YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

neutral posture?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

yogi-boy
Posted 2007-05-11 10:17 PM (#86034)
Subject: neutral posture?

After a few months of doing pilates I finally got the "neutral pelvis" alignment thing right.

I was wondering, do I maintain that for all the exercises (curls,hundreds etc)?

Do I ever flatten my back against the ground doing these exercises?

I do several classes with different teachers yet they never emphasize this. One insisted I flatten my back, the other insisted I maintain a space throughout all exercises.

Which brings me to yoga, when doing a bridge, I was taught to flatten my back, which tilts my pelvis and lifts my tailbone in preparation for lifting each verterbrae off the floor.

What is the correct way, what are the benefits & detriments of either & is it really that important?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
belle vie
Posted 2007-05-13 10:23 AM (#86132 - in reply to #86034)
Subject: RE: neutral posture?

Veteran

Hello, yogiboy, I share your confusion . I have been doing pilates for about three years and have found that the dvds are too often not specific as to which posture you should be in. I know now after viewing several dvs that flat back is used for curlups , forward bends and the 100's for example. But the instruction is not always clear.Therefore, you do not keep neutral pelvis for every position. Sorry ,after you put in all that work to get it right ;-))

I am surprised that teachers in classes are not more helpful because an improper position can hurt the back.

There is a long post here on just this topic called "no arching at all?" It is under the pilates forum on page 2. That topic demonstrated that there is a lot of discussion around what is a "flat back". So, you are not alone .

As for yoga positions, I can be even less helpful. I hope the experts will wade in here and help you out

Good luck and if you find out would you tell me?
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-13 11:52 AM (#86138 - in reply to #86034)

I took a pilates workshop several years ago at a fitness conference with a well-known Stott Pilates teacher (so well known I've forgotten his name!). This same question was brought up in class, and this was the answer he gave: when either one or both feet are on the floor, there is space beneath the lower back. When neither leg is making contact with the floor, the lowback is pressed flat. I don't think this means that you press it so flat that the tailbone tilts up away from the floor, but just that there is firm contact. Hope that helps!
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-13 2:34 PM (#86152 - in reply to #86034)

Expert Yogi

In Pilates the term "imprinting the spine" is used quite often
While performing some of the specific Pilates routine movements (not talking about working with reformer), the spine should be passively pressed into your mat (for a mat practice). You are trying to reduce the natural lordosis of the lower spine to minimize strain or injury during active movement.
Hope that helps
yogi-boy
Posted 2007-05-13 7:03 PM (#86161 - in reply to #86152)

Thanks for the assistance, I do appreciate it.

I must admit I'm more befuddled, as I can see the logic for both:-

Imprinting: protects the back but it also hyperextends, encourages a flat back.
Neutral: challenging to the point of being impossible, but the "sanctity of the neutral spine is protected!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Posted 2007-05-13 9:55 PM (#86163 - in reply to #86034)

In Setu Bandha or "bridge" the pose is in the backbend genre.
In backbending action the spine is not neutral. Rather, the anterior spine is opening and lengthening.
The spine draws into the body; coccyx to pubis, sacrum to bottom of the belly, thoracic spine to heart (for this pose).

There is a difference between the origin of an action and a result of an action. In some cases this difference can be the difference between wholesome and unwholesome. In backbending action the spine should be uniform throughout. Keep in mind that in bridge this does not apply to the cervical segment of the spine but it does apply in Urdhva Dhanurasana or Wheel/Upward facing bow.

What you, the OP, do in your pose depends on what you are already doing or not doing. If in that pose you are overly mobile in the lower spine (lumbar) and not moving as freely in the thoracic then your work is to not work as hard in the lumbar spine and bring the breath and focus of movement into the thoracic. So a one size fits all instruction is not a good idea.

If by "flatten" you actually mean flatten then this is not the appropriate action for setu bandha. The lumbar is not flat it is flexed in integrity with the rest of the spine. the hip flexors should be lengthening and that would, for many people mean adjusting the pelvis but this action should not flatten the lumbar spine. It would however decrease the curvature (typically) of that spine segment.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-13 9:57 PM
belle vie
Posted 2007-05-14 11:51 AM (#86229 - in reply to #86034)

Veteran

Thanks to all from me too Your explanations make sense to me for the positions I practice in pilates.As for the bridge in yoga, I'm not there yet! But I do a bridge in pilates , is it similar to the yoga bridge and would the same advice apply? Thanks a lot
yogi-boy
Posted 2007-05-22 11:37 PM (#87045 - in reply to #86034)

Just an update:

I've spoken to over 30 (professional) people- and the general consensus is that they either don't understand the difference between a flat back or a neutral spine or they don't truly know the actual answer (like me!)! I am actually no wiser.

My final conclusion is that neutral spine is best for pelvic alignment (even when lifting the legs off the floor). I think that if you lose that neautral pelvic alignment with the more challenging poses then you shouldn't progress that far so soon.

many thanks for your assistance with this question!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)