YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

questions from a beginner
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

beefmerciful
Posted 2005-10-29 5:29 PM (#35416)
Subject: questions from a beginner

i have recently dedicated my efforts to meditating every day. i have a very unstable personality, that is, some days i am alert, charismatic and fearless, yet most days i am shy and awkward. It's as if I am more than one person in a single body. I feel as if the first personality I mentioned is my true self, and so I meditate to free my real personality.

Lately, I have experienced negative reactions to meditation. The other night before bed, I meditated on my family and friends and by the end of the session I was radiant and I slept very well. The next day I felt very anxious. I went out to eat with friends and then to a Halloween party, and I could barely make conversation because I was wrestling with so much negative energy.

I am reading Kathleen McDonald's "How to Meditate", and she describes such experiences as normal for a beginner, but it's very frustrating and I'd like to get some feedback.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-29 10:23 PM (#35424 - in reply to #35416)
Subject: RE: questions from a beginner

It's pretty normal.  You're mind will do just about anything to get out of doing the meditation.  If you're feeling or doing something really odd, get a reality check from your peers.  Often you'll find it's more anxiety than anything.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-29 10:48 PM (#35426 - in reply to #35416)

beefmerciful:
Feedback: These experiences are not normal. The experiences should be positive in the maintenance of meditation, though they can be slightly unpleasant at times. I do not know what you mean by meditation, what you are doing, where you learnt it, etc. I do not know why you are meditating of your family. All these are necesary for anyone to give feedback. Anyway, you need to learn the meditation from a reliable source, be it of whatever kind. Then, you have to trust in that source, and that source should be able to answer questions you get.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
satori
Posted 2005-11-23 10:21 AM (#37338 - in reply to #35416)

Hi,

I meditate regularly and based on what I know and experience it is important to ground onself before you begin meditation. Grounding helps to relieve fear or worries temporarily and if you are a a religious person, ask for protection prior to your meditation practice. It will help alot.
For grounding, visualise a brlliant white light of ball above your head and in your mind's eye, see it slowly penetrate your head and all the way down to your feet. After that, visualise a stream of bright light penetrating your feet and slowly moving up to your body. As the light moves upwards, see it expanding until you are fully wrap up by this ball of light. Take your time to practise this grounding visualisation and see it works for you.

cheers,
satori
Paul B
Posted 2005-12-03 9:45 AM (#38098 - in reply to #35416)

When I first started meditating I experienced altered states of mind.  I have experienced many techniques, and much like what you described as your personality, I experienced. 

Out of all the different meditations (searching) I have done, I was able to experience lasting results when I started questioning myself about my motives, and following those thoughts. 

My mind would wonder off the original question and with practice I was/am able to bring it back and continue.

Throughout the process much of the "negativity" I would expreience was revealed to me as bodily sensations that I ask myself if I could let go if, and did.  This was not in my head, mostly in the chest and stomach area (referring to the sensations).

By discovering the source of fellings of unhappiness (usually wanting control, acceptance, and security) and letting go you will uncover and discover your natural happiness with less and less interruptions. 

Blessings,

Paul 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)