YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Less time.....
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

pritgok
Posted 2006-05-23 6:21 AM (#53565)
Subject: Less time.....

Hi
i am new member do this grp.
i am working as computer prog. and every body in soft. feel got less time for there personnel life. My duty many times ranges from 8-12 hours.hence i don not get time for exersice my age is 22 and weight is 80 kgs i am very tense abt my weight and even i have big stummmuk size.
i have recentaly stared with nodishodana pranayam and bhujanga san can one suggest me some tips to reduce wight !!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-23 8:34 AM (#53572 - in reply to #53565)
Subject: RE: Less time.....

Yes,

first you must breathe fully

then learn to rest and relax fully

How are you going about learning how to breathe like a master yogi?

Posted 2006-05-23 8:53 AM (#53576 - in reply to #53565)

yes.

set up a boundary about work, and make time for exercise. 30 minutes a day is enough. even if you have to leave work and come back, then do that. prioritize exercise over work, and you'll be healthier faster.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-23 10:03 AM (#53584 - in reply to #53565)

Question: Posts: Hi. i am new member do this grp. i am working as computer prog. and every body in soft. feel got less time for there personnel life. My duty many times ranges from 8-12 hours.hence i don not get time for exersice my age is 22 and weight is 80 kgs i am very tense abt my weight and even i have big stummmuk size. i have recentaly stared with nodishodana pranayam and bhujanga san can one suggest me some tips to reduce wight !!!

===> Tips to reduce weight 1) Forget about Nadishodhan Pranayama for now. 2) Try to work less by proper planning or whatever it takes 3) Eat light food which must contain Green Salads, Fruits, etc. in small quantities. Try to eat only raw food if possible. Otherwise cooked whole food, such which is NOT polished. 4) Stop thinking about weight and use that time to go for running or fast walking.
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-05-23 11:02 PM (#53656 - in reply to #53565)

pritgok - 2006-05-23 5:21 AM

Hi
i am new member do this grp.
i am working as computer prog. and every body in soft. feel got less time for there personnel life. My duty many times ranges from 8-12 hours.hence i don not get time for exersice my age is 22 and weight is 80 kgs i am very tense abt my weight and even i have big stummmuk size.
i have recentaly stared with nodishodana pranayam and bhujanga san can one suggest me some tips to reduce wight !!!

Hey Friend,
I am also in software field for more than decade . I know we have project pressures, time bound delivery schedules and so on but finally it is up to us how we prioratise our tasks. May be for few months you can give more priority to Yoga than some other activities. Once you practice regularly it will become part of your life.

Since you intend to reduce weight you may find Yoga postures more benifitial than Pranayama. Something like Sun Salutations, jogging can be very helpful and time required is also less. If at all you want to try some pranayama I suggest Kapalabhati as it helps making abdominal wall thin. Also, control on diet is also something that you can look for.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-05-24 6:01 AM (#53673 - in reply to #53656)

Great advice. I also work in IT. Some tips :

1) Walk instead of taking the bus/train/car/plane where possible. If not possible to avoid this totally, try getting off a stop earlier and walking.

2) Go for a walk/swim/the Gym/do a yoga class at lunch-time. This will help clear your mind and wake you up as well as benefitting your health.

3) Do some yoga stretches / breathing at your desk.

The hours you are working are not good for you or your employer. There's plenty of evidence to support the 'healthy workforce is a productive workforce' view should you have issues from your bosses. From my union's web-site :

"Have you got your work-life balance right?

We're often being told that UK employees are worker harder than ever, but spending hours in the office is only one element of a bad work-life balance.

Often people think that they've got it right, but it is always a good idea to regularly take a moment and check just how much work has an influence on your own time. Try looking at the following ten questions. If you answer 'yes' to one or more then it might be that you could get a better work-life balance.

Do you find it hard to switch off from work?
Do you think colleagues who regularly leave work on time are slackers?
Do you get calls from work when you're not supposed to be working?
Do you usually eat lunch at your desk?
Do you ever check your phone messages or emails when on holiday?
If you ever work from home, is it on top of doing a normal working week?
Do you drive when you're feeling too tired to concentrate?
Have you ever missed a family or social event because of work?
Do you leave a work mobile phone on at night 'just in case'?
Do you sometimes feel you live to work?"

and

"Getting the balance right

It can be hard to recognise why you seem to be spending longer at work than with your friends and family - and even harder to work out how to reverse the situation so that you are more productive when you are at work and more fun when you aren't! Here are some general suggestions about how to start to tackle long working hours. Your branch or the union's Help Desk can also help if you encounter serious problems with stress or overwork.

Taking control of when, where and how we work is not easy, but it is worthwhile. By making yourself a promise if you succeed, (or a series of promises depending on the extent to which you succeed) you will be rewarding yourself for the necessary effort.

Draw up a list of things that you would do if you had more time. Now mark those most important to you, and promise yourself that if you can reduce working excessive hours you will reward yourself by getting to do one or more of these.

Set yourself realistic objectives
If you are currently working excessive hours it may not be realistic to assume that you can change this pattern immediately. You may need to set yourself some milestones:

f you want to tackle a problem you first need to quantify it. By recording the number of hours you work you will be taking the first step towards getting control of them.

Once you have recorded how many hours you are working, you might decide to reduce your working week by a realistic figure each week.

If you must work late, then seek to reclaim the time owed. If you are expected to stay late, or come in at the weekend, you may be eligible to be paid overtime, or allowed to take the time off in lieu. For further advice contact Connect.

Talk to your colleagues and your manager and seek support.
You could decide that you will go home on time one night a week (and if this is successful you could increase it to two, then three, and eventually each night). Take a lunch break away from your desk; even if it is not for a full hour. However busy you are, it is worth getting up from your desk, walking around, saying hello to a few people, reading a newspaper or just unwinding. Your concentration will improve. If you eat at your desk, you will be more likely to answer the phone, or the email; this is not a lunch break. Turn off your mobile when you are at lunch; remember it has an voicemail facility.

Set appropriate rules that work for you about if and when you will respond to calls outside of normal working hours. Take your holidays; you've earned them and you deserve them.

By setting realistic targets and ensuring you stick to them you can begin to achieve the work-life balance that is appropriate for you. Every individual has their own formula for a work-life balance, choose what is important to you and what works for you.

Discussing issues with colleagues
If you are concerned about long hours at work, then discuss this with your colleagues. Excessive hours are bad for workers and for business, you are not being disloyal, but contributing to resolving an obstacle to efficiency.

If you have calculated your average hours and they are excessive; tell your colleagues and ask them to count theirs. If it's a common problem with colleagues in your work group then seek to have it raised at a team meeting.

Ask that everyone in the team seeks to count their hours for a trial period, and collate a 'weekly average' for the section.

One of the most effective ways of demonstrating how counter productive long hours can be, is to propose that for a trial week everyone goes home on time. To ensure the work is completed, get people to think about how time is wasted.

Can some tasks be streamlined (i.e. by using IT more effectively)?

Are all those meetings really necessary, and does everyone really need to attend?

Is consideration given to the travelling time when setting the start time for meetings?

Do people turn up on time, and how much of the meeting is 'dead time' waiting for latecomers?

Could the meetings be made shorter?

Can you agree a fixed finishing time?

You might also agree that there is not an expectation that colleagues will respond to emails at weekends, and that after 5pm only essential phone calls will be made.

Raise your concerns with your manager
Expressing concerns over your workload and excessive hours when you have progress meetings with your manager is NOT a sign of weakness or of failure. It is part of your professional responsibility to manage your own health and safety and that of others. In corporate negotiations employers' representatives often point out that they cannot address these issues if they are not raised at a local level by individuals directly affected. Ensure that your concerns are recorded and seek an 'action point' or at least a review of your workload. Taking control of when, where and how we work is not easy, but it is worthwhile. By making yourself a promise if you succeed, (or a series of promises depending on the extent to which you succeed) you will be rewarding yourself for the necessary effort."

Fee

tourist
Posted 2006-05-24 10:13 AM (#53688 - in reply to #53673)

Expert Yogi

Orbilia - 2006-05-24 3:01 AM
1) Walk instead of taking the bus/train/car/plane where possible. If not possible to avoid this totally, try getting off a stop earlier and walking.

I would give anyone who takes a plane to work a little bit of a break. They probably don't really have time to walk! And getting off one stop earlier means parachuting, which really messes up the hair and outift.....
Orbilia
Posted 2006-05-24 10:56 AM (#53697 - in reply to #53688)

Ok, ok, I *knew* that one was going to cause me grief

Same thing applies in some ways through..... walk up and down the aisle, seated exercises..... walk in the terminus rather than using the moving pavements *LOL*

Fee
tourist
Posted 2006-05-24 7:09 PM (#53762 - in reply to #53697)

Expert Yogi

pritgok
Posted 2006-05-26 3:38 PM (#54046 - in reply to #53565)

I am 101% agree to all of u !!! that joging like solutions are always better but due to less time or even in rainy sesion this is not passible .i was expecting name or procedures of some yogas that i can perform at my place i can easily allocate 1/2 hour for exercise!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)