YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach Kindness to Kids
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Ravi
Posted 2007-08-04 11:41 AM (#93475)
Subject: Teach Kindness to Kids

Teach Kindness to Kids

As adults, we must ask more of our children than they know how to ask of themselves. What we can do to foster their open-hearted hopefulness, engage their need to collaborate, be an incentive to utilize their natural competency and compassion...... show them ways they can connect, reach out, weave themselves into the web of relationships that is called community. - Dawna Markova

A friend of mine works with a group that tries to provide alternative avenues and models for children who have been in trouble with the law. I am always surprised by the distance between the kids she talks about and the anonymous 'juvenile delinquents' the newspapers are always warning us about. The twisted, amoral, little monsters of the morning paper turn into scared, wounded desperate children in my afternoon conversations with Sheila. When I commented this to her once, she told me that, contrary to what many parents may believe, children actually do pretty much what they are taught to do.
"These kids were just taught,' she explained, 'unfortunately by how they were treated, to see the world as a cruel and brutal fight for survival, and it has taken a terrible toll on their lives. All we try to do is show them by example, by how we act towards them and among ourselves, that it's not true, that there is a world out there of people willing to join hands and help one another.'"
So if you want to teach your children well, be a model of kindness and compassion. Treat them and their friends kindly. Let the example you set be one of understanding and generosity. Invite them to participate with you in finding new ways to inject more kindness into the world.
Make an investment in their future by showing them how to help bring about a gentler and more compassionate world.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-05-14 11:32 PM (#211495 - in reply to #93475)
Subject: Re: Teach Kindness to Kids

Veteran

As a parent this is the best thing to do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)