YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hey everybody :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

nAmAsTe_beauty
Posted 2006-07-31 1:22 AM (#60450)
Subject: hey everybody :)

hey guys im haley and im new to the forum. i have been practicing yoga on and off since i was 11. i am 16 now. and i have been serious about it for about a year now. i am a bit overweight and im working towards losing about 50s pounds. i have been doing pilates in addition to my yoga. i take in about 1200 calories when i dont cheat ( stil trying to get my mind and body in balance with each other) and im losing. but i want to feel better and lighter. can you guys suggest any particular yoga moves that will help me with my mind body disconnection? i also was wondering if you guys had any food tips. craving cures, or ways to prevent them. thanks a bunch.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-31 9:38 AM (#60484 - in reply to #60450)
Subject: RE: hey everybody :)

you could search my posts but I'll try and sum it up

for food--go natural as possible--if it comes out of a box or a bag don't eat it
if it has any kind of syrup or hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated stuff in it-just say no
white sugar and white flour are bad

seeds are good--especially sunflower and pumpkin

white rice bad, brown rice is better

If it is processed, then you stay away from it--examples of processed include soda and white bread, candy bars or any meal supplement or energy bar

What to drink?---Water-cool filtered clean water. If you drink milk, and like it, fine, but there is a lot of sugar in milk.

So, reduce or eliminate processed foods and sugar. Go whole grains and seeds--not whole grain bread, I mean whole grains from the health food store.

Quinoa (KEEN-WAH) is a whole protein-learn how to cook and eat it.
Flaxseed--it's really good. Buy it whole, store it in the frigerator and grind it in a whirly blade coffee grinder right before you use it.

NOW, Exercise--do something everyday, and don't hurt yourself.

Get educated on what foods work for you.

Box Crackers are bad.
chips bad
pretzels bad

pretty much all snack type foods are bad

Zoebird has some really great, good tasting recipes. I'm much more spartan.
Good Luck.
Stay healthy.

Have a cup of warm tea to curb your cravings, then brush your teeth.
Once your teeth are clean it's easier to resist the urge to splurge.

Find a good Yoga teacher, if you can.

Posted 2006-07-31 10:02 AM (#60486 - in reply to #60450)

also, you need more than 1200 calories a day. you have to remember that you're large framed, growing still (even if not is height, etc, women's bodies develop until they're about 25 or so so your body is still 'growing' technically and needs nutrition), and if you have increased movement or activity as well as changing diet, you need not only enough calories for your metabolic rate (which on average is about 1000-1300 calories), but also to cover ANY activity such as standing, walking, thinking, typing, driving, reading, doing yoga, (anything that requires you to be awake, basicly) etc.

So, a good diet for you, caloricly, would be something between 1600 and 2000 calories per day AT LEAST. This diet should be 20-30% fats, 20-30% protien, and 40-50% carbohydrates (majority being vegetables, then fruits, and then starchy vegetables, grains, and legumes).

as SC said, you want things as fresh and whole as possible--limit what comes from boxes, what is frozen or canned, etc. avoid things with preservatives and chemical dyes and flavorings. Learn to prepare and enjoy foods! and above all, listen to your body! eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied.

all the best!
nAmAsTe_beauty
Posted 2006-07-31 10:29 PM (#60603 - in reply to #60450)

thanks so much you guys! yes, i try to eat as organic as possible. my parents have been trying harder too. but they buy alot of chips and ice cream ( my weakness) and things of that nature. im really inspired now. and im gonna try harder. my mom uses quinoa ( whoa spelling) and flaxseed,. but i rarely use it. i think ill start using it more. and eating more natural. thanks so much
Nick
Posted 2006-08-01 2:54 AM (#60621 - in reply to #60603)

Hi namaste,
i agree with the other two-it's perfectly natural for a woman of your age to have a little more body fat-just stay eating well, and exercising in lots of different ways, make eating and exercising fun, and then you have a blueprint for lifelong health, or at least you have done everything humanly possible. In other words, try not to concentrate on losing weight, but on feeling good-it gives us a more healthy body mind perspective-just my humble opinion, dont want to sound like an old fogey (definitely heading that way )
Nick
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-01 8:47 AM (#60645 - in reply to #60450)

Hi Namaste, congratulations on wanting to take good care of yourself, don't forget to thank yourself, happy journeys. Shelly
tourist
Posted 2006-08-01 10:16 AM (#60668 - in reply to #60645)

Expert Yogi

Haley - if you can get your parents to buy a flavour of ice cream or chips that don't appeal to you, that might help. That's one of my little strategies Strawberry ice cream and bbq chips - no problem! They may call to me but I never feel tempted to answer
UpwardCat
Posted 2006-08-06 7:38 PM (#61161 - in reply to #60450)

Love the name you chose. Rather than getting hung up on what you eat, try sitting less and moving more. Until very recently, humans had to walk & work; now we have to schedule time to use our bodies, and it's not always easy to find room to move. Try packing a bag with a water bottle and your journal or camera or sketchpad or yoga mat, whatever you need, and strike out for somewhere unknown every day. You might have to walk a long time to find it. That's good. You'll make your world bigger and find out what those muscles are for.
yogagirl
Posted 2006-08-11 3:19 PM (#61509 - in reply to #60603)

nAmAsTe_beauty - 2006-07-31 9:29 PM

thanks so much you guys! yes, i try to eat as organic as possible. my parents have been trying harder too. but they buy alot of chips and ice cream ( my weakness) and things of that nature. im really inspired now. and im gonna try harder. my mom uses quinoa ( whoa spelling) and flaxseed,. but i rarely use it. i think ill start using it more. and eating more natural. thanks so much

wow kool
welcome

ohh i no what u can do

are u in any sports ??? I NO join some softball soccer track
or run at home with ur friends dance in your room (it's very fun to do that )

and i don't think u need to lose 50 lbs that 's to much
in the picture u look really pretty and u don't look that big to be wanting to lose that much weight
redrox
Posted 2006-08-17 1:29 PM (#61931 - in reply to #60450)

nAmAsTe_beauty - 2006-07-30 11:22 PM

hey guys im haley and im new to the forum. i have been practicing yoga on and off since i was 11. i am 16 now. and i have been serious about it for about a year now. i am a bit overweight and im working towards losing about 50s pounds. i have been doing pilates in addition to my yoga. i take in about 1200 calories when i dont cheat ( stil trying to get my mind and body in balance with each other) and im losing. but i want to feel better and lighter. can you guys suggest any particular yoga moves that will help me with my mind body disconnection? i also was wondering if you guys had any food tips. craving cures, or ways to prevent them. thanks a bunch.

How did you arrive at the 1200 calorie number? That is often considered the bare minimum for a grown woman. Also be aware that as a teenager, you have somewhat different dietary requirements for a growing body than for someone who is older and whose body has reached full adulthood. At 1200 calories, you may in fact be working against your desire for weightloss by not giving your body enough adequate energy to run at full efficiency and it may be trying to "hold on" to those extra calories as it compensates for a lack of adequate energy. I like this site, http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm for trying to figure out an appropriate caloric level for weight loss. Read the whole page underneath the calculator section as well. The larger we are and the more active we are, the more calories we need just to sustain ourselves. The key is not targeting an overall caloric level, but finding a caloric differential of intake vs output that allows you to slowly lose weight over time. General nutritional guidelines suggest a differential of 500-100 calories a day will produce a 1-2 lb. fat loss per week (on average) over time. That's the theory anyway!

Just a few other thoughts on your post as well.

1. Try to avoid using the word "cheat". Approach all foods as choices. The goal should be to make more good choices than less than optimum choices and keep trying to increase that ratio of good to not so good. If you choose a "treat", enjoy it! But do it from a place of mindfulness to put it in more yogic terminology. Don't create a guilt cycle with your food and don't assume that "perfection" is necessary. Consistency and longevity count for far more in terms of overall successful weight loss and management than perfection does, IMO.

2. Craving cures. Can you explain this a bit? I separate cravings into two categories, physical and mental/emotional. You can in fact create your own physical hunger pangs based on what you eat. Do some research on glycemic index values of foods and you will find that foods/carbohydrates that we digest quickly create a biochemical response process in our bodies that can actually make us hungrier than we would be had we chosen foods lower in overall gylcemic impact. One of the most common examples of this that has become embedded in the humor of our culture is chinese food. Lots of high sugar sauces thickened with cornstarch. The joke is that you have a big chinese dinner and you're still hungry an hour or two later. No joke, but humor based in reality. It's like trying to make a fire with pine vs. oak. Highly glycemic foods are like creating a fire with pine. They flare up quickly, produce a lot of energy in a short amount of time, but then you need to add more fuel to the fire fairly soon to keep it going. Build a fire with slow burning hardwoods (low gylcemic carbohydrates) and you can keep it going for hours. These kinds of cravings tend to build quickly and are typically non-food specific. It's more a feeling of "OMG, I have to eat something NOW!".

Cravings for specific foods like pizza, chocolate, ice cream and so forth are more the mental/emotional desires borne out of habits and wants and often boredom. IMO, these have to be dealt with more from a position of willpower and counter desires to achieve something higher and better for yourself. And I'm not saying no pizza or chocolate or ice cream ever again. All things in balance and moderation. Just choose them from a position of control over yourself and the foods you choose to bring into your body, rather than simply reacting to a desire to want something to make you feel good for the moment. Also drink some water. The body often confuses "thirst" for "hunger". Stay well hydrated during the day and you may find that you are less "hungry" as well.

3. Food tips. How much time do you have? Eat a good breakfast to start your day, every day. It will help jump start your metabolism for the day and give your body energy it needs to get going. Try to eat a meal or a healthy snack every 2-3 hours. Build major meals around a some balance of low to medium gylcemic carbohydrates, lean proteins, and healthy fats/oils. Pay attention to portion control. A serving of protein is roughly the size of a deck of cards. A serving of whole grains is 1 ounce or 1 small slice of bread or about 1/2 cup cooked of things like pasta and rice. If you look at your dinner plate, try to fill up half of it with veggies, 1/4 with protein, and 1/4 with whole grains/starches. Veggies are your friend! And finally, love only those foods that love you back!

And congrats for taking control and trying to improve yourself. Diets don't work very well. Don't "go on" a diet. That implies that at some point you will "go off" your diet. Think instead about CHANGING your diet. Albert Einstein had a wonderful quote about insanity that I relate all the time to weight loss and weight management. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." If you want different results in the weight and shape of your body, you cannot do the same things that produced your current weight and shape. And if you do change things up in terms of changing the way you eat and the amount and/or type of exercise you engage in, and experience the results you seek, you cannot reasonably go back to your "old ways" without reasonably expecting the "old results".

Eat, move and meditate to support and improve that wonderful and beautiful physical form that is your body and your mind and it will reward you and thank you again and again each and every day!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)