YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sitting meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

hippogriff
Posted 2005-10-16 5:22 PM (#34513)
Subject: sitting meditation

Good day all,

I'm a newbie to meditation. I have been trying the sitting meditation but cant seem to get a position where my body is relaxed. Either my legs have tension or my back has tension. Probably because I'm leaning too far forward or too far back. I just cant figure out how to get totaly comfortable while sitting crosslegged.

Any tips or tricks sure would be appreciated.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-16 7:51 PM (#34515 - in reply to #34513)
Subject: RE: sitting meditation

I like to kneel, sitting on a block. works for me, hope it helps you.

tourist
Posted 2005-10-16 9:12 PM (#34520 - in reply to #34513)

Expert Yogi

Well, the TM (Transcendental Meditation) people just sit in a straight backed chair. Hatha yogis would say you need to prepare your body with asana and pranayama before even starting meditation because you can't clear your mind if your body is aching. Meditation is not as simple as it looks
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-16 9:43 PM (#34523 - in reply to #34520)

tourist - 2005-10-16 9:12 PMHatha yogis would say you need to prepare your body with asana and pranayama before even starting meditation because you can't clear your mind if your body is aching. Meditation is not as simple as it looks

I think that's a bit like starting a fire with lighter fluid, instead of using a pointy stick and some tender. 

Anyway, I usually sit cross legged, indian style if you will.  The Zen monks usually sit like Anya mentions, or Za-zen if you will.  I've also been told that it help enormously if you put a rolled up towel under your bum, since it pushing your pelvis forward, and naturally straightens your spine.  Try a couple different things, and see what works for you.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-16 10:50 PM (#34528 - in reply to #34513)

Hippogriff:

1. Try another sitting posture which is relaxed.

2. If all sitting postures are NOT relaxed, then choose one and master that posture until it becomes relaxed, and then go to meditation.

3. Hathayoga helps the meditation, not only by preparing body, but by preparing it in many ways which includes, body, breath, attention, focus, etc. However, there is NO need to wait to start meditation until one feels that he is good in Hathayoga. If one has a comfortable sitting posture, one must start meditation with that posture for whatever comfortable time. To practice Hathayoga only for body usage without meditation is almost synonymous with fitness and NON-yoga.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
PollyWolly
Posted 2005-10-17 3:42 PM (#34579 - in reply to #34513)

I had the same problem. Either my legs were tense or my back was. What I did was when I sit, try to balance. What you do is sit in whatever position you want and then slowly lean forward and slowly lean back. You will start to become aware of a point in between where you fee the least tense. (There will still be a little tension because it takes muscles to support your body's posture if you don't always sit that way. Eventually though it becomes less tense as you become used to it.) It's all balance.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-17 11:31 PM (#34612 - in reply to #34513)

That seems like a good method. Thanks for sharing Pollywolly. However, in some cases, it is NOT all balance.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)