch themselves. That's like half the reason it exists. Seriously. There's nothing these guys want to see more than NEW, GOOD studios. They are also getting set up to offer really nice low interest loans to people opening studios.... things like that.

As to your last point, Duffy... yeah, I share your fears there a bit!! But I don't think he'll ever be passing his vision on to suits. He has a whole generation of senior staff and teachers who will be carrying the torch for him eventually. Those are the people who will inherit the legacy. He's already, right now, doing a LOT of work to basically ensure that the Bikram Yoga Colleges and teacher trainings are self-sufficient without him. He actually said to us in July, "for 26 and 2, you guys don't need me anymore." Now, that breaks my heart a little bit, because we still WANT him!! And I don't think he plans to go anywhere for a long time yet. But he's been working on this thing for 51 years, and now he's finally started to say things like, "if I were hit by a bus tomorrow - it could happen! - I think you guys could keep everything going." It's not the end of his era YET, but he is planning for it, big time. I really really really really hope it works.
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-07-29 1:37 AM (#117249 - in reply to #117248)

Veteran

ok, I will stop grousing! I appreciate everyone's feedback on the change to las vegas.
I have nothing new to add to the franchising discussion.
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-07-29 1:46 AM (#117250 - in reply to #117105)

Veteran

I meant balconies of course, not balonies!
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-07-29 2:00 PM (#117256 - in reply to #117105)

Regular

"Did you see the rates on that thing?! Hell no, dude!"

haha.
yogabrian
Posted 2009-07-29 2:32 PM (#117257 - in reply to #117105)

Unless I was at the top of the franchise, I would never as a business owner be in a franchise. $1000 + whatever IS alot. Most studios really just barely make it. Even the super successful ones have problems in the beginning. Having super low overhead is key.

I personally would not do business with Bikram. It costs too much and too easy for Bikram to get mad at you. Looking at the package he is offering the only real thing that the franchise is offering is the right to use Bikram's name, his yoga style(officially) and being listed on his website. Bikram has also been talking about the loan thing for 20 years. I wouldn't hold my breath. Also I don't think I would want to owe Bikram money. He might show up on your door to collect. Lol!

Doesn't seem like a real good bang for your buck.

That is part of the reason I personally will never go to Bikram's training or become a Bikram studio. While I respect his right to do so, I am part of the community that will say, "no thank you". I also will follow Bikrams wishes and never hire a Bikram teacher to teach Bikram yoga at my place. I'll just train them to teach my yoga instead and then charge them a fee when they open their studio. ;-)
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-07-29 4:18 PM (#117259 - in reply to #117105)

I didn't break it down, but I was counting $1000/month as a franchise fee, $100/month technology fee, and $400/month for local advertising (which is required for new studios whether or not the advertising pool goes into effect). Depending on how you count it, that's anywhere from $1100 to $1700 per month (if the $200/month for pooled advertising starts). Compared with other rranchises, that may be cheap. I don't really know. Many other franchises have instant credibility. When a Starbucks opens up in a new neighborhood, it can probably expect to do pretty good business right off the bat. Word of mouth sells a yoga studio, and I think that's true even of a Bikram franchise. So, even if its a good deal, I'm willing to bet that there will have to be some adjustments/accomodations made for new studio owners.

I hope you are right about the senior instructors carrying the torch. Who will keep up the advanced series, I wonder?

Posted 2009-07-29 6:06 PM (#117262 - in reply to #117105)

Yeah, I actually don't know what's up with the $400/month in local advertising! They didn't mention that at seminar. I'm not sure if that will last. I know that in Boston they basically NEVER spent money on advertising because "our classes are all full already, we can't take any more people!" They operate almost totally on word of mouth.

Advanced series - YES, good question. It seems like Bikram is finally shifting his focus in that direction in a big way, now that he feels good about the status of the beginning series. He said at the advanced seminar that he plans to 1) hold advanced seminars 3 times a year, maybe in rotating locations 2) get the advanced series BOOK published in the next year, and 3) start holding TEACHER TRAININGS for the advanced series. (This is kinda huge. These things, especially the 2nd and 3rd ones, are things that he used to say he would NEVER consider doing!) It seems to me that he's trying to do for the advanced series what he did for the beginning series, which is a MUCH harder task given the material, but I think it's awesome...
yogabrian
Posted 2009-07-29 7:57 PM (#117263 - in reply to #117105)

Now advanced class certifications, I would be interested in that!

Posted 2009-07-29 10:07 PM (#117266 - in reply to #117105)

It's coming..........

So excited.

Course I still need to work on getting myself a regular certification... oops... priorities.
Roy Batty
Posted 2009-07-29 10:19 PM (#117267 - in reply to #117263)

Regular

yogabrian - 2009-07-29 7:57 PM

Now advanced class certifications, I would be interested in that!

I wonder if he means to "copyright" that sequence?

Jeez...
Andre
Posted 2009-07-29 11:28 PM (#117272 - in reply to #117105)

Extreme Veteran

I'm curious about taking the advanced series. Even though I still struggle on many of the beginning poses. I had thought at one time to got to Bikram TT. Not really interested anymore. If I was going that route I'd maybe to Barkan. (Not sure I'm spelling that right.) But the Advanced series? If I could actually take that with/from Bikram, I think that would be interesting.

Posted 2009-07-30 1:37 AM (#117275 - in reply to #117105)

oh man it's like a bad car accident...
its horrific, but for some reason i can't look away

Posted 2009-07-30 1:47 AM (#117281 - in reply to #117105)

DJ Dre - the advanced seminars are led by Bikram and open to everyone. The one I went to last month had plenty of students (i.e. not teachers) who had never been exposed to the advanced series before who had a GREAT time. Bikram wants to hold seminars three times a year, just needs to find locations for them... so you could definitely get your wish!! I really recommend it. Bikram was there teaching for the whole week, beginners and advanced every day - all the classes not taught by Bikram were taught by his wife Rajashree or his school principal Emmy - and I think everyone learned a LOT.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)