YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help! Just had a baby!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

GreenLotus
Posted 2006-06-08 6:26 PM (#55239)
Subject: Help! Just had a baby!!

Hey all! I just had a baby 4 months ago and am really out of shape! After 35 hours of labor I had her by c-section. I've been down on myself about my weight and everything the past month or so I took a deep breath and am ready to get things back in order!! I need to lose about 40 pounds. I have changed my eating habits a bit but generally I eat fairly good. I love whole grains and veggies so that helps!

I've dabbled with hatha yoga for the past 3-4 years on and off and am ready to get back into it. I was wondering what you all think are the best poses to help build core strength. My whole body is fairly weak right now, but I need the most help with my abs muscles! My daughter stretched my stomach so far I don't know if it will ever go back! I'm a mess here!

Thanks so much for your help!

Have a great day!

Niki

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-06-08 6:42 PM (#55240 - in reply to #55239)
Subject: RE: Help! Just had a baby!!

Expert Yogi

Niki - congrats on your baby! First of all, the most important thing to do is to enjoy this time with her. I just had a baby, too. Then I blinked and suddenly he is 25 and his sister is 23 Everyone will be telling you that, but you need to believe it is true.

Next, understand that you do NOT need to lose 40 lbs and work on your abs. You need to eat well (sounds like you are on the right track there...), get some regular movement happening and make sure to take time to care for yourself. The magazines and TV would have you believe that "taking time for yourself" means going to a spa, shopping or "date nights" either with your husband or girlfriends. None of which are bad in themselves, but it will work a lot better for you to incorporate these things into your regular life and not look at them as things outside daily life.

At 4 months post partum and a C-sec at that, you will need to ease into asana practice carefully, for sure. If you go to class, let the teacher know. If you are working with books or dvd's, start with gentle stuff and be sure not to overdo. In a few weeks you will be feeling stronger, assuming you practice daily, or almost daily and will be able to do more. Don't rush. I am still working on that last 15 lbs. of baby weight and honestly, at 50, it helps fill out the wrinkles a bit
Debby
Posted 2006-06-08 9:46 PM (#55257 - in reply to #55240)

tourist - 2006-06-08 4:42 PM

I just had a baby, too. Then I blinked and suddenly he is 25 and his sister is 23

Boy isn't that the truth!

Welcome to motherhood Niki! Losing the weight is the least of your problems now!
Actually, what tourist said makes a lot of sense. If you can get to a class that would be good, otherwise trying to do a home practice will be difficult (but not impossible) with an infant with a changing schedule. GOOD LUCK!

Peace,
Deb
P.S. I wish you some sleep!
trikotripod
Posted 2006-06-09 6:40 AM (#55284 - in reply to #55239)

There's a good reason why we gain fat during pregnancy. It is not just some useless side effect. We need it for making all that good fatty breast milk. So just exercise moderately and eat well. Don't be negative toward your body because it housed and grew a little baby. How amazing is that? When you nurse your baby think of it as a fat transfer and make that baby chubby. I was upset over my post partum body after my two and I really regret that. Some of that came from our fat phobic culture and some came from me. The textbooks say pregnant women should gain 7 lbs. of fat for breastmilk production, but we all know this just isn't true for everyone. In both of my pregnancies I gained over the 'recommended amount' and it all came off. I am now proud of my weight gain because without it I doubt I could have generated rich enough breastmilk or had enough energy. So don't beat yourself up and just know that your body knows what it is doing and of course, congratulations.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-09 10:11 AM (#55300 - in reply to #55284)

Expert Yogi

Excellent reply, triko - my former lactation consultant self bows down to you Yes, it is nice to "get back to normal" (all mothers now chuckle at that misguided thought Normal? What's normal?!) and feel good in your body again. We don't want to minimize that sense of wanting to healthy and fit again. Just to put it in perspective and not spoil this all-too-brief time with obsession with diets and exercise. Life is too short and babies grow up fast
yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-09 2:30 PM (#55322 - in reply to #55239)

congrats !!!!!!!!!!
samantha77
Posted 2006-06-11 10:49 AM (#55474 - in reply to #55239)

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations on the new baby, and welcome to the forum.  You'll get alot of support here as you adjust motherhood.

Samantha

trikotripod
Posted 2006-06-11 11:47 AM (#55497 - in reply to #55300)

tourist - 2006-06-09 10:11 AM

Excellent reply, triko - my former lactation consultant self bows down to you Yes, it is nice to "get back to normal" (all mothers now chuckle at that misguided thought Normal? What's normal?!) and feel good in your body again. We don't want to minimize that sense of wanting to healthy and fit again. Just to put it in perspective and not spoil this all-too-brief time with obsession with diets and exercise. Life is too short and babies grow up fast

You were a lactation consultant? I am forever indebted to a particular lactation consultant who gave me great advice over the phone when I was suffering from a plugged duct. What made you give it up?
tourist
Posted 2006-06-12 10:47 AM (#55577 - in reply to #55497)

Expert Yogi

triko - it was a fun time in my life but essentially, I was ahead of my time with that occupation. In Canada we have socialized health care and people were not prepared to spend money on "extras" like lactation consultants. Plus it was a very new field and most people had never heard of it. The medical establishment was unaware or leery of us back inte 80's, as well. I was recently told that there are now 5 certified LC's on staff at our local hospital - good ones - which is great. Back then we had a bit of a Yogafit situation where the nurses would go and get the LC cert. just to have the initials on their names then go back and practice the same old stuff they did before I worked with La Leche League for many years as well. I miss the little babies and all the lovely pregnant moms, not to mention the other astounding women there - very strong and empowered
GreenLotus
Posted 2006-06-13 11:18 PM (#55751 - in reply to #55239)

Thanks for the congrats! I'm not breastfeeding so I'm ready to lose the weight! I'd still love a couple of recommendations of great core building poses!! I'm taking things slowly and am in no rush but would like to get the ball rolling to get back into shape. My daughter Trinity and I are going to start a mommy and baby yoga class this fall.. that should be great!!

Thanks again for the well wishes!!

Niki

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)