YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Buddhism
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

letrent
Posted 2008-07-18 12:58 PM (#109421)
Subject: Yoga and Buddhism

Hi Everyone! I've been reading here for a few weeks, but this is my first post.

Within the last three months I have beginning to really take part in Buddhist practices, such as meditation and mindfulness, and reading Buddhist texts, both Western interpretations and translations of original texts.

I have been a long-time Yoga practitioner as well, but within the same time period I have started to go more regularly to level II classes and take my home practice more seriously (by really doing the poses, as opposed to just making my body look like it is supposed to--maybe other longtime practitioners know what I mean )

At any rate, I am just looking for some general thoughts and ideas here. I have been using my yoga as a meditative and mindfulness practice. This has been extremely useful to me, and it has heightened my yoga as well. What I do as meditation is try to focus completely on my intention, ujiyah breathing, and my movement--I allow for thought, but when it occurs, I just gently bring myself back to the breathing and try to stay there without beating myself up if I don't. As for mindfulness, I've been trying to really feel what is happening in my body when I move--where do I feel heat? where do I feel laxness or tightness? Where am I not really committing to my movement? These kinds of questions have helped me to really be aware of what I am experiencing.

Anyway, I thought I would send this out there and see if anybody else is using yoga as a meditative or mindful practice specifically in the context of Buddhism or Buddhist philosophy. Anyone who has been doing this for years--are there any roadblocks here? Any places that you have found difficulties, contradictions, or an inability to integrate the two practices?

Thanks so much for your comments
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andre
Posted 2009-02-08 11:47 PM (#113487 - in reply to #109421)
Subject: Re: Yoga and Buddhism

Extreme Veteran

I found a seated Qi Gong practice that I feel is an extension of my Yoga. QiGong is sometimes called Chinese Yoga and has many of it's roots in Buddhism. I don't know all that much about how these things differ. I just know the series I do completments my asana practice well and because of my (Bikrams) asana practice I was able to find stillness, and that lead me to be able to actually meditate. So I guess I don't think any of the distinctions matter... if you can find peace and stillness.
Charan Saini
Posted 2009-03-11 7:43 PM (#114474 - in reply to #109421)

Hi,
I am a regular Hatha Yoga practioner and have now developed a beautiful buddhist meditation technique which I would like to share with you . During meditation sitting cross legged , my awareness is on opening my heart chakraas and realeasing the energy into my body....then saying a small prayer in my mind to all the the people I love and also to people I am no too keen on...try it its beautifule
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-02-03 1:01 AM (#211316 - in reply to #109421)

Veteran

Are the two have something in common?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)