YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sarvangasana & Bakasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

Sunnybird
Posted 2006-09-12 6:19 PM (#64330)
Subject: Sarvangasana & Bakasana

I have some questions about these two asanas: -

Sarvangasana - I find that when I do this pose, I always let out a lot of wind...hee hee. Just wondering if this is normal?!? Also, is it good to practise this pose everyday or is this a bit too much pressure for the shoulders and neck to be practised on a daily basis?!

Bakasana - Whoah, this is such a hard pose!!! Does anyone have any tips about how I can get into it without injuring my hands and wrists?! I know at the beginning it will be difficult and I have to get the balance by resting on the tips of my feet first before I attempt to raise my legs off the ground. I am just wondering how long this will take. I have been practising and each time I try to lift my behind and feet off the floor, it just doesn't happen! I really feel like I don't have the strength to lift my body up with my arms. Would this pose be any easier if I took up some strength training to build some muscle at all?!

sb
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ollie
Posted 2006-09-12 9:08 PM (#64337 - in reply to #64330)
Subject: RE: Sarvangasana & Bakasana

Personally, I try to sarvangasana every day, but listen to your body. Well, I didn't intend that pun.

I don't know why you'd be more gassy in this pose than the others; as for me I have to watch those leg lifts.

As far as bakasana: how about trying kakasana first? I like Iyengar's "beginners" way where you get into Garland (malasana; or a deep squat with your feet together), then put your hands on the floor with your elbows out sideways and just under your knees, get your knees onto your upper arms, lean forward and raise up on your toes
tourist
Posted 2006-09-12 10:14 PM (#64341 - in reply to #64337)

Expert Yogi

Shoulderstand daily - but do get someone to check your alignment, especially to see that you don't have too much weight over your head. My son was having trouble with this while he was a away and practicing alone. He just had his hips too far over his head. One second adjustment

Posted 2006-09-13 1:19 AM (#64353 - in reply to #64330)

So your Sarvangasana has turned into a bit of a SaravanGASana?
The pose, along with Sirsasana and Savasana are the three most important asanas (according to one popular chap in India). Sure do the pose daily. Since you are in the beginnings of your practice I hope you are doing the pose at the wall with enough propping under your collarbone to preserve the cervical curve.

If that last bit made no sense to you it might be good to get some instruction for this. It's not one that can be easily transmitted over the web.

As for Bakasana I used to do it when I was practicing and teaching in the method of another popular chap wearing a do-rag on his crown chakra.

Now that I've welcomed a more Aurobindian practice (Purna) bakasana isn't really a part of my practice. Oh sure once in a while I'll work on the pose but I can get many of the benefits from Adho Mukha Vrksasana (handstand). So I dont' have tips. That pose dos demand a certain amount of abdominal and upper body strength. It's mostly balance but after that it demeands these things. Any safe poses that work your upper body strength would contribute.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-13 10:11 AM (#64379 - in reply to #64353)

Expert Yogi

SarvanGASana? Good one purna!!

I consider bakasana a bit of a party trick pose - fun to do but not foundational or key to do daily.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-09-13 10:20 AM (#64382 - in reply to #64330)

I love both of those postures.

I think to get comfortable with them you need 3 things yoga refines: strength and balance and flexibility

You also have to use bandhas a fair bit as well.

I think with bakasana wrist flexibility comes bit by bit, through practice. They won't hurt forever.

How long will it take to do bakasana? Anything between 1 day and 100 years. It's different for everyone.

Shoulderstand is good to practice everyday, but no inversions if you have your period, or at least during the first 3 days.

Sunnybird
Posted 2006-09-13 4:52 PM (#64397 - in reply to #64330)

'SarvanGASana' - hee hee, good one Purna!! So is it normal to have so much wind and gas whilst doing this pose?!

DownwardDog - how long did it take u to do Bakasana?!

sb
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-09-13 5:26 PM (#64400 - in reply to #64330)

I could always do Bakasana. It's just one of those things, same as Bhuja Pindasana - there are things that your body just allows you to do, and then other postures are much more difficult.

It took me a whole year to not wobble away dangerously in headstand for example. I know that a lot of people can do the posture in a few weeks.

The best thing to do is to never expect anything. Keep practicing and allow things to fall into place on their own, however long that takes

ollie
Posted 2006-09-13 5:48 PM (#64402 - in reply to #64379)

tourist - 2006-09-13 9:11 AM

SarvanGASana? Good one purna!!

I consider bakasana a bit of a party trick pose - fun to do but not foundational or key to do daily.

I find that bakasana (or kakasana) really opens my hips; there is nothing like good old gravity to assist in that.
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-09-13 6:55 PM (#64406 - in reply to #64330)

Lucky you DownwardDog!! I'll keep at it for sure!

sb
joscmt
Posted 2006-09-14 12:23 AM (#64417 - in reply to #64330)

I tip over every time I try bakasana- I've learned to put a pillow in front of me. Through my lesson with zoebird- I learned that 1. I don't trust myself 2. My center of gravity is off. I am relying way too much on my arms and not enough on my core- my hips are moving forward in the pose rather than upward....
I feel your pain sb!
tourist
Posted 2006-09-14 10:22 AM (#64434 - in reply to #64417)

Expert Yogi

jo - a lot of people lift the hips too high which makes you fall over. The toes just barely come off the floor. Hope that is helpful
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-09-14 2:46 PM (#64448 - in reply to #64417)

joscmt - 2006-09-14 12:23 AM

I tip over every time I try bakasana- I've learned to put a pillow in front of me. Through my lesson with zoebird- I learned that 1. I don't trust myself 2. My center of gravity is off. I am relying way too much on my arms and not enough on my core- my hips are moving forward in the pose rather than upward....
I feel your pain sb!

Jo - pillow sounds like a great idea!! Will try that tomorrow in my practice. Thats one of the things I was terrified of doing is falling forward flat on my face which I have nearly done so many times...LOL. Maybe my centre of gravity is off too. How do I make sure that I don't put too much focus on lifting from my arms?! Its all so confusing!!!!!!!

sb
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-09-14 4:15 PM (#64456 - in reply to #64330)

There's nothoing wrong with a face plant

They make for some giggles and smiles - they don't actually hurt badly, its more of a bump.

joscmt
Posted 2006-09-14 6:26 PM (#64461 - in reply to #64330)

sb- I'm going to let the others chime in on that one- seeing as how I fall flat on my face each time.. BUT, it does make for some good laughin'.....I love a good belly laugh mid-practice... gets me going. From what I understand is that you need to pull up from the abdomen.. much in the same way as Lolasana (which, BTW, I can't do either) .. But I keep trying. make sure it's a cushy pillow LOL
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-09-14 7:40 PM (#64465 - in reply to #64330)

Jo - I'll make doubly sure its a cushy pillow until I actually get the hang of how to do it!! How long have you been practicing it?
Btw, Whats Lolasana? How does that go?!

sb
joscmt
Posted 2006-09-14 9:42 PM (#64473 - in reply to #64330)

type it into google.com and go to images- it's a great way to see pics of the different poses! I use it a lot.
Lolasana is the one where you sit cross-legged on the floor and then lift your lower body up off the floor (which, again, I can't do yet) and squeeze your knees into your chest..
tourist
Posted 2006-09-15 12:03 AM (#64484 - in reply to #64473)

Expert Yogi

OMG - there are a lot of seriously NON-lolasanas on the Google images. Actually, it is the one with the shins crossed. In padmasana is tolasana.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-09-15 7:21 AM (#64490 - in reply to #64330)

The very best site IMHO is :

http://ashtangayoga.info/index.html

also used by Mr Thornley - I have to say it has the best pictures and really is useful.

Bakasana: http://ashtangayoga.info/asana-vinyasa/primary-series/21e-Supta-Kurmasana-Vinyasa-out.html

Salamba Sarvangasana:
http://ashtangayoga.info/asana-vinyasa/finishing-positions/01b-Salamba-Sarvangasana.html

Edited by DownwardDog 2006-09-15 7:23 AM
meixinthai
Posted 2006-10-20 10:13 AM (#67669 - in reply to #64417)

Yeah.. I just fell down today during my lesson in yoga centre. I was too hunger to get into that posture without doing the right preparation first. I just remember to lift my hip up, and maybe because of that, i lifted too high, and i quickly lift my legs one by one.. i tried to hold longer, but within 5 seconds, i fell forward.. Luckily i did not hurt my wrist or neck..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)