YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wobbling??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

mrsjones
Posted 2005-11-08 6:47 AM (#36085)
Subject: Wobbling??

Hello,

I'm a student and last week I had to study for some really hard tests. To 'de-stress' I wanted to try some meditation. I don't know much about meditation, so I just sat down in my room (I do know it has to be quiet), straightened my back and started to focus on my breathing with my eyes closed. After a few minutes my eyes started to ... roll or something (I don't know how to explain it). It felt really strange, but on the other side it felt good too, so I just continued. It was so bizarre! My body started to 'wobble' to the right and to the left, and after a while I became a bit dizzy. Then, it felt like my body was stretching or something. OK, while typing this I do realize it sounds weird, , but is there someone who recognizes this? Am I doing someting terribly wrong?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-08 8:04 AM (#36088 - in reply to #36085)
Subject: RE: Wobbling??

I haven't had those exact experiences, but it's common to have interesting effects from meditation.  Generally these are distractions caused by the mind in an attempt to prevent you from meditating.

If you're really serious about learning meditation, it's strongly advised that you find a good teacher, and take some classes.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-08 10:22 AM (#36092 - in reply to #36085)

mrs jones:
this is my response. From what you wrote, you should discard your experience, it has no value. Since you studied too hard, your nervous system was tired. When tired, whatever you did can not be called meditation. You tried to focus while the nervous system is tired, while actually you needed rest, which I am almost sure you could not easily take due to Hype reached in the studies. So, the reaction you got is not to be analysed. Just have some recreation, such as holdidaying, or gossiping, or movie, or such. With time, that hype will disappear.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
jcharron003
Posted 2005-11-08 7:50 PM (#36119 - in reply to #36085)

Music helps!

Edited by jcharron003 2005-11-08 7:51 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-11-08 8:10 PM (#36126 - in reply to #36119)

Expert Yogi

Neel is right on with this. When the nervous system is under stress, it is a good idea to rest, not take on something new. The thing is that meditation, like yoga asana, is a wonderful way to help the body, brain and spirit DEAL with stress. A solid, long-standing practice of yoga and/or meditation allows you to respond to stress differently and not absorb so much of it into your system. Meditaiton can be a very demanding practice and has to be done carefully. Lying down comfortably and listening to music is a great way to let stress ease out of the body. Doing some yoga poses is also good. But meditation is not like taking a pill for stress. You can't go and get yourself all tense and then meditate to release it. It is much more like an athlete practicing for a race - if you do lots of high quality preparation, the race will not stress your body so much.
belovedofthegod
Posted 2005-11-08 8:53 PM (#36129 - in reply to #36085)

Hello mrsjone,

Its good you are interested in meditation, but it is best learned in a more relaxed time. If you learn and practice it under simple conditions first, it can be used effectively to relieve stress when it arrises. However, it is extremely difficult to actually learn meditation under stressful conditions.

As has been said in previous posts, lying down and listening to relaxing music might be a better idea. When you have less work to do, you can try to learn how to meditate. Once you learn the basics, it will be possible to use what you have learnt to cope with stressful situations.

So basically, I agree with all the previous posts,

Regards.

Edited by belovedofthegod 2005-11-08 8:55 PM
mrsjones
Posted 2005-11-09 3:49 AM (#36155 - in reply to #36085)

Hello,

Thanks for the answers! Haha, so I don't have to worry, that's good. I'm thinking of taking lessons. My grandfather also meditates and he has a whole network of people that meditate, so I'll ask him about it.

Again, thanks.
tourist
Posted 2005-11-09 10:46 AM (#36188 - in reply to #36155)

Expert Yogi

Great idea! How long has grandpa been meditating? Must be a cool guy
mrsjones
Posted 2005-11-09 1:18 PM (#36207 - in reply to #36085)

Well, for quite some time now... Five years, I guess. He goes to Nepal every year with my grandmother. Since his first visit he started building this network of Nepali people, people that meditate, etc. They know Nepali people throughout the country (we live in Holland).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)