YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

eggs
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

anna c
Posted 2006-08-03 9:40 AM (#60884)
Subject: eggs

i was wondering why the ancient yogis recommend not to eat eggs. i have recently become a vegan, i can see the point in not eating eggs coming from industrially raised chickens, but what about eggs from chickens from my people who let their chickens run around free in the garden? why are eggs consider rajic? what if i eat only the egg white?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-03 10:03 AM (#60887 - in reply to #60884)
Subject: RE: eggs

originally, most eggs were fertilized eggs which would classify them as meat.

gandhi wrote that unfertilized eggs would be 'ok' even though they may still be rajasic from another perspective.

i eat unfertilized, pasture-raised chicken and duck eggs myself.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-03 10:57 AM (#60896 - in reply to #60884)

do you eat Quinoa?

I do believe it is a complete protein.

anna c
Posted 2006-08-03 11:11 AM (#60900 - in reply to #60884)

thank you for the gandhi statement.

and yes, i do eat quinoa, got the grain and the flakes and the milk, i know it's the cereal with the highest proteine level. i also eat plenty of brown rice and lentles and nuts and seeds etc etc, but i have some vanity concerns I'm afraid to gain weight, switching from a low-carb diet with plenty of poultry and fish to a diet with plenty of grains/carbs... plus making an egg white omelette takes less time than the other options when you come home in the evening after working out and want to eat desperately
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-03 11:16 AM (#60903 - in reply to #60884)

the transition may take a long time to fully commit to the vegan choice.

i eat anything, actually.

but I eat a lot of whole grains, quinoa is one of them.

Flaxseed is also a healthy, oily food that you could add to your diet.
buy it whole, refrigerate it, and grind it right before you eat it. flaxseed is wonderful with a little honey on oatmeal.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-03 11:55 AM (#60908 - in reply to #60900)

Expert Yogi

Uhh - vegans don't eat eggs. Lacto-ovo vegetarians do, though.

Posted 2006-08-03 1:51 PM (#60917 - in reply to #60884)

and an egg-white omellette is actually quite useless to the body. the body is really only able to utilize the nutrients in the egg white when consumed with the yolk. it is actually the yolk which has the most nutrients.

and, here are a few definitions for you:

omnivore--anyone who eats anything from the body of an animal.

vegetarian--anyone who does not consume anything from the body of an animal, but may consume those animal's by-products.

ovo-vegetarian--a vegetarian who eats eggs, but not dairy.

lacto-vegetarian--a vegetarian who eats dairy, but not eggs.

mello-vegetarian--a vegetarian who eats honey, but not dairy and eggs.

strict vegetarian--a vegetarian who does not eat products or byproducts from animals

vegan--a strict vegetarian who also eschews animal products in clothing, beauty and related consumer items, and as many aspects of life as possible (such as avoiding zoos and other forms of entertainment that includes animals).

I was a vegan for a time, but due to health reasons was unable to sustain it. it can be a sustainable diet for others, though. My case is rare. I am now ovo-lacto, soy free, and i still eschew animal products in my lifestyle (such as leather shoes, etc).

I find it's simple enough. I do not eat a lot of carbs myself. I do eat sprouted beans, nuts, and seeds. If you're inclusive of eggs and dairy, you do not really need to worry about protien. I do eat whole grains that have been soaked in buttermilk, and i do occassionally eat sprouted grain breads. The predominence of my diet is raw and cooked vegetables.

I do utilize a lot of raw food recipes. I like them a great deal and find them easy to make as well as delicious.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-08-03 6:32 PM (#60937 - in reply to #60917)

zoebird - 2006-08-03 1:51 PM

omnivore--anyone who eats anything from the body of an animal.

Actually I disagree with this definition. Most people will NOT eat anything from the body of the animal. I WILL, which is part of the reason why I'm proud to be an omnivore. If we're gonna kill them, we should make the most of it.
samantha77
Posted 2006-08-03 7:18 PM (#60949 - in reply to #60884)

Extreme Veteran

I have been a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, although I'm not able to eat eggs in when they're not baked into something.  If I eat an omlette, hard boiled egg, etc. it upsets my stomach.  I have been using them in baking but I would like to stop using eggs altogether.  Can anyone suggest a substitute?  I've never tried those egg replacers I've seen in the super market because I am a little suspicious of them.  My stomach is a little sensitive

Samantha

tourist
Posted 2006-08-03 7:40 PM (#60952 - in reply to #60937)

Expert Yogi

GJ - this is a question of how you read what was written, I think, My guess is ZB meant that a person might eat any part, even just one part of an animal - like "just" chicken breast - not that they would eat everything. But your read is funnier
Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-04 7:05 AM (#60973 - in reply to #60952)

Expert Yogi

Every once in a while I get a craving for a country style breakfast. It includes, but not limited to, eggs over medium, homemade pork sausage - you haven't lived until you've had Wild Boar Sausage, toast and buttered grits. This is a Saturday breakfast combo, where you eat around 10am, your completely full all day long, then you have a light dinner of Sphaghetti and salad later on in the day.

I get my eggs from a local farmer here in the mountains. They are beautiful brown eggs with one pastel green placed in the dozen just to add color and for fun. We also get duck eggs. The lady I get them from couldn't believe I wanted them since hardly anyone eats them in our area. Actually, Duck eggs are cooling and should be eaten mostly in the summer months...whereas Chicken eggs are warming. Just so you'd know, little tid bit of information to throw in here,

Posted 2006-08-04 7:19 AM (#60978 - in reply to #60937)

gj:

true. some omnivores only eat one aspect of an animal--such as cod liver oil or bone broth. but, eating anything from the body of an animal, whether it is 'just fish' or bone broth or fish oil pills, immediately takes one out of the 'vegetarian' category and puts them into the 'omnivorous diet' category. hence, the definition.
anna c
Posted 2006-08-04 7:20 AM (#60979 - in reply to #60884)

thank you all for your replies and for all those definitions.

actually, it's funny, in the hours after having posted this post and a similar one elsewhere i have suddenly developed a disgust with eggs and no longer feel like eating them...

i am clearly not a vegan yet, as i still have leather shoes and a leather belt and am not sure yet if I will be able to refrain from chocolate and an occasional pancake... but apart from that, i think i'm almost there. but it's been a long, slow and mostly unconscious process:

- 20 years ago (i'm 42) i gave up red meat and deep-fried food and junk food, just because i felt better without it.

- i started reading about vegetarianism and ayurveda and 2 years later i gave up all other meat too but kept on eating fish and dairy, because according to ayurveda i am a vata and of all types vata allegedely is the one that needs animal protein most, which is also confirmed by the blood group diet, i have type O, which allegedly is the blood type of the "hunters" and carnivores...

- a few years later i stopped eating white flour and sugar and other refined products (so i haven't eaten cakes or biscuits or pasta in years, not because of the eggs, but because of the sugar and the flour. just was never able to give up chocolate and pancakes :-))

- gradually over the years i read more about healthy food and removed most processed food and added some grains and seeds

- somewhere along the road i agve up alcohol and drugs, cuz the hangovers became bigger and bigger and buzz and the highs were just not worth it anymore...

- a year ago i gave up all dairy , not because i was thinking of becoming vegan, but i suddenly developed a huge dairy allergy (causing unbelievable fatigue and brain fog, i consider dairy as a real poison now, it's easy to stay away from it). as i do plenty of sports, i worried about protein and re-added poultry to my diet;

- then finally last month totally out of the blue i felt a tremendous disgust for my poultry and my fish, i kept on thinking about the animals and their suffering, it was no longer a mental concept but an overwhelming emotional feeling... impossible to keep on eating it.

so that's my story. i now actually think that maybe the alcohol intolerance and the dairy allergy and the sudden disgust for poultry and fish are the automatic result from a gradual conscious-growing process, probably facilitated by my 15-year hatha yoga practise...

Edited by anna c 2006-08-04 7:25 AM

Posted 2006-08-04 7:23 AM (#60981 - in reply to #60949)

samantha:

ener-G egg replacer is a good option. it is some pretty basic ingredients. i used all of mine finally, or i would give you the list. it was pretty basic. You can also make your own. If you look online for vegan egg replacer recipes, you'll get a lot of hits.

Posted 2006-08-04 7:31 AM (#60983 - in reply to #60979)

anna:

it is good to eat as you feel comfortable and healthy eating.

from a vegan perspective, wearing-out an old pair of leather shoes and a belt (or any other thing made from an animal like silks or wool) is not considered problematic. living the 'vegan lifestyle' involves no longer purchasing these products once you decide to go vegan--but not necessarily tossing and replacing what you have that works for you. when i started on veg*nism 7-8 years ago, i stopped buying these things. I still have leather dress shoes that i wear for weddings, a leather belt--even a leather jacket that is 16 yrs old.

for the dietary stuff, i make sourdough pancakes from sprouted grains; buy whole-grain sprouted pasta and eat it occassionally; and i have cakes from good 'old school' recipes. there are good grains out there that can be used to make these things--but they need to be sprouted, soaked, and then ground. I buy them 'pre-done' for me at the HFS fridge section--but i'm learning how to make my own.

raw dairy is very healthy; pasturized dairy is what is problematic. i'm not trying to steer you back to dairy, but the difference is discernable. when i have pastuirzed dairy, i have all sorts of digestive issues. when i have raw dairy, no digestive issues and it actually improves! right now, we buy most of our raw dairy, but i'm hoping to learn to make my own kefir, yogurt, and cheese in the coming years from raw milk.

but the main thing, as always, is to listen to your body.

also, vegans need to take a b12 supplement. a sublingual tablet of methylcobalamin is a good choice.
anna c
Posted 2006-08-04 7:48 AM (#60985 - in reply to #60884)

thanks for all those ideas. can't wait to try and make vegan pancakes for me and my boyfriend.

as for the dairy, i actually had a blood test done which showed a gigantic allergy against yoghurt, milk proteins and cheese proteins, from cows, sheep AND goat. and when i was 3-weeks old, i almost died because i could not digest my mom's milk. so apparently dairy intolerance in some cases is linked to a personal in-born allergy, but i do totally believe what you say that if one doesn't have an allergy raw dairy from nicely treated animals is much better tahn what's for sale in the supermarkets.

Edited by anna c 2006-08-04 7:48 AM

Posted 2006-08-04 7:55 AM (#60987 - in reply to #60884)

it's true that some people do have allergies. Have you heard of poi? check out tarodream.com or tarodreams.com. it's like yogurt in consistancy and texture. and very healthy.
anna c
Posted 2006-08-04 9:04 AM (#60992 - in reply to #60884)

had never heard of poi... will check it out if i can find it

Edited by anna c 2006-08-04 9:06 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)