YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Very confused with Doshas?????
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2006-08-29 10:31 AM (#63112)
Subject: Very confused with Doshas?????

Expert Yogi

I am a dominant Pitta but am equal in Vatta and Kapha. How do I work with this so I can balance myself out?

Mish
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-08-29 11:49 AM (#63127 - in reply to #63112)
Subject: RE: Very confused with Doshas?

Dear Mishy:
It is important to know that the Dosha (which itself is equivalent of Imbalance) results from three things only:

a) Inborn Tendency b) Current Environment c) Current habits (Current meaning in the current life).

Inborn Tendency can be overcome only by meditation practice. Current environment can be changed by either opposing it or by skipping it. (If there is an obstacle, you can destroy it or avoid it. The second method is preferable for average Yoga student.) And current habits can be changed by acquiring knowledge and developing proper habits, what is called Yama/Niyama.

The last two must be addressed first. And, only later the first one should be addressed.

It is important to know that all Doshas have mental and physical sides. Physical side can be easily addressed by taking correct diet. Mental side needs meditative practice.

Lastly, it is misleading to cancel the Doshas by introducing another Dosha as done in most therapies. For example, when Pitta is predominent, introduction of Kapha helps, but only in symptomatic way. Real way to remove Doshas or bring them about in balance is to : Correct the habits and let the withdrawl symptoms disappear.

Best luck.
mishoga
Posted 2006-08-29 3:05 PM (#63155 - in reply to #63112)
Subject: RE: Very confused with Doshas?????

Expert Yogi

Thanks Neel. I am working on all that I have the ability to change for the better.
It's nice to have you back. I did Mish you

Mishy

Posted 2006-08-29 3:09 PM (#63158 - in reply to #63112)

one of the 'funny' problems that i run into about dosha is how it is sometimes described. in one school of thought, they'll say which dosha needs to be balanced out. in another school of thought, they'll tell you which dosha you're balancing with. So, you could be told "you're a pitta" in the sense that you need to work out your vata and kapha doshas (to be balanced); or, that same could mean "you need to balance your pitta more" meaning you need to work on pitta.

in the languages of the region--in most of the asian languages--the emphatic elements of the language would indicate which is meant. it's much more difficult to do in english.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-29 3:39 PM (#63167 - in reply to #63112)

When I learned about doshas it seems a lot like predetermination, but knowing what you are and accepting it will help in how you approach certain foods, activities, relationships......

I don't eat spicy food, it makes me hiccup too much....but when I was younger this was a form of machismo that was simply unavoidable during periods of self-determination and dynamic grouping that took place in my youth.

My first real teacher says that the a'Merican lifestyle will throw people out of balance with too much pitta, and kapha.

The news right before bedtime is not such a good idea.
Overly sensuous foods and arousing media don't always help with a good nights sleep--especially if one were to take it all in while sitting on the couch........

Posted 2006-08-29 3:44 PM (#63170 - in reply to #63112)

sensuous foods and arousing media. . .

that explains all those kids.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-29 3:55 PM (#63176 - in reply to #63170)

zoebird - 2006-08-29 3:44 PM

sensuous foods and arousing media. . .

that explains all those kids.

Hey
GreenJello
Posted 2006-08-29 4:02 PM (#63180 - in reply to #63167)
Subject: RE: Very confused with Doshas?

SCThornley - 2006-08-29 3:39 PM
The news right before bedtime is not such a good idea.

The news media is rarely a useful thing. Often times their information is wrong, and even when it's right, all to often it falls into the so and so had tragedy X happen to them. After a while you begin to think that everybody's house is burning down right after being shot by crack dealers who also stole their car, while raping their teenage daughter. Ugh! National news is better, but the local stuff is usually pretty dreadful.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-29 4:07 PM (#63184 - in reply to #63112)

yep

that's what I meant.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)